Frozen foods.. Lean Cusin, smart ones, etc

Options
enzaloccisano
enzaloccisano Posts: 34 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
First off, please add me! Are these frozen meals good? If so which are the best ones? I need some ideas for lunch at work for days I can't prep. TYIA

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I used to be big on the Lean Cuisines, especially when I was working in freezing cold warehouse and couldn't face eating cold lunches every day. I love the pasta ones, but for healthier eating, the roasted chicken ones are a bit better for you- The roasted chicken and veggie, chicken stir fry, and the chicken pecan were my favs.

The slightly healthier and more budget conscious trick is to make a big crockpot of something on the weekends, then freeze it in portions then you always have something fast to grab on your rush out the door.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love the lean cuisines in the black boxes. I haven't found one yet I don't like. My faves are Orange chicken and the Vermont white cheddar Mac and cheese. I've tried the healthy choice ones they just seem really watery and bland in my opinion.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I love frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, Evol Foods, Amy's Organic, Healthy Choice, etc. I think they're awesome for single serve convenience meals providing variety so you don't end up eating the same thing every day like I have a tendency of doing out of pure laziness to cook. Sure, cooking your own meals may be healthier, but sometimes it's nice not worrying about that! I really enjoy any brand's Swedish Meatballs (discovered Lean Cuisine's first), but my absolute favorite(s) from Lean Cuisine are the Mushroom Mezzaluna Ravioli (tastes just like the Ravioli di Portobello from Olive Garden), Chicken Carbonara, and the Roasted Turkey Breast with Cinnamon Apples. They had a line of salad additions and I really liked all of those, but I think they discontinued them and I haven't had the chance to try some of their newer stuff yet! I like a lot from Healthy Choice, but my favorite has always been the Pumpkin Squash Ravioli just because it reminds me of fall!
  • nixter1911
    nixter1911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to (and am about to get back into!) eat Smart Ones every day. I'm a teacher so I don't get much time for lunch and these things have been my savior! A few years ago when I was eating one every day, I didn't really lose weight, but I wasn't working out so I just maintained where I was. Now that I'm working out I hope I'll start to shed some pounds! The only thing I noticed is that they have quite a bit of sodium.
  • brittnee914
    brittnee914 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started last week but all I have eaten for lunch and dinner are the lean cuisine meals. I lost 9 pounds! I think they taste good. And they are a better option for me right now, just starting out because it's giving me the portion I need to eat and I don't get to go back for seconds. But honestly they fill me up :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I like the Healthy Choice steamer baskets.
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals aren't bad, but there are other options. Cold turkey sandwich or a pita wrap are my quick meals when I can't prep.
  • BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the Healthy Choice Steamers. They have quite a bit of variety and they usually fill me up. If I'm extra hungry, I'll pair one with fresh fruits or veggies, such as sugar snap peas or strawberries.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of frozen meals because of the sodium, but I love Amy's! They're a little more expensive and caloric than the other options mentioned, but they use organic ingredients and have fewer preservatives. My favorites are their bowls, macaroni and cheese, and matar paneer if you like Indian. I could eat that last one every day! Amy's soups and refritos are also tasty.
  • enzaloccisano
    enzaloccisano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah the sodium on these meals are a killer!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First off, please add me! Are these frozen meals good? If so which are the best ones? I need some ideas for lunch at work for days I can't prep. TYIA

What does "good" mean?

IMO -

Pros: They can be an easy way to manage portion sizes. They are extremely convenient.
    Cons: Can be hard to balance micros/macros if you eat them often.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Other idea? Buy already cooked grilled chicken breasts. Also find individual pack of frozen veggies (at any store).
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    They aren't something I'll eat every day because of the sodium BUT it is nice to add 2 or so a month to my lunch mix just for variety! I like the Healthy Choice steamers.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Exactly. I won't eat them due to sodium, makes my BP spike. Past that I won't eat them either. Ever look at the chicken in them? It's not real chicken, some kind of chicken byproducts with some soylent green mixed in. No thanks.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you like small serving sizes of bland food, sure. I would personally rather eat just about anything else. I left frozen dinners back in my miserable 1200 calorie diet days - never again.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The sodium isn't that bad, I've had Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones. As long as you log it and it fits in your calorie goals, it's fine. Sodium is an electrolyte and our bodies need it. Unless you have a medical condition sodium isn't even a concern.

That said, I like the fettucine alfredo, mini rigatoni with vodka, and the five cheese rigatoni from Lean Cuisine. The pizza ones are terrible. And my absolutel favorite LC is the vermont mac and cheddar one.

I did stop buying frozen meals due to cost, but if I had to work a full time job and only had a microwave then I'd do the same thing.

I also second Amy's meals. Almost all of them are very good.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Exactly. I won't eat them due to sodium, makes my BP spike. Past that I won't eat them either. Ever look at the chicken in them? It's not real chicken, some kind of chicken byproducts with some soylent green mixed in. No thanks.

How is that helpful for the OP? Surely she can look at the box and decide for herself if it works for her or not. Just because you have bp issues doesn't mean the OP will. She was asking about which ones were good and not, not the sodium content.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all the time. Lean Cuisine Mac n Cheese, Spag & meatballs, Vermont White Cheddar Mac n Cheese, Smart Ones Ziti, Rice and beans and although they were convenient, and I lost a great 50 lbs on them (mainly because of portion control), I did end up getting bored with them, PLUS once I sat down with a nutritionist and was instructed to watch my micros/macros they kind of went out the door as there's no way to maintain for starters sodium levels on those. They "eat" up a big chunk of your basic needs, even if calorie wise some are pretty decent. Not to mention sugar too!
    I'd say if you're starting, they're a great way to get into a healthier option than where you might be at, but eventually you might find yourself phasing them out for different options like the prep crock pot over the weekend, or wraps, etc.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I keep one or two in the freezer at work at all times for emergencies (I try to bring my lunch every day, but sometimes stuff happens and I can't get out at lunchtime to get something that fits my day). I wouldn't choose to eat them, generally, and they always blow my macros (too many carbs, too little fat and protein) and my sodium, but they're better than not eating at all.

Honestly, as much as these things are generally quite low on protein anyway, I try to stay away from ones with meat. There's just something about the texture of it, no matter what it is, that I find offputting. I like the tomato pastas and most of the pizzas from Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones. And the cheddar/potato/broccoli Lean Cuisine isn't bad.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make my own freezer meals, but that's just because I can't find any that are as filling or tasty as the way I make them. Nothing is better than having meals ready to just pop in the microwave.