Second week of running and pain?

Options
So I'm on my second week of using the c25k app, and I tried moving on to week two doing the same 4 mph I was going before and I got this awful pain in the sides of my shins on both legs yesterday. I tried doing the exact same thing but going back to week one today and I still got the pain after about 15 minutes. This is affecting my cardio a lot. What can I do?

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If it's pain, I would recommend taking a break to avoid hurting yourself. I used to get a pain in the top of my thighs from running and I temporarily replaced running with rowing until it felt better. The pain hasn't came back since.
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll stick to the elliptical and bike this week to give my shins a rest. I only have access to a cardio room in my apartment complex with treadmills, bikes and ellipticals. I can dance at my apartment to the just dance video game. But I'm trying to be considerate to neighbors and roommates
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How are your shoes? Worn? Made for running? Did get them fitted at a running store and did you get advice about the proper ones for your stride? How are your feet landing? Do your heels hit first or do you land more midfoot?

Many things can cause pain when running. I would suggest starting with proper shoes (assuming you didn't already do that).
  • genivar
    genivar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Check out running world's post on shin pain
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes and develop a good running style. Search YouTube for mid foot running, forefoot running, toe running, low impact running, etc...

In the meantime you could power walk to get a good cardio. Walking is the perfect impact to keep your joints healthy. If you don't run properly, you could easily get injuries.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also make sure you are warming up and cooling down(stretching) after a run as well.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would guess its impact related. While you are resting your shins (don't keep running - you need to recover), do some research on midfoot strike. I agree with others - look at your shoes, and whether they are designed for running or for looking cool. Also: are they appropriate for your stride, foot/ankle needs, etc.

I am currently Barefoot running, but know that as I increase my mileage, I'm going to have to switch. I will have to go into the running shop and get kitted out with a pair of shoes designed for a midfoot strike that can handle the distance I'm going to be putting on them. While you may have started running because it requires so little equipment, you need to make sure that you're not pushing further than your gear will allow, and that your form is good.

Enjoy your running once you're all healed up!