Are We Fighting the Wrong Battle in the Obesity War?

Options
13»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    thank you for such and interesting thread. I work as a midwife. We have a lot of women who get gestational diabetes...we explain to them that because they have acquired diabetes during their pregnancy (even tho fine in non pregnant state) they are more likely to develop type II diabetes as they get older...and believe me, it is not just the obese people who develop this condition (although it is DEFINETLY a percursor).

Yes, I know of several normal-weight women who developed GD (one of them was quite petite, and she went on to develop Type II). Although GD isn't exactly the same disease as Type II, the connection between the two would likely be an interesting point of research.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wow I could have told the surgeon that ages ago just starting underclass physiology courses.

Of course mine comes from my own personal struggle and going from a thin child to an obese teen when my PCOS and hyper insulinemia kicked into high gear. I very much know my own struggle and the struggle of my clients. That's why I become so angry when people are given flippant "eat right, exercise" attitudes! Really OK your telling someone to push a boulder up hill but you aren't giving them tools to fight gravity. With hyperglycemia your brain and body is starving for sugar.