What to do to get motivated to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For one thing, motivation is an emotion...and a fleeting one at that. Nobody is 100% motivated all of the time and we all do things every single day for which we may or may not necessarily be particularly motivated to do...but we do them because they must be done. I wasn't particularly motivated to come to work today, but here I am because I have a commitment to be here and other commitments and obligations that require money and thus work.

Secondly, it is important to find things that you more or less enjoy doing...you still aren't going to be motivated all of the time to do them, but if you more or less enjoy the activity you do, you're much more likely to do them even on *kitten* days.

Thirdly, stop thinking of exercise as this extra thing and start looking at it like any other daily obligation...eventually it becomes habit and frankly at this point I don't feel that my day is complete if I haven't gotten in some kind of workout...even on my rest/recovery days, I walk the dog and do some yoga or play outside with my boys or go on a family bike ride, etc. Exercise is just a big part of my life...I feel better when I exercise regularly and it is very important to my overall wellness and health.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I do two things to get motivated. 1) I take a long look at my wife and son, and see how much I want to be around for them, and 2). I look in the mirror. Both are pretty effective motivators for me.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is you just have to do it. I'm having a harder time dragging myself out of bed for the gym lately because it's so dark and cold out. What helps me is keeping in mind that the other people at the gym are sucking up the cold mornings, so I'm going to as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    We are not always going to "feel motivated". In fact, usually we might not "feel motivated". I don't even think about whether I "feel motivated", I just do what I've decided I want/need to do. Feelings are way too fickle.

Establish a plan and follow it. Develop good habits, then do them.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is like the best thread ever!

I also have a problem getting motivated. I think what I am going to do is post a picture of "fat me" on my bathroom mirror....
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    "Motivation" comes from within IMO.
    For me, its just remembering Newtons first law of motion...... An object at rest stays at rest. An object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
    Get out of your own way. Just GO. Just MOVE.

Putting this on my bathroom mirror. :smiley:

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I always sign up for a running race a few months ahead. Then if I don't train this week I know I will suffer when race day comes along. My next race is a 10k in March. After that it's a hilly 6k in June, then an 8k in August. I don't "race" these, I just try to finish comfortably with not too much walking.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I only earn about 400 calories from the exercise I do and only eat half so it isn't a lot but very important to me. That's my main motivation.

I have a Fit Bit Zip. Watching the steps stack up is motivating. I am always trying to get more. Seeing the low number helps me get going in the morning. If I am feeling lazy, I will make deals with myself - 5k steps and then I can read my book for 30 minutes or cross stitch. Usually if I do the 5k steps I will go to 10k just to get it done.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My weight set up is here in my den ever taunting me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just get out the door and do something you find pleasant, or not too hard, at least. Even just a quick walk around the block. It is getting over the inertia that we all sometimes have that is the thing. The walk will become something eventually. There's no hurry, if you are doing something every day.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it's cold where you live you might want to try the BodyGym by Marie Osmond. You use it in the house and it is fun and easy with quick results. I have lost tons of inches and gained lots of muscle and shape. I absolutely LOVE it. Plus you can do it in front of the TV and throughout the day when you have time.
  • Iron_BamBam
    Iron_BamBam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have a picture up on a cupboard or on the fridge of you at your biggest and then one of your progress to date under the one of you at your biggest have the question do i want to be this big ever again.
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    We are not always going to "feel motivated". In fact, usually we might not "feel motivated". I don't even think about whether I "feel motivated", I just do what I've decided I want/need to do. Feelings are way too fickle.

Establish a plan and follow it. Develop good habits, then do them.

This ^^^^^