Confused and a little upset

Options
13»

Replies

• HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Have you used the TDEE method?

I went to a calculator and it said I wasn't eating nearly enough.

Has it been successful for you?

Lynne
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Fitness blender has a wide variety of workouts so without knowing what she's doing I can only guess as to the intensity. I will say that the calorie burns on FB are high as hell, and I would ignore their inflated numbers. 1000 calorie burn workouts are probably 400-600 calories depending on body size.

I have a hrm and during the FB 1000cal workouts I burn 600cals. I am 49, 5'2" and around 60kg. I am consistently at the bottom end of their cal burn range, which seems about right, given my size and age. I work very hard on these workouts and pour with sweat.

I lose weight by burning 500cals a day in exercise (according to my hrm, which is set up correctly for me) which takes about 1hr20, maybe a little less, and by generally making sensible food choices when I'm hungry. I don't count my intake of calories. I just don't eat crap (although I do drink it - if wine is crap!)
    Jane
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, so everyone else had some GREAT advice, but we can't see your diary so now we need to ask....what KINDS of foods are you eating? You mentioned you are worried about going over carbs, but what kind of carbs? Vegetables? Fruits? or Breads and grains? And IF breads and grains, then white? Wheat? Maybe too much sugar in your diet?

I've noticed the closer we get to our goals the more methodical we need to be with our eating choices. I'd go so far as to suggest that a minimum of half your calories should be from plant based foods, and the less processed, the better. It's not the end all be all, and weight lifters would wholeheartedly disagree, but for your case it might be beneficial and something to think about.

Like I said without seeing your diary, I can't say for sure, and even you can say "oh well I eat like that" but until you let someone else objectively take a look, we'll never be sure. But of course you should not feel pressured to share, I totally get that. Diaries are pretty personal. =)

Good luck!

((Oh and disregard the fact I've lost 0 lbs. People might take that to mean I'm talking out of my *kitten*. I'm 8 months pregnant so I'm on a different path than you right now but prior to this baby being here I was heading in the right direction. I still eat 85% plant based and I've only gained 14 lbs this pregnancy, baby doing great))
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back those calories. Add some (more intense) cardio. No more confusing than that.

This can make your situation worse!! If you aren't eating enough, your body will hold on to whatever fat you have. You said you read in place of a roadmap - now you need to follow it. Figure out your TDEE (making sure you are accurate), and eat 15% less. If you're not strength training, START. This is super important and I can't stress it enough. You said you ate 1200 calories for a few months and lost weight - this may have messed up your metabolism. The body adjusts to low calories. It will take time, but it is possible to fix it. Another helpful place to look is EM2WL. Just search for it under "Community: Group forums." These are a group of people who have seen results and know what does NOT work - like under eating. You won't be sorry.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I increased only after 2 months of the scale not moving and reading countless posts about under eating .. I thought MAYBE since I started working out longer and harder I was under eating ... so I should drop back down to 1200?

no.

Calculate your TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from there. (My guess, based on your stats, is raise your calories to approximately 1700)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have done the diet break lol. The first two weeks of May I didn't add calories or anything, I ate like I used to and then came back (I struggled for 2 weeks following) but once June got here I buckled down and for the past 2 weeks I have set up three different workout routines for different days of the week lol. I think I will just flat number at 1450 like Angel suggested, I will log my exercise as 1 calorie burned (I like to log my exercise) so I won't eat the calories back. Thank you all for your helpful and kind advice! I will do some tweaking and continue working hard, slow progress is better than no progress! I appreciate you all very much!

The honest answer lies in opening your diary, then you would know whether you are on the right track or you are cheating yourself, unless you have something to hide - open the diary problem solved.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Don't eat back those calories. Add some (more intense) cardio. No more confusing than that.

hehehehehe NO.

She's not getting enough calories as it is and now you want her to eat less AND burn more? So you'd have her netting 800 calories per day for the next 3 months?

Fitness blender has a wide variety of workouts so without knowing what she's doing I can only guess as to the intensity. I will say that the calorie burns on FB are high as hell, and I would ignore their inflated numbers. 1000 calorie burn workouts are probably 400-600 calories depending on body size.

