Needing supportive words on my 50 day streak

Options
Hey guys,
I could really use your encouragement. I'm on a fifty day streak with logging my food. I've lost about 18 lbs since I started in November. I realize that's a great number. I am just finding myself discouraged because the scale goes up and down and up and down and then I panic that the weight I've lost isn't accurate and maybe I haven't lost anything (I know, worst case scenario). I can see the change in myself but I'm just a nervous wreck. Today is my 28th day of exercising every day and I have been very vigilant about being consistent with both tracking and watching what I eat as well as working out hard. I have about 50 more pounds to go. When do you start to see a significant change in your body? How long is it taking you to go through this process?

I'm 5'4. Started at 230, down to 212. Attempting to get to 165.

Replies

• joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job. You should know that.
    I definitely believe in going hard for a certain period of time to reach your goals, but it's also very important that you seek some balance. 28 days exercising everyday is worth of a day off. Don't jump on that all or nothing train, because it always come to stop.
    Instead of asking 'How long will it take?' Ask yourself 'How far can I go?' That way it's a journey for you. The thing is that you'll never be 'done' or 'finished'. This is ongoing. As in forever. So find that balance.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    this is my.....5 years, 2 months and 8 days doing this. Let me tell you that in the long term, short term up and down are nothing.....you are doing this for the rest of your life......I weight myself from time to time. Always one week after my period. Sometime you have to trust the process. Maybe the scale is not the best tool for you. I suggest using a measuring tape.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you using anything to track your weight loss? There's apps that will track so you can see trends better (I don't use one, but I'm sure other MFP'ers can point you in the right direction). I have an excel spreadsheet that I use for my weekly weigh ins. This is my progress from last year - 60 lbs down.

785zvoueulnq.png

It took me a while to see the difference in myself. Other people were commenting before I really noticed. It was when my pants started becoming very loose and I could take them off without undoing them that made it real for me. Take before and progress pictures. I wish I had taken a before picture. I really notice a difference now.

I lost 60 lbs last year, so about 1 lbs a week. I have about 35 lbs more to go. I don't have a date in mind, just as long as the scale keeps going down overall I'm happy :)

You're doing great! Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Trusting the process can be so hard at times. I told myself I would track my food and exercise everyday for 100 days no matter what and that whatever comes of that would only be good. I'm on day 28 of that challenge. Today I will probably just do squats, as I do need a cardio break.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude!! Think of it this way, you're 28% of the way to your goal!

Even if you only drop a few pounds, making a commitment to yourself and following through is huge on its own and worth celebrating. You're taking care of yourself and that's wonderful - losing weight is icing on the cake of health.
  • bikinivirgin
    bikinivirgin Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's the hardest part is hanging through the tough part when the scale is up and down or doesn't move at all. I have been there so many times but I've decided to just plow through it no matter what this time. I've lost over a hundred pounds couple years back and then gained a few back now trying to get off the last I ultimately have about 60 pounds minimum to go. The closer you get to it the weight doesn't melt off like it did when I was first at it. I have to keep my mind active while plugging away which is the hardest for me so it's not like watching a pot boil. Change up exercise when you can, hobbies, much support as you can, and hold onto why this is worth it. I'm going to need more motivation when I get closer to 200 pounds because I got so close last time and put weight back on because I let life stresses get in the way. Ultimately everyone will have to want this but I will help push if that's what people need cause I know I need it at times.
  • denisen905
    denisen905 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's difficult not to become obsessed with losing weight! I know I am constantly thinking about it - What I'm going to eat, when I can eat next, why isn't it going faster, etc, etc. It's so easy to become impatient and frustrated with your efforts.

Keep reminding yourself that it is a slow process with ups and downs (like everything else in life). Remind yourself that you are actually doing this - you are eating right, exercising, and losing weight! Many people can't even get started on this path and here you are, already 18 pounds lighter.

I agree with Yanicka1, try a measuring tape or like JennieMaeK said, take pictures. The scale isn't the only measure of success.

You deserve to feel great about your accomplishments! xoxo
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Your words are so helpful today!
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The evil scale! It does make me crazy, too! A necessary evil, though. I try to think longer term than the weekly fluctuations (as long as I don't go over XXX number, I'm still OK - kind of thinking)... because they ARE fluctuations.
    Besides, I can step on my scale 5 times and get 3 different readings.... :\