Help

Options
Ok so guys I really need help...I have been staying under my 1200 calories daily and also eating as health as I know how too but when I look at my macrobs I am still I taking too much fat and too many carbs....first off I'm 377 and my goal is 300 by October.....what is a good amount to have my goal set at as for fats,carbs,n protein?....and what are some good foods u recommend...I've found that even diet foods and the store bought protein items are high in carbs and fat....

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm diabetic so my carb needs are a bit specific. I eat 15g of carbs for breakfast, greek yogurt. I do a max of 30g for snacks, but it's usually less. Lunch is about 45g and dinner is about 60g. I usually have a bread item at dinner and maybe crackers or light bread for lunch. I eat lots of yogurt and cheese for my dairy. I try to eat fruit(berries) once a day at least and 2 or 3 servings of veggies. My macros are the following. I never worry about going over my fat or protein, since it is usually only by a few grams, but I'm strict with my carbs due to my condition. Hope this helps, feel free to add me!

Carbohydrates 123 g 35 %
    Fat 70 g 45 %
    Protein 70 g 20 %
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I could only eat 1,200 cals, I would eat the paint off the walls. Not kidding.
    I am high good carb. I like lentils, beans, plain oatmeal, greek yogurt, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, wheat pasta. Fiber and protein are my secrets. Try to eat veggies everyday.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Read this sweetie, you can most definitely eat more and still lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Stop.

You're doing going about this the wrong way. I mean it.

Am I reading your post right that you currently weigh 377 lbs? (not judging - just clarifying).

Your diary shows you're averaging about 1000 calories a day. Assuming I am right about your current weight, there is no reason you need to be eating on a 1200 calorie diet, much less eating 200-300 calories less than that per day.

My honest advice...(again, operating under the assumption that I've interpreted your post correctly)

1. Set a reasonable calorie goal for your current size. Even if you're not doing any exercise, you should easily be able to lose weight at 1800 calories per day. And don't undereat that...make it your goal to hit.
    2. Don't obsess about your macros...at least not yet. With as much as you have to lose, I'd aim to get your calories from a variety of different types of foods. Maybe shoot for a moderate break down like 50c/30p/20f or 40c/30p/30f. But don't obsess about being too exact yet - with as much as you have to lose an exact split isn't necessary.
    3. Get a little exercise. Doesn't have to be major - go for a walk. Do some body weight exercises, etc. Anything to get up and moving a bit.
    4. I think 300 is a great first goal, and easily attainable using the above. Get there, and then re-assess and set your plan for the next goal.
  • beautifuldoll35
    beautifuldoll35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stop.

You're doing going about this the wrong way. I mean it.

Am I reading your post right that you currently weigh 377 lbs? (not judging - just clarifying).

Your diary shows you're averaging about 1000 calories a day. Assuming I am right about your current weight, there is no reason you need to be eating on a 1200 calorie diet, much less eating 200-300 calories less than that per day.

My honest advice...(again, operating under the assumption that I've interpreted your post correctly)

1. Set a reasonable calorie goal for your current size. Even if you're not doing any exercise, you should easily be able to lose weight at 1800 calories per day. And don't undereat that...make it your goal to hit.
    2. Don't obsess about your macros...at least not yet. With as much as you have to lose, I'd aim to get your calories from a variety of different types of foods. Maybe shoot for a moderate break down like 50c/30p/20f or 40c/30p/30f. But don't obsess about being too exact yet - with as much as you have to lose an exact split isn't necessary.
    3. Get a little exercise. Doesn't have to be major - go for a walk. Do some body weight exercises, etc. Anything to get up and moving a bit.
    4. I think 300 is a great first goal, and easily attainable using the above. Get there, and then re-assess and set your plan for the next goal.

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason that you want to reduce your carbs and fat intake? From a weight loss view point, as long as you are consuming less calories than you are burning, you'll lose weight regardless of whether your calories from from fat, carbs, or protein. I've also found that store bought protein items are often high in carbs, and depending on the product fat as well. If you want to up your protein perhaps try incorporating meat into your diet where you might otherwise have something carb or fat heavy. You could also try low fat or fat free greek yogurt as a snack.
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @juggernaut1974 thanks for the advice however I really don't think I need more unless it's for health reasons...I'm never hungry at the end of the day...I think the fact that I drink so much water before and after I eat causes me to be full longer...and I've been going to the gym every day since I started my journey 7 days ago...yesterday was the first day I missed and I felt like I was cheating myself....I know it seems like a bit much but my body feels so much better after I go...I didn't mention in the first status but I also need a hop replacement...be been in constant pain for years so my tolerance is a bit higher than most...and I just had a baby a year ago at age 37 by csectio and I snapped back n 2 weeks....my dr said it was impossible but I did it....
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @queenliz99 I'm never hungry after i I eat....maybe I've programmed my brain to think that...lol but thanks I will definetly read it
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    @JanetYellen thanks Hun
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @juggernaut1974 thanks for the advice however I really don't think I need more unless it's for health reasons...I'm never hungry at the end of the day...I think the fact that I drink so much water before and after I eat causes me to be full longer...and I've been going to the gym every day since I started my journey 7 days ago...yesterday was the first day I missed and I felt like I was cheating myself....I know it seems like a bit much but my body feels so much better after I go...I didn't mention in the first status but I also need a hop replacement...be been in constant pain for years so my tolerance is a bit higher than most...and I just had a baby a year ago at age 37 by csectio and I snapped back n 2 weeks....my dr said it was impossible but I did it....

