Range of motion issues

Options
Thequietone27
Thequietone27 Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Kay you beautiful people, I need advice/guidance.

I broke my arm back in August, and although I started with physio less than a week after surgery, I have not regained full range of motion. Nor will I in the foreseeable future.

For the first 4 months we made great progress in terms of gaining 3-5 degrees each time we measured. Then I stagnated. Upon routine follow up with my surgeon, he discovered extra bone growth/ calcification near the injury site (the break itself healed wonderfully). My next measurement at physio revealed that I had lost 5°, 10°, and 10° in the three movements I was just getting back. My physio therapist says that what's blocking movement isn't a muscle or ligament issue, she can feel the bony protrusion blocking it. (I guess hitting hard matter feels different then just under stretched soft tissue, I'm not a professional, I don't know).

My question is, what can I do in terms of excerising with my busted arm. I cannot straiten it, curl it, or put my Palm downward. I used to love getting my cardio on by boxing but that is out of the question now. Push ups and planks are out. Am I limited to walking and elliptical?

And for anyone who's nosey, I'm going for a CT scan soon and more follow up with the surgeon to find out what can be done and when surgery to remove the extra bone thing will happen.

Replies

• MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great question for a physiotherapist
  • Thequietone27
    Options
    MrsJBro wrote: »
    Great question for a physiotherapist

She's not too concerned with my weight loss issues. And my town is too small to have a gym or a personal trainer.

Any personal trainers or physio therapists on here wanna give it a go?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Belly dance, other dance or cardio, water aerobics, and lots of yoga or Pilates if you skip moves. Can you get on your elbows? If you can, you can do a lot more of the yoga, etc. Just do it from the elbows instead of palms unless the move just won't work that way.
  • Thequietone27
    Options
    Belly dance, other dance or cardio, water aerobics, and lots of yoga or Pilates if you skip moves. Can you get on your elbows? If you can, you can do a lot more of the yoga, etc. Just do it from the elbows instead of palms unless the move just won't work that way.

I cant do anything with my elbow since that's where the break was. Sheared the radial head from my radius :( but dancing sounds like a good option
  • Thequietone27
    Options
    For anyone curious about the break / extra boney thing. Also have a calcification on a ligament in the same area but not shown here. http://imgur.com/gallery/s4KLd
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Since you love boxing, could you do shadow boxing or some form of cardio kickboxing? Or are even non-contact movements too jarring for your arm? Most of the power for punches comes from the core/shoulder and not the arm itself. You could feint jabs, but uppercuts and hooks should be within your range of motion. Or you could focus on footwork.

Sorry to hear about your busted arm. Hope you get good news with the surgeon.