Living and dying by the scale

Long time lurker...
For the last two weeks or so I've done a really good job of watching my intake. I've not always chosen the best food but I've been honest and stuck to my allotted calories. I've watched as the numbers dropped (11lbs in total) until this morning. The scale spiked 4 pounds increase. I didn't do anything out of the normal (I actually logged over 10k steps for the first time)
My heart sunk and I'm fighting off the urges to go raid the vending machine
I understand that it's most likely water (that's what I'm telling myself) and if I just stick to the plan I'll continue to see the numbers drop.

Replies

• pierson_lauren
    pierson_lauren Posts: 43 Member
    I completly relate.. I've been at this for 3 weeks. Doing great on my intake and even hitting the gym and I have not budged at all...
  • cybernet00
    cybernet00 Posts: 52 Member
    You have to remember it isn't all about the pounds. It's about how you feel and how things fit too. I try not to use the scale and use measurements. I was steadily losing and then all of a sudden went up 2 pounds but after seeing the scale go up I took a measurement of my tummy and sure enough it was down an inch! That's a win in my book. Your weight can actually fluctuate 7 lbs! That's a big deal but doesn't really mean anything. If you know you are sticking to it and doing what needs to be done then that needs to be a win for you! Keep up the good work.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Yep I didn't lose last week, I refuse to believe I haven't at least lost a pound. Maybe it will even out next week or so, you know weight loss Isn't linear and all that. I read through the sticky posts every couple of months to refresh them in m y mind. The video on weighing and measuring is especially good
  • kgailloux
    kgailloux Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Don't forget muscle is heavy. You said you just clocked over 10k steps, that is amazing! Focus on the wins, not the weight.
    p.s. I have an incredibly hard time staying away from sweets so I tend to focus on every little win, even if it's as small as I remembered to log in!
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    I've given up with the scales for now as I know I'll get hooked. I'm currently working on the 'can I fit back into my jeans' measurement system
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Sodium intake, time of month, alcohol consumption, bowel movements... all cause variations.
    I learned this by weighing myself daily. Did not bother me.