It is for health reasons. If your logging is accurate and you're really only eating 1000 calories a day, you're not providing your body with the nutrition you need which can result in hair loss and muscle loss.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

It is for health reasons. If your logging is accurate and you're really only eating 1000 calories a day, you're not providing your body with the nutrition you need which can result in hair loss and muscle loss.

Yes exactly.

Assuming you're accurately measuring your caloric intake, your body will likely suffer many nutrient deficiencies and other ill-effects from eating so little - ESPECIALLY if you're exercising, which requires additional calorie fuel.
  • Afw94
    Afw94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is almost exactly what I started at (and we have similar calorie goals lol) so from experience don't worry too much about your fat and carbs (unless you have medical reasons to do so), it's more about calories at this point, as long as you're lowering your cals you'll be losing weight and you'll do fine, leave the carbs and fat for the people doing high amounts of exercise and the people trying to gain a lot of muscle and just concentrate on losing weight right now. Unless you've got a medical reason to watch them, or you're into bodybuilding or a real fitness nut then they don't really matter.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the group of people telling you that you should eat more. I started up at 300 pounds and lost weight for a long time sticking to about 1800 - 2000 calories, with minimal exercise because I am lazy at heart. I ignored my macros entirely. (I still don't pay them much mind; I try to hit targets that meet my personal goals, but don't stress them over calories.)

1200 calories is the minimum the female body needs to function if that female is 100% sedentary. If you're going to the gym and logging accurately, then you're not giving your body enough fuel to function in the long term. Not to mention that when the time comes when you need to lower your calories to continue losing weight, you really have nowhere to go if you started at that 1200 calorie floor.

The link @queenliz99 shared, and the links included in that post, are essential reading. The MFP forums can sometimes be hard to navigate for a variety of reasons, but there's so much solid information here that will really help you (and all of us) in losing and maintaining that weight loss in the long term.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more if your are accurately logging your food. At your weight, 1,200 calories isn't enough, you WILL crash and burn.
  • beautifuldoll35
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I don't know much about the methods of loosing so I'm learning and I will definelty go up a few hundred calories....
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi. With the amount you want to lose, it will take a while. Eating so few calories long term will be difficult (impossible?) from a psychological point of view and dangerous for your body. Believe me you don't want to your hair to start falling out and the such. You could calculate your TDEE how many calories you spend on a normal day. https://tdeecalculator.net/. Eat 1000 calories less than your TDEE to lose 2 pounds a week, which should put you at 300 pounds by October. Good luck!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    ((hugs)) You can eat more and still lose for sure.

IMO eating at the level you are now qualifies as a Very Low Calorie Diet at your weight. If you want to do a VLCD working toward your hip replacement then you should work with a doctor to be sure you are getting sufficient nutrients. I previously did a doctor supervised VLCD of 800 calories a day with a starting weight of 260 and the main focus was on getting enough protein. Protein took most of the calories of the day and didn't leave much for other macros.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I don't know much about the methods of loosing so I'm learning and I will definelty go up a few hundred calories....

Good! I am about 5'7" and 174 and I eat more than you and I am still losing. I eat around 1450! You don't need to go up way way too high if you are feeling okay and aren't hungry. I used to stick to 1200 only, but I found that eating that extra 250 calories has stopped a lot of my cravings to binge on junk, and I feel more free to enjoy social activities or a drink every now and then. And you definitely need more than 1200 if you are working out! I usually eat back almost all my workout calories.

Don't worry too much about your fat and carb intake if you are hitting your calorie goals. Fats are needed and so are some carbs. The only reason I avoid certain carbs if because they just don't fill me up the way fat and protein does, not because low carb is a magical way of eating.

Some of my favorite snacks are chicken breast with guacamole. I cook my own chicken to save money, but you can also buy the grilled and ready chicken to save time. I eat that with a 100 calorie pack of guacamole. I love cheese sticks or mozzarella pearls with beef jerky or almonds as a snack. I love to sip on tomato soup as a snack or breakfast. I like the dark chocolate almond KIND bars. I love pistachios. I love the 100 calorie bags of popcorn. I love smoked salmon rolled up with cream cheese. I love hard boiled eggs. Really - anything you like! Just remember portion control.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I also see you drink a lot of the special k protein shakes. Those are very high calorie and not much protein for that amount of carbs/sugar. If you really like them, then that's fine. You don't need to get rid of them if they help you. But, if you want protein, I'd replace those shakes with 2 hard boiled eggs. Those 2 hard boiled eggs will give you more protein and less carbs for less calories - and will probably be cheaper too. If you like to drink, then mix up some nonfat or 2% milk with coffee as a morning drink. The eggs and coffee with milk will still most likely be less calories than that shake.