Anyhoo, near as I can guess the OP should be eating 1700-1900 calories per day to lose weight, assuming she's working out at moderate intensity for 5-6 days per week. I would suggest taking a full battery of measurements, upping the calories, and ignoring the scale for about 3 weeks as your body is going to have a sharp uptake of water weight from finally having enough nutrition to function properly. It's water, not fat, but I realize how demoralizing scale weight can be to some people. After 3 weeks, measure again and compare, and then start tracking scale weight weekly and measurements monthly.

Best of luck

Um, you figured it out for yourself. She's eating back OVERESTIMATED calorie amounts, even if she's only eating half of what it says, it's still wildly inaccurate. No need to get condescending Dav.
  • ladyjanelv
    ladyjanelv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I have a good fried who is. Have you tried eating more lean protein to up your calories without raising your carbs? Just a thought.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I have only posted a couple of topics on here before so please bare with me. I am very confused about my calories and diet I feel like I am working my *kitten* off but I am seeing very little results. Before I begin, here is my info
    I am a female, 5'3, 150 pounds I eat about 1400 calories everyday and I workout for at least one hour every day using Fitnessblender. I can not for the life of me get past 149 pounds. When I started MFP I was 180 pounds, I ate 1200 calories and within six months I had lost 30 pounds but now I cant drop the weight. I'm working out harder and longer, I'm eating more than I was I just do not get it. I want to lose at least 20-25 pounds more and I want to do it before Christmas (I'd settle for 10 before Christmas) but I can't see what I am doing wrong, I think I may be eating too little but eating more scares me. I recently read in place of a road map and upped my calories to 1600 (160 g of carbs, 53 g fat, and 120 g of protein) Now I cant seem to get enough calories without going over in carbs. Any and all advice would be much appreciated and I am sorry if a post like this has been posted a zillion times.

I don't know how old you are but you sound similar to me. I am 5'3 too and eat around 1400-1600 a day though my working out is not as consistent as yours but I do try. I lost 11lb when I first started and then got stuck for months and months. I started at 159. I have recently re set my ticker and started again trying new stuff but not found the golden ticket yet. I am at 147 now!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

hehehehehe NO.

She's not getting enough calories as it is and now you want her to eat less AND burn more? So you'd have her netting 800 calories per day for the next 3 months?

Anyhoo, near as I can guess the OP should be eating 1700-1900 calories per day to lose weight, assuming she's working out at moderate intensity for 5-6 days per week. I would suggest taking a full battery of measurements, upping the calories, and ignoring the scale for about 3 weeks as your body is going to have a sharp uptake of water weight from finally having enough nutrition to function properly. It's water, not fat, but I realize how demoralizing scale weight can be to some people. After 3 weeks, measure again and compare, and then start tracking scale weight weekly and measurements monthly.

Best of luck

Um, you figured it out for yourself. She's eating back OVERESTIMATED calorie amounts, even if she's only eating half of what it says, it's still wildly inaccurate. No need to get condescending Dav.

But condescension is my only tool
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have only posted a couple of topics on here before so please bare with me. I am very confused about my calories and diet I feel like I am working my *kitten* off but I am seeing very little results. Before I begin, here is my info
    I am a female, 5'3, 150 pounds I eat about 1400 calories everyday and I workout for at least one hour every day using Fitnessblender. I can not for the life of me get past 149 pounds. When I started MFP I was 180 pounds, I ate 1200 calories and within six months I had lost 30 pounds but now I cant drop the weight. I'm working out harder and longer, I'm eating more than I was I just do not get it. I want to lose at least 20-25 pounds more and I want to do it before Christmas (I'd settle for 10 before Christmas) but I can't see what I am doing wrong, I think I may be eating too little but eating more scares me. I recently read in place of a road map and upped my calories to 1600 (160 g of carbs, 53 g fat, and 120 g of protein) Now I cant seem to get enough calories without going over in carbs. Any and all advice would be much appreciated and I am sorry if a post like this has been posted a zillion times.

Is the 1400 BEFORE or AFTER exercise? it can be 1200 after you subtract the exercise calories. ( us short people can get away with eating less than tall people)..... the BMR for a 35yo 5'3" female that weighs 115 is 1,180 calories a day.
    BTW.... have you noticed a lot of the Anti-1200 calorie posts are made by men??

I think you should go back to what was working for you. Remember everyone has their own system. Find what works for you and go with it.