Anyone had knee problems, or surgery?

Options
kchuskey
kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
Ok... Calling anybody that has had a knee issue. I ask because I only got to the doctor as a last resort. I have no time for down time, or sitting at home due to surgery. But I'm not stupid, so if it gets bad enough, I'll do what it takes. Anyways, I'm wanting some opinions, or somebody else's experience. This is what I did.... I started running on a circuit that was building me up to run in a 5k. Actually it's the Couch to 5k. I'm sure most have heard of it. Well I went thru days 1, and 2 with no problems. I ran for 60 seconds, and briskly walked for 90 seconds, and repeated for 20 minutes. I even felt good enough after day 2 to run an additional 1/4 mile, and walk additional 1/4. On day 3 did a quick HIIT workout before I went home, that included lunges, step onto chair, jumping jacks, etc.. Then when I got home I went for my run circuit. When I started my legs already felt a little weaker due to the HIIT workout. Well about a quarter way thru, my left knee started to ache. It gradually got worse as I went, and my right knee started to ache due to favoring it more. By the time I got half way finished, I could barely run at all. So I walked. I walked for an additional mile and a half. When I finished I could barely walk, and that night and the next day were horrible. This was last Wednesday. I thought it felt a little better on Friday, but knew I couldn't run on it, and also knew I had to get cardio in, so I decided to cycle. I rode for 4 miles. Saturday it felt almost like it did when I previously did it on Wednesday. I then decided that I was just going to put all activity, and limit walking on it as much as possible. Well, here we are almost a week later, and I still have a hard time walking. The pain feels like it's below my kneecap, and radiates around both sides of the knee. This is only when I put my weight on it. It actually feels good, when I bend and hold knee.

Also I suppose I should say that I'm 42, 6'0, and weigh 228 lbs. I ran track when I was younger, and ran middle distance. 1/4, 1/2, hurdles, and the mile. Never had any issues with knees. But I haven't ran or jogged like that in over 20 years.

I guess my question for those is... Have you had this type of problem, and how long did it take to recover? I didn't feel any pop, or anything, and it didn't just happen suddenly, so I really don't think it's an ACL, or MCL, but then again, I'm not a Doctor. I want to give this as much time as I need to heal, and am wondering if it is just overuse etc.. How long is common, for the pain to subside. If after that time, it doesn't feel better, than I will seek professional opinion.

Does this sound similar to anybody else out there!?

Sorry for any grammar errors, and being so long. Too lazy today to proofread.

Thanks gang!

Replies

• smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've had knee issues in the past and it was due to bad form when running and/or the type of shoes you wear. For me, I like to run/jog with long strides but in that form I was a heel striker. The impact goes mostly to your knee and in due time from long distance running, it really took its toll. So then I fixed my running form and it hasn't bothered me since. Also, have you checked what type of running shoe you should get? Depending on your form there are specific types of running shoes made for you:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • kchuskey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks... I've wondered about that as well. However I am, or suppose I should say, I WAS an experienced runner. Maybe my form has slipped in the last 20 years, but I thought I was paying pretty good attention to make sure. I had no pain at all the previous two days. This is also on a nice flat track surface. I'm wondering if doing the workout earlier had impact. And due to my legs feeling weaker when I initially started, if I was favoring one over the other early on that day. I also wonder if over the years if I've developed arthritis. I know that being 228 lbs isn't helpful also. Considering that's about 1140 lbs of force coming down on each knee at a time, with every stride.

I will take a look at that link. I appreciate your input. I know the doctor is the best route, but if if I go and he just says... It's overuse, rest. Than I'll feel like that was a waste. So, I'm going to give it a week or so more. I know knee injuries can linger.
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh that's another good point. When your muscles are weaker due to the previous workouts, it's possible that it put more strain in your joints since the muscles weren't 100% to provide the support to your knees. But yea, you know your body best. I think giving it some rest and see if there's any improvement is a great idea. If not, then you know where to go in desperate times.
  • kchuskey
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    This person does

tumblr_inline_nplm8fbFLk1tw8xpo_540.jpg

Man... Them babies gotta hurt!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If your muscles were already tired when you started your run, then likely they were not providing the level of stability that they are normally able to provide - thus, pain from running. Take the muscle growth more slowly. If you really feel the need to push the limits then do the high impact things first in the day (running, jumping) and the low impact items (bike, walk) later in the day and be very very careful with form doing the later day items because your muscles will be tired.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yeah, at first - non doctor blush tells me you've just pushed it too far too quick. I'd rest, ice, and slowly ramp up. It's possible your form has slipped but also possible that you're heavier than you were and you haven't done as much in as short a time.

As @smilezishere said, I'd also assess your shoes.

Good luck.