Working hard with no results

Options

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Um....I don't know why you are all so quick to defend sugar. I am Insulin Resistant, have PCOS, and I take Thyroid medication.

I use the FITBIT HR to monitor heart rate, I use MFP to monitor EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I am ALWAYS under my calories and I do cardio 3 usually 4 or more times a week.

Trust me.....I love sugar. I love carbs. I don't want to cut it out of my life. But I have tried to lose weight and still eat those in small moderate amounts.

Guess what all of you people with normal functioning bodies???

I DON'T LOSE ANY WEIGHT. I have been trying to do just that for the past month and my scale has fluctuated by 2-3 lbs. This last week I thought for sure it was gonna go down....but NOPE....it went back up 1 lb.

So just because YOU don't have a problem with sugars and your bodies function efficiently....please don't disregard that it is still a factor for some of us.

She didn't mention having any of the problems you're referring to so you can't say if that is a problem for her.

When you say you monitor everything you put in your mouth, are you using a food scale or are you eyeballing your portions?

• lilmisstata
    lilmisstata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do use a food scale and weigh and measure all of my foods. In fact I have 3 of them. I keep one in the car. I also track calories labels because sometimes I eat frozen meals or put together my own meal combinations from pre packaged food, like Veggie Burgers. I don't eat meat and lean closer towards a Vegan food plan although I'm not 100% Vegan.

I have met with a dietician and have been specifically told to cut back on sugar and anything that causes an insulin dump. Like white flour, white rice, potatoes, pasta, and starchy veggies and fruits. Trust me... I don't want to cut out those things. I have stood my ground trying to prove that I can eat those things and lose weight, but I have had to concede to my own personal experience.

I don't know what the OP has done or not done, I'm only suggesting that there are other factors out there. Not everyone knows if they are insulin resistant or not.

But clearly this must be a touchy subject because everyone is so quick to roll their eyes and jump on me for even suggesting that this might factor in. >:)

• CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're just being impatient with yourself.

Give yourself 4-6 full weeks before you assess how things are going. Weight loss is measured in months, not days or weeks.

If you just started your gym routines, it's likely your body is holding on to some additional water to help with muscle recovery.

Then how to the people bulking/cutting seem to gain 10-15lbs and then proceed to lose 10-15lbs in a matter of weeks? They make it seem so automatic. But then you read things like you wrote where it's "months, years, etc."
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Then how to the people bulking/cutting seem to gain 10-15lbs and then proceed to lose 10-15lbs in a matter of weeks? They make it seem so automatic. But then you read things like you wrote where it's "months, years, etc."

Not all people are the same. Some people it will be very easy to shed/gain the pounds. Others it will be difficult. Our bodies are not built the same and you can't expect the same results that you see from others.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I do use a food scale and weigh and measure all of my foods. In fact I have 3 of them. I keep one in the car. I also track calories labels because sometimes I eat frozen meals or put together my own meal combinations from pre packaged food, like Veggie Burgers. I don't eat meat and lean closer towards a Vegan food plan although I'm not 100% Vegan.

I have met with a dietician and have been specifically told to cut back on sugar and anything that causes an insulin dump. Like white flour, white rice, potatoes, pasta, and starchy veggies and fruits. Trust me... I don't want to cut out those things. I have stood my ground trying to prove that I can eat those things and lose weight, but I have had to concede to my own personal experience.

I don't know what the OP has done or not done, I'm only suggesting that there are other factors out there. Not everyone knows if they are insulin resistant or not.

But clearly this must be a touchy subject because everyone is so quick to roll their eyes and jump on me for even suggesting that this might factor in. >:)

Again, the issue is not sugar. The issue is your specific medical condition.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Give yourself 4-6 full weeks before you assess how things are going. Weight loss is measured in months, not days or weeks.

If you just started your gym routines, it's likely your body is holding on to some additional water to help with muscle recovery.

You misunderstand the process of bulking/cutting cycles.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

So in other words you're not going to explain why it's easier for them to lose weight and harder for me?
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

So in other words you're not going to explain why it's easier for them to lose weight and harder for me?

EDIT: Let me even phrase it in a cut and dry way. Guy/gal who was bulking got a little crazy. They now weigh 15lbs more than they'd like. How long should the person take to lose the 15lbs. Go.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Anyone? Gears turning? Trying to hold yourselves back from shouting out "Six weeks. Hit it hard. Get beach ready. Abs abs abs!" I know that contradicts the regular human advice of "well you really should take 19 months to slowly lose the weight."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

For one thing, I'd say people who regularly go on bulking and cutting cycles have a much better grasp of what they require calorie wise to achieve those goals...they also tend to be anal retentive where accuracy is concerned, they don't "cheat", etc...they are very disciplined in what they are doing...they tend to have a lot of experience with the process of gaining a little weight and losing a little weight, much more so than a new MFP member who's never really done this before.

