girl Scout Cookies

Options

Replies

• shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I haven't ordered any in three years. So i just looked up thin mints...4 cookies for 160 calories? I'm so in this year.

And even if I don't run into any scouts selling at the grocery, I live 10 minutes from the local council office. I might have to pay a visit.

Thin mints are small and really thin. 4 is just not enough...... Maybe 1 whole sleave is a serving for most.. Lol
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've seen reviews for the chocolate covered s'mores on these forums, but has anyone tried the others?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I've seen reviews for the chocolate covered s'mores on these forums, but has anyone tried the others?

I read somewhere that they are very tasty. Sigh.

And yeah I've already eaten 1.5 box of Thanks-a-lot. Been waiting a whole lot to make up for it...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had 2 S'mores. Even though the selling Girl Scout shared customer reviews from dissatisfied customers, my evaluation of them was that the marshmallow layer was noticeable to my tongue, the chocolate layer was barely noticeable, and the cookie layer was NOT GRAHAM. Altogether it was a bit of a surprise, but it was it's own kind of ok.
  • missarielbaby
    missarielbaby Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Girl scout cookies come once a year. Enjoy them! I get to get some this weekend. Yay!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll be on the lookout for the gluten free Toffeetastics.

Nothing will ever replace the Thin Mints in my heart. Celiac disease is a pain in the butt.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    My sheer annoyance with the Girl Scouts has prevented me from buying a single box this year. Everywhere I go, there they are. Hounding me as I enter and exit any store. They jump in front of me and yell at me asking if I want to buy their cookies. They ask again as I leave. If a store has two entrance/exit areas they are always posted up at both. They have become a nuisance. I firmly believe they should do what they are doing but also that they are going about it in the wrong way. Any suggestion about a better and less obnoxious way is met with offended gasps and hostile tones from their "leaders". Of course That's not to say that I wouldn't tear up a box of thin mints if my husband brought some home. Because I totally would.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    CAKarlos wrote: »
    Why are Girl Scout Cookies sold in January when you are trying to stay on a diet? I just derailed my 3 weeks of starting new. Now I have to start again! Ugh!

Keebler sells them year round... B)

Yes they do! Grasshopper cookies anyone? OM NOM NOM NOM!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    CAKarlos wrote: »
    Why are Girl Scout Cookies sold in January when you are trying to stay on a diet? I just derailed my 3 weeks of starting new. Now I have to start again! Ugh!

Keebler sells them year round... B)

Yes they do! Grasshopper cookies anyone? OM NOM NOM NOM!

Still can't find any equivalent to Thanks-a-lot from Keebler.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I used to love thin mints. Took a year off as we started changing what we ate.

I bought some last year and I no longer care for them. The waxy texture was not working for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Living in Indiana, I've always wondered why they start selling during the coldest month! Door to door in 10° and 6" of snow? No thanks! :) Even selling in the lobby at the grocery store was freezing!

You do not build character walking around or sitting in front of a store on a sunny 70 degree day :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I like Girl Scouts. Didn't want to penalize them for my gluttony. I gave them $20 as a donation. At least they get to keep it all and I don't get crazy trying not to eat the whole box at once. Maybe in a year I will trust myself to use portion control.

I also just give a donation to the scout troop. In our area, when the girls sell in front of stores there is an option to buy cookies and have them sent to the military. I'll throw in for this also.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    100df wrote: »
    I like Girl Scouts. Didn't want to penalize them for my gluttony. I gave them $20 as a donation. At least they get to keep it all and I don't get crazy trying not to eat the whole box at once. Maybe in a year I will trust myself to use portion control.

I also just give a donation to the scout troop. In our area, when the girls sell in front of stores there is an option to buy cookies and have them sent to the military. I'll throw in for this also.

I did that last year for my gluten free ones when I wasn't in a good moderating phase.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    You don't have to derail yourself with them, just fit a serving into your calories as you can.

A serving is a sleeve of Thin Mints, right? :#
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You don't have to derail yourself with them, just fit a serving into your calories as you can.

A serving is a sleeve of Thin Mints, right? :#

I always thought the box was single serve...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    A few years ago they changed the thin mints recipe - not as good as they were.

If a girl comes to my door I will buy 2 boxes even though I feel like I'm getting ripped off. Seriously, it seems like the price rises and the number of cookies are smaller every year!

A coworker also told me that it's pretty high pressure on the parents - basically each girl has to commit to selling a certain number of boxes. The parent is then on the hook for purchasing those boxes prior to actually selling them. That seems pretty shady to me. Maybe it's not or there's a good reason, but I felt bad for him - he was trying unload 50 boxes at work. Unfortunately, our office is small and he wasn't able to sell them all.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you for supporting the girls. They practice important social, business, and life skills by participating In the cookie program. Goal setting, budgeting, marketing, how to approach customers, how to deal with rejection by a potential customer, how to make change, and so much more. The troops earn money, and the local GS council office gets money that they use to subsidize activities and programs for the girls, and educational, enrichment, and support services for the fantastic and generous adult volunteers.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the Savannah Smiles. I love me some lemon. I also ordered a box of the new s'mores cookie. Can't wait!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen them here in January, I don't think. I'd buy them if I did, though -- they are small, so a nice little post dinner snack (if you eat one or two and not a whole sleeve, of course).

Last year they were letting girl scouts sell them at church after mass on a couple of Sundays, and happened to be during Lent, which I thought was funny. I bought some to eat on Easter (and after).

I see them in front of the grocery stores in nice weather, most often. (Where I live going door to door doesn't work, although that's how we sold them back in the day.)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I bought a box of Caramel Delites (or samoas, depending on who you ask) and Thin Mints last year. I didn't finish the box of Caramel Delites. Will probably buy Thin Mints again this year as 4 cookies for like 160 calories or so just seems like a win to me.