Couch to 5k - building the distance

Options
I'm currently on week 7 of the Couch to 5k programme. I am beginning to enjoy it, and find it a great way to build endurance and make me run.

BUT - So far my mileage is lacking. I'm getting up to running 2.2 miles, but not to 5k level.

Anyone any suggestions on how to get to the magic 5k using some form of structured programme? My current thoughts are (when I reach the end of the current programme):
  • Add a walk break to increase time - so one day run 18minutes, walk 1minute, repeat. The second run of the same week run continuously for slightly less total time (say 34 minutes).
  • When I get to being able to run continuously for at least 40 minutes, start increasing my speed (I'm currently on a dreadmill, so this would be easy to do in tiny increments).
  • Repeat runs at 40 minutes duration but getting slightly faster each time?

I don't have quite enough time in my morning gym session to start on a bridge to 10k, and don't think I'm ready for it anyway - would rather get comfortable with length of run and speed first.

Any thoughts? Or links to a useful next step programme?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    From experience from doing this in the past, there are two approaches:
    Find a program that does not work with time intervals, but distance intervals. So, instead of e.g. (random numbers here) walk 1 min run 3 mins, walk 200 meters, run 800 meters. Of course to start with, this will need more time.
    So you might want to customise a bit a program like this starting with e.g. a total distance of 3k and as the weeks go on, add distance.
    The second approach is to focus on running for 30 minutes, then gradually start adding more distance once you are there. First by increasing time, then by increasing speed, then more time and so on.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mileage/speed comes with time and running more miles
    b210k which will help you run longer and it's just a continuation of c25k. if you finish the c25k, the transition to b210k is seamless. time wise, i don't know what to suggest but understand time constraints.

most people aren't running a full 5k in the time. it's just to get you running.

these plans are popular
    hal higdon

here is another list