Redefining Healthy Filling Meals (HELP AND QUESTIONS)

Options
I'm trying to start eating healthy, and shop more healthy and I want to prepare meals with will help me lose weight (I have another post if you would like to check it out). I grew up on foods that I wouldn't classify as heathy, and now I am in my 20's and I feel like I need to step up my game when it comes to health.

I made this because I seriously have no idea how to shop and cook "healthy". I know baking is the best thing for you when it comes to eliminating the unhealthy factors of frying.l, but what foods and what side dishes should I be making with poultry and meats, and how should I be preparing these meals.

Here is the dilemma, I do like seafood but every time I try seafood baked but I feel like it's just not pleasant, I do like fried seafood but then again that's probably not healthy either. I'm curious to see if fried fish homemade, not adding any salt or anything would that make it "healthy".

Thanks you guys are helping me a lot!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fried foods will still be fried foods. Made at home will not make much difference.
    So you can't eat baked chicken or baked fish? Coat it lightly and just bake it. You'll like it.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    An admirable goal, best of luck!
    As far as fish goes, a little pan-frying isn't going to kill you, but question: what are you coating it with?
    If it's plain, a teaspoon or two of oil is enough to give the fish a good sear. Measure the oil. Sprinkle salt on top after cooking, and squeeze a little lemon juice on top, too. Pan fry chicken with the same method, or poach in broth; I'm not a fan of baked chicken, too dry.
    If you really need to coat it: pat the fish dry, sprinkle just a little salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge in flour or corn starch lightly, just enough to blot out the shininess; shake off any excess. Dip in whisked egg whites, then coat thinly in cornmeal. The cornmeal will crisp really well but won't soak up as much oil as a traditional batter. You'll still need a tablespoon of oil to fry a filet though. I suggest logging the calories first to see if you can 'afford' this method.
    Healthiest option:Broil filets of fish in your oven instead of baking: it will cook faster and dry out a lot less. Grilling is a great option, too, depending on your weather situation. If it's a flaky fish, put down a layer of foil and oil that lightly to prevent flaking and sticking.
  • Jenp789
    Jenp789 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. Someone else recommended this in another thread. Over the last week I have tried several dishes and they are really good and easy to follow. The portion size and nutritional info is on all recipes. A lot of the recipes are in the MFP database.Does anyone have other recipe sites they recommend?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Check out some healthy recipe blogs. www.skinnytaste.com is fantastic - just browse or search for a recipe you feel like eating. She has such a variety and likely many of the things you're already used to eating, just tweaked to be fewer calories.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I find the kiss method seems to work the best... (Keep it simple stupid! Lol)

I stir fry chicken a lot. I use Pam on the pan, then onion, garlic. And cubed chicken pepper and salt depending on the sauce I'm using. I put frozen veggies in the pan and then my sauce and a little water. My sauce is either ginger and soy sauce,; or apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, cloves, butter(unnecessary if using fatty chicken) ; or my own buffalo sauce - hot sauce, cheese, cayenne, pepper, salt,butter, Tabasco if I'm feeling it, garlic, onion. I leave the veggies separate if I'm going buffalo.

You can also wrap chicken breast in foil with salsa or onion lemon and butter and bake. This also works with hearty fish..flaky fish falls apart on me when I do this to it.

I wanted something different so I shredded my chicken last week and stir fried with bean sprouts, garlic, onion, ginger and soy sauce, then wrapped in an egg roll wrapper with coleslaw mix, shredded carrot and cheese and baked until crispy. So good!!

I like ahi tuna or swordfish steak pan seared on peppercorns. I'll have to search for this recipe though I forget what else goes on it.

A good low calorie healthy filling side is spaghetti squash. I just poke holes in it and bake until soft. When its cooled cut in half and scoop seeds. You can do almost anything with it.

Make a big pot of cabbage chicken soup. There's tons of recipes on Google. This is low calorie, filling, easy and super healthy. You just spice it the way you like it.

this morning I'm having plain oatmeal mixed with chocolate protein powder, plain Greek yogurt and chai seeds. I'm also gonna snack on wassa crispbread with cream cheese and jam on it.

Pork chops are not unhealthy. look for center cut or sirloin. I love them pan seared with spices garlic and onion.

Steak too. Just look for the less fatty cuts. I'm partial to sirloin and I like it grilled with salt and pepper.

Oh and I like scrambled eggs with egg whites, chicken, spinach,peppers, onion, salsa, cheese, salt, pepper. I have this for dinner too.

Salad with albacore tuna is a great lunch or snack.

I'm allergic to all other seafood (sniff sniff) so I can't help there.. Sorry :(
    I'm also not big on carbs so I don't do a lot of side dishes or pastas.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You could faux fry foods (baked with crispy crust). See skinnytaste.com for plenty of ideas.

Grilled fish or seafood is also very good and healthy (just use oils/butter sparingly).