Feeling discouraged

Options
Hello All,

I'm LOVING MFP. I use it every day. I originally started on my own and was at 141.5 lbs so I've actually lost 4 lbs since I started. But, now I'm suck. I really want to get to about 20% body fat. I don't know what my percentage is now but I think it's around 30. Anybody have any tips or encouragement? Anybody with similar goals?

Replies

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hey, it sounds like you're doing okay. Make sure you are not setting your daily calories too low. Initial weight loss is usually water weight, but continued weight loss is contingent on restricting calories and increasing exercise. Are you working out with weights? What's your aerobic routine?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Lowering your body fat is really about eating at a mild deficit while lifting weights to preserve what lean mass that you have.

Losing muscle along with the fat won't make you look leaner, just a softer smaller version of yourself. At a healthy weight this is called "skinny fat." By preserving or building a little muscle you will look tighter.
  • ebscrebs
    ebscrebs Posts: 17
    Options
    My workout routine is essentially running about 40-60 minutes every other day, strength training in between. I do calisthenics and body weight strength exercises. I'm working on increasing my running speed. I'm keeping my calories low, and was doing a net of 1200, but to achieve 2 lbs per week I lowered my net, and do a gross of 1200. I'm already feeling like giving up. Buckets of food are calling my name. But I'm going to ride it out and see how next week goes.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Grossing 1200 isn't enough calories for you. At least go back to net 1200, if not more. I run 3 days a week for 30 minutes, do the elliptical 3 days a week for 30 minutes and strength train with machines and free weights for about 20 minutes each day alternating between upper and lower body each day. I sit a good portion of the day at work but have some days when I walk 5000-10000 steps at work. I eat 1700-1800 calories a day and I've gone from 41.4% body fat to 27.2% and continue to lose around a pound a week.

I repeat, increase your calories! You'll see results after a couple of weeks. You feel like giving up because you're starving!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Congrats losing 4 pounds already! Strength training and making sure your eating enough calories is going to help lower your body fat percentage and make you look strong and toned! Feel free to add me if you want another friend since I am on every day!
  • ebscrebs
    ebscrebs Posts: 17
    Options
    OK thanks I'll try it out and see how it goes. I'd really really really like to shed this fat.