Crash Diet---Is it possible to maintain a 1000 calorie diet per day?

I'm willing to try for 2 weeks...I can't seem to find the time to work out because of mine and my husbands busy schedule...need to crash diet. Love to hear opinions

Replies

• Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Theoretically, anything is possible. Is it healthy? Not a freakin' chance.

Weight loss is 80% in the kitchen -- so make changes to eat better if you can't get to the gym. Eventually, you'll have to make time to exercise and get fit.
  • thisishenrylam
    thisishenrylam Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Back when I was dieting (poorly), my goal was 1200 calories w/ 40p/40c/20f...some days I would only hit around 1100-ish. I wouldn't recommend it as it made me look in a state of malnutrition and I got very pale!

I suggest you slowly reach your goal and not risk a yo-yo diet!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    No one needs to crash diet. What do you think you can accomplish in two weeks that wouldn't be undone as soon as you go back to your current lifestyle? What are your goals? How much are you trying to lose? Is there some event in 2 weeks that you are trying to lose weight for?

Also, you don't need to work out in order to lose weight, although I tend to think that most people who think they are too busy just need to prioritize and make the time. You can start with setting up MFP for a reasonable deficit, likely 1 lb/week would be appropriate for you, which would give you a 500 cal/day deficit. Track and log all your food, ideally using a food scale if possible. If you do work out, even going for walks, eat back a portion of those calories as well.

Sustainable changes are the way to go in order to make this a long term, lifestyle change. Crash diets usually result in... you guessed it, a crash.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    LylahClare wrote: »
    I'm willing to try for 2 weeks...I can't seem to find the time to work out because of mine and my husbands busy schedule...need to crash diet. Love to hear opinions

No one needs to crash diet. The 1200 calorie minimum is about making sure there's room in your diet for the bare minimum nutrition that your body actually needs to stay healthy. It won't kill you to do it for a couple of weeks, but I don't see the point. 1200 calories should still allow you to lose weight even without exercise. Cutting off an additional 200 for two weeks earns you less than one additional pound lost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't see the point.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    LylahClare wrote: »

No one needs to crash diet. The 1200 calorie minimum is about making sure there's room in your diet for the bare minimum nutrition that your body actually needs to stay healthy. It won't kill you to do it for a couple of weeks, but I don't see the point. 1200 calories should still allow you to lose weight even without exercise. Cutting off an additional 200 for two weeks earns you less than one additional pound lost.

This.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    My cat eats more than that
  • LylahClare
    LylahClare Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you guys :) love the support...I'll stay with my 1200 minimum then.
  • amoods05
    amoods05 Posts: 32 Member
    I don't think so...it's not maintainable and once you up your calories, you'll gain it back!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Is it possible? Yes. The trick is to eat small portions through out the day (usually 2-4 hour increments) and drink a TON of water. However, depending on your height/weight, it is most likely not possible. When I first started MFP I was assigned a 1,000 calorie intake and then later realize it was just not healthy. Upped to 1,200 and am now at 1,250 with working out.
  • LylahClare
    LylahClare Posts: 8 Member
    All I could think about is the show SURVIVOR. You see the contestants before the show starts, then 2 weeks later, wow---you can totally see the change in body mass. They're still ALIVE. Probably not the right model diet, but still it does cross my mind as I go through this diet.