I have a question for the ladies.

Options
I am trying to weigh myself once a week just to make sure I'm staying on track. But, I know that during my cycle/period, I'm a little bloated. I try to drink lots of water though to help combat this.

My question is: would you weigh yourself during the week of your period?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sure, but I'd just remember that it was that week and a 'gain' probably isn't.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes because it's still important to distingish, how much weight is from your TOM & how much is due to your nutrition/fitness, month to month. This is how I know that I gain approximately 5 pounds & an inch around my waist (I only measure my waist). This was also how I knew that I had gained, an additional 4 pounds of water weight; after taking an antibiotic as well during 1 of those months.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sure, go ahead. Just don't think too much of it if you're on your period and you've gone up a bit. If you record your weight every week then you may eventually start to see a pattern of how much you gain around that time and how much you lose after it.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes because it's still important to distingish, how much weight is from your TOM & how much is due to your nutrition/fitness, month to month. This is how I know that I gain approximately 5 pounds & an inch around my waist (I only measure my waist). This was also how I knew that I had gained, an additional 4 pounds of water weight; after taking an antibiotic as well during 1 of those months.

Ahhhh....ok. That makes sense. Especially because I'm trying to maintain my weight by building a lot of extra muscle.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I like watching the fluctuations and knowing what I can attribute those fluctuations to.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ahhhh....ok. That makes sense. Especially because I'm trying to maintain my weight by building a lot of extra muscle.

You'll gain weight by building muscle but the weight'll just be via the muscle gain, not additional fat; unless you consume more calories than you burn.
  • Frostythesnowgal
    Frostythesnowgal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sale. I always sneak onto one at a friend's house or in a doc's office. If I did have a scale, I would way myself every day, including my period days.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I skip it. See how you feel and what works best for you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

You'll gain weight by building muscle but the weight'll just be via the muscle gain, not additional fat; unless you consume more calories than you burn.

nope, when you gain muscle you gain fat as well,it may not be much or it may be a lot it all depends but you will still gain it(nothing you can do but to lose it later) . they say the "cleaner" you eat the less it will be. but nor sure if thats true or not. also any weight you see on the scale at first, most likely wont be muscle as its harder and takes longer for most women to gain muscle because we dont have high levels of testosterone. just like when you lose weight you lose some muscle and fat which is why its recommended to get enough protein and lift while losing weight.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every few days when I was losing weight. I've been in maintenance since April and I weigh less frequently now. Still at least once every couple of weeks. I give myself +/-3lbs on my maintenance weight and don't sweat movements within that range. I don't bother weighing during my period any more as I know I'll be a couple of pounds up, but that it'll go again in a few days. For me it's been a gradual relaxation - I'm steadily getting less scale-obsessed!
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    just a personal thing, i have found it best to weigh every day, BUT it can be easy to become OBSESSIVE about the scales, so although I do weigh daily, I only log it about once a week. It keeps me from going nuts because OMG i gained a couple oz.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself the week after my period, as a rule... that's when I retain the least water, so it's easier to watch my trend that way.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do every single day... There have even been times when I was a little under before and during TOM. The scale is only for accountability and I give my self a range instead of a spot on exact scale weight.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I try to understand my body. Even if the scale jumps due to TOM, it is all part of my normal dynamic.
  • MichelleMyBelle86
    MichelleMyBelle86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh during period week - it just makes me feel poo when I see an increase!
    Other than that, I weigh every Friday morning when I first get up.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't have a period anymore (IUD), but I still gain weight at certain points in my cycle. I use trendweight.com to keep from freaking out about gains, and I find it useful to see the numbers tick upward; so when I'm moody and craving EVERYTHING I can look at the trend and go 'Oh. It's you.'
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but I don't freak out when I see the number.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I feel heavy, the scale will reflect it. So what's the point in seeing it? I'm bulking and am about to start my period. I probably won't get to check in before it starts and won't weigh in until about 3-4 days after it ends. It's not fun to be purposely gaining weight and then see EVEN MORE than what you planned on gaining.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly daily to keep an eye on my overall health. (I have a couple of problems that will effect my weight in both directions.) I just log the number and move on, then check back for trends once I have 5 or so data points that are different.

I've been doing this for YEARS, so I can tell you that I gain 3-5 pounds every TOM, and 5 lbs every time I travel out of town - 10 lbs if it's for longer than a week (Yes, it's water. Again with the problems that make me a special snowflake.) I also put on 3 lbs the day after lifting and it goes away again after 2.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options

just a personal thing, i have found it best to weigh every day, BUT it can be easy to become OBSESSIVE about the scales, so although I do weigh daily, I only log it about once a week. It keeps me from going nuts because OMG i gained a couple oz.

I definitely don't weigh everyday. Usually once a week at the most. Sometimes I'll go a whole month without getting on the scale. I'm pretty good at listening to my body & I'd rather see results there or in the mirror.