50 yrs. old, and looking to get "fit."

I have lost 60 pounds in a years time. I am an experienced weight lifter, but now need to change my habits as I have plateaued, and it's confusing. First, I am limited in my equipment as I simply use the gym provided by my condo complex (No free weights). Trying not to join a gym if at all possible, but I may have to. So, if I want to simply tone up, I need to do maybe 4 reps of 20 at a lighter weight? I typically combine cardio with weights (rotating weight exercises every other day, for 5 days). I am always moving without any real breaks. Also, a diet? I don't really "diet," as I have simply changed my eating habits. Need more protein, but with that, comes calories. Thanks.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss. What kind of equipment does your gym have? Just machines? And adding more protein to your diet doesn't necessarily mean more calories. You just have to make it fit your nutrition goals.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Toning is a vague word, but I suggest using the max weight you can for 10-15 reps rather than lighter weights. You will not get bulky if that's what you mean.

If you want to increase your protein, then cut back on carbs and fat a bit. You don't need a special food plan. As you say, just practice good eating habits. Make sure you know exactly how many cals you're consuming, as discussed on many threads here on MFP. You might be eating more than you think you are, so weight properly and log everything.
  • DWiz2626
    DWiz2626 Posts: 12 Member
    Yeah, machines only. Ok then, 10-15 reps. Yeah, not wanting to get bulky necessarily. I am 6 foot and currently weigh 295 (Started MFP at 360), so I have "size." Went into AFib on Thanksgiving of 2013 because of taking too high a dose of thyroid medicine for too long (I put see a doctor off cause we moved). It took till August of 2014 to get my thyroid back dialed in, and started my "change" in November of 2014. I had ZERO metabolism between that time and if I hadn't been working out, would have been over 400 pounds (with the eating habits I had). Take note thyroid med users, balancing your thyroid levels is no joke!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    There are different opinions about reps, but i'd keep them between about 8 and 12, increasing the weight whenever you can do 12-15.

If you don't feel the need to rest a bit between sets, the weight might be too light. ;)

Since machines tend to underwork the core muscles, i'd add some planks & side planks. And if your gym doesn't have a back extension machine, add supermans. :+1:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Convict conditioning
    Or
    You are your own gym

Do they have Dumbbells? You could invest in a decent set

Machine weights fine

But I'd join a free weights gym TBH