kettle bell not on list

Hello...I'm very new to this app but have been tracking on another app until recently. I was very impressed with all the different foods I could find that I couldn't on the other one, but I can't track my kettle bell work outs? Am I just missing it? I would think that popular of an exercise would be on here?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Nope, you're not missing it, it's not on there, I've looked too. ;)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Depending on how you are using the kettlebell as a piece of equipment while performing an exercise activity, you could log it under cardiovascular using "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" or "Circuit training, general" to get an estimate of Calories burned. Please note that the estimated Calories burned for cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual.

The Compendium of Physical Activities has a new activity with an estimated METs of 9.8 for Kettlebell workout from a study comparing kettlebell workout with treadmill running.

You could use any one of the pre-loaded exercises with a similar METs value. The METs factors provide estimates for a general population and an individual user's Calorie burn rate may be different.

METs - Activity
    3.0 - Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
    8.0 - Circuit training, general
    8.5 - Aerobics, step, with 6-8 inch step
    9.0 - Running, 5.2 mph (11.5 min/mile)
    9.0 - Running, cross country
    9.8 - Running, 6.0 mph (10.0 min/mile)
    10.0 - Aerobics, step, with 10-12 inch step
  • hydro0816
    hydro0816 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to get one of those watch things but until then....we estimate!
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    That's because kettle bells are of the devil.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    You can add your own custom exercises in MFP, too, as long as you have some way to estimate the calorie burn (maybe you have info from your previous app?).

In the browser version of MFP, you first search for the exercise as if you were going to add it, then below the search results box it says " Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database". Click on that and add your exercise.

Anytime after that when you add that exercise from your frequently-used exercises check list, you can change the minutes and MFP will scale the calories up or down based on the calories per minute from the first time you created it.