Clean Eating at a Mexican Restraunt

Options
My cousins are wanting to do a lady's night out this weekend at a Mexican Restraunt. I've done some googling and it seems as though a chicken fajita with only 2 tortillas is recommended. Any other suggestions of food at a Mexican Restraunt with low calories/ carbs / fat. Thanks for any advice! I'm down 42lbs so far, I don't want to blow it now.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to eat clean, low calorie...? Clean does not necessarily mean low calorie.

You can always get a steak and side salad at a mexican restaurant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant you're going to is a chain with nutrition info online, would you please post a link?

I had chicken mole last time I went to a Mexican restaurant. I took half of it home. It wasn't a caloric disaster.

You can also exercise more that day / not feel guilty about one indulgent meal :)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'd normally get something like Shrimp with cactus tomatillo sauce. Alternately a baked fish.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of fish tacos, hold the sour cream. (But not the guacamole, thank you!) And most restaurants will bring you a green salad instead of beans & rice if you request it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    One night out won't now a 42 lb weight loss. I'm not sure what you mean by clean. So I'll just tell you what I usually order that fits into my goals.

Fajitas of any kind
    Any chicken dishes, we have a local place that does a chicken breast on top of onions peppers and tomatoes covered with a white cheese sauce on a skillet, it's delicious.
    If you want to keep down in cals skip the chips and tortillas

Or since this isn't a daily thing, eat what you like and go back to your plan the next day.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If my understanding of "clean" is correct, just go for baked/grilled stuff that doesn't have a creamy sauce. Skip anything fried/greasy/cheesy or has sour cream.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I usually get either chicken or shimp fajita no rice, beans (don't like beans) or tortillas with a side of vegetables. So, I just mix the fajita meat with the vegetables and salsa and, of course, some hot sauce. So good!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything that's fallen on the floor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Clean eating Mexican food? This is sort of funny.. LOL

I always get the chicken fajitas, loose the tortilla, eat some rice and eat the refired beans.. And that yummy salad stuff they put on the plate..

Chips and salsa are ok, about 1/2 basket might be ok.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I usually stick with the "al ajo" (garlic sauce) or the "diabla" (devil/spicy). I almost always get a mix of seafoods or just shrimp, but I've ordered chicken too. If I ask they will usually swap my rice and beans for a salad or add more of the vegetables from the dish onto my plate.

My husband always gets ranchero sauce - usually bistec. So freakin good!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of fish tacos, hold the sour cream. (But not the guacamole, thank you!) And most restaurants will bring you a green salad instead of beans & rice if you request it.

That's a great idea!
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd go for any corn tortilla soft tacos with chicken or fish, skip the refried beans (lots of authentic places still use lard). My go to is chicken fajitas with guacamole, no tortillas. I just eat the veggies and meat.

The hardest for me and the biggest landmine in Mexican restaurants is the chips (fried tortilla) and salsa. I can put down some serious amounts of that before I think about it. Huge calorie bomb if I don't watch it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I love a fajita salad with salsa instead of dressing. And if they have street tacos, that can be a great option too. A lot of times I'll either skip the rice and beans (if you're hungry, maybe they can substitute a side salad or grilled veggies?) or take them home for use in a breakfast taco the next day (best use of Mexican leftovers).
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from Mexico and some places are now offering cactus as a replacement taco/tortilla and loading the meat up on that instead. It's pretty good! Worth asking the restaurant if that's something that appeals to you.