Why doesn't the Strength Training entry burn any calories?

Options
How come whenever I enter my weight training reps and sets for the day, it doesn't calculate any calories burned?

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Because the exercises themselves just don't burn enough calories to be significant. You get an overall higher calorie allotment from the muscles working harder over time, but it's not like cardio where you can see instant calorie removal results.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can log the amount of time for "strength training" under the Cardiovascular section to get an estimate for Calories burned. You can use the Strength Training section to log sets, reps, and weights, but that section does not account for the amount of time or Calories burned.

Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles on the MFP Help pages...

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Because the exercises themselves just don't burn enough calories to be significant. You get an overall higher calorie allotment from the muscles working harder over time, but it's not like cardio where you can see instant calorie removal results.

That's not true. You can add strength training under cardio to show calories burned. The strength training section is just for keeping track of your exercises. You can do weight training in place of cardio if you really wanted to. You not only burn calories while lifting, your metabolism gets a boost for the next 24+ hours. So instead of sitting around burning 70 calories an hour you could be burning 80. Which adds up!
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Cybertone and PearBlossom9: thank you for you posts! Now I know. ;)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I did over 400 pull ups super setting with squats this am I better have burned some calories..lol..