Also, it's going to be different for males vs females...females have a lot more going on from a hormonal standpoint and tend to have more and greater weight fluctuations...in my experience, while not linear, generally for men who are being disciplined and accurate, weight comes off a bit easier and in more of a linear fashion.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people who cut and bulk don't do so in a healthy manner...especially when they're getting ready for competition or show.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

For one thing, I'd say people who regularly go on bulking and cutting cycles have a much better grasp of what they require calorie wise to achieve those goals...they also tend to be anal retentive where accuracy is concerned, they don't "cheat", etc...they are very disciplined in what they are doing...they tend to have a lot of experience with the process of gaining a little weight and losing a little weight, much more so than a new MFP member who's never really done this before.

Also, it's going to be different for males vs females...females have a lot more going on from a hormonal standpoint and tend to have more and greater weight fluctuations...in my experience, while not linear, generally for men who are being disciplined and accurate, weight comes off a bit easier and in more of a linear fashion.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people who cut and bulk don't do so in a healthy manner...especially when they're getting ready for competition or show.

LOL well can someone please give me the unhealthy manor. I'm 227-230. Short term goal 210. 195-200 longer term. Been trying foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever to lose the rest of the weight.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Point is, they don't lose it that fast. More realistically they're cutting for 2 to 3 months at a time.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Anyone? Gears turning? Trying to hold yourselves back from shouting out "Six weeks. Hit it hard. Get beach ready. Abs abs abs!" I know that contradicts the regular human advice of "well you really should take 19 months to slowly lose the weight."

What is advertised on magazine covers and what actually happens in real life are two totally different things.
    I've talked to guys who are already shredded working on getting even more shredded as much as 2-3 months out before a show.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

What is advertised on magazine covers and what actually happens in real life are two totally different things.
    I've talked to guys who are already shredded working on getting even more shredded as much as 2-3 months out before a show.

2-3 months sounds good to me. And if a person is already heavier it should be even easier. I think this is my big issue with the "why don't you give it six weeks" advice. Six weeks for it to START working? Huh? When you have people losing 10-15lbs in 2-3 months who barely have any fat to begin with? I just like consistent logical advice.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I have met with a dietician and have been specifically told to cut back on sugar and anything that causes an insulin dump. Like white flour, white rice, potatoes, pasta, and starchy veggies and fruits.

Oftentimes people are bad at logging food, and bad at estimating how much they are eating even if they are. Restricting food choices, especially higher calorie options, causes people to unknowingly consume lower calories. I see you were eating vegan before, and now your dietician is recommending you reduce a lot of the high calorie carb-heavy options that would have been amongst your most popular food items as a vegan. If a doctor restricts a person to chicken breast and broccoli only and they lose weight, it's not because chicken breast and broccoli are miracle foods. It's because limiting food choices limits calories. Or mentally, those of us who suffer from binge eating, if we don't eat the things that cause the binge we are less likely to binge. Doesn't mean calories in / calories out doesn't hold true for 99% of people, even those with medical conditions. Just there are tools in our toolbox we can use to be better at CICO.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I have pcos and various different medical problems and am mostly housebound, registered disabled. I eat sugar, I eat carbs and starches and have previously lost over 3 stones by keeping to a calorie limit. Sugar generally is not the reason for weight gain, eating too many calories is
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

EDIT: Let me even phrase it in a cut and dry way. Guy/gal who was bulking got a little crazy. They now weigh 15lbs more than they'd like. How long should the person take to lose the 15lbs. Go.

I put on a good 8-10 Lbs every winter...it takes me about 3 months to cut that and requires that I'm very disciplined in both my diet and exercise because even at 10 Lbs heavier I'm still at a healthy BF% and don't have much margin for error. Even when I cut that, I'm not "shredded"...I get down to about 12% BF...anything lower than that is difficult for me to maintain without being super anal about everything and basically not having any fun.

You seem to be under the impression that a "beach body" happens in a matter of weeks, and that's not the case despite the marketing. It took me 9 months + to lose 40 Lbs and even then I didn't have the actual body I wanted...I've been bulking and cutting and re-comping for almost 3 years now and I'm not there yet and frankly will never be where I was when I was in my 20s and rocked the pool and beach...because I'm not in my 20s. A fitness body is derived from years of dedication to proper diet and exercise which is structured around those individual goals.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

2-3 months sounds good to me. And if a person is already heavier it should be even easier. I think this is my big issue with the "why don't you give it six weeks" advice. Six weeks for it to START working? Huh? When you have people losing 10-15lbs in 2-3 months who barely have any fat to begin with? I just like consistent logical advice.

Unless it's "be patient, give it time and focus on trends instead of immediate results."
  • CalorieCountChocula
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I get down to about 12% BF...anything lower than that is difficult for me to maintain without being super anal about everything and basically not having any fun.

Wait, so why do I have to be super anal and basically not have any fun to barely, and I mean barrrrrrely make any progress? And that's at 27% body fat (assuming the Bod Pod is at least reasonably accurate). Shouldn't I get the same results in the same time frame and honestly shouldn't they be easier since my % is higher?