Can't eat enough

Options
Seems like I hardly ever hit my calorie goal. Great for weight loss but bad for my health. Any tips on how to eat more without me eating everything in sight? Much love!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Just...eat more. Add another serving to dinner, don't always use low fat dairy or the leanest cut of meat. Why are you having trouble eating? I ask because you must have been eating more if you are overweight.
  • tiffanynew2015
    tiffanynew2015 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use to be extremely overweight and lost a ton. Then I go back to overeating and gain some back. Now it seems when I diet I really really watch every calorie. Hard to explain I guess
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Seems like I hardly ever hit my calorie goal. Great for weight loss but bad for my health. Any tips on how to eat more without me eating everything in sight? Much love!
    Tiffany. I love you. Because you're one of those actually sensible people, who said "Sure, I'm losing weight, but this isn't the right way.."
    I was doing this towards the end of last year. I'm on the 5:2, so I'd have 500 calories on my fast day. But then, on my normal days, I was barely hitting 1300 calories, because compared to fasting, I felt like my meal sizes were huge, and I get full easily. So I didn't mind for a while, and I was losing 3/4lb a week.. then realised that eating that little wasn't going to do me any good. And then, the moment I did actually eat 1600, I'd gain weight! I needed to remind my body that 1300 wasn't my maintenance level, that 1600 was my goal.
    So, you can do things like, if you have porridge, add flaxseed - pretty high in calories, but still good for you.
    Find little things that are healthy, that you can fit in to make sure you hit your goals. Salmon instead of chicken, etc.
    It sucks, as you might gain weight for a week, maybe two, but then your body will get used to your new/proper maintenance calories.
    If you know what you're going to eat for the whole day, add it all in the morning, and check to see if that hits your goal. If it doesn't think about what you can eat to make sure you do.
    Protein shakes are a good way of making sure you hit your goals too, especially as you can add lots of stuff in, like porridge oats, seeds, dates etc.
    Good luck!
  • ladymeldrum82
    ladymeldrum82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you... I've been a chronic under-eater for most of my life- over 20 years... My acupuncturist recommended a 1500 calorie diet (pretty sure he thought I was eating too much without realizing it) because my health has been suffering & I had been gaining weight rapidly (in spite of living off of mostly veggies & a few fruits) for over a year... For a few months in the beginning of that year, I worked out like a maniac, but eventually I quit working out because I was getting seriously sick after each workout & in serious pain almost constantly... I started tracking my calories that same day (mid November)... Come to find out- I was only eating 800 calories on a "binge day"- about 400 calories on a normal day... It really confused me that I was eating so few calories & sick, in pain, & gaining weight, so I researched everything I could find... Found that an inactive person needs a minimum of 1200 calories per day for the body to perform it's natural functions properly... Chronically eating less than that eventually puts the body into starvation mode, where it hoards everything you consume... Plus, working out as a chronic under-eater puts a huge extra strain on the body... Who knew?! So, I started working on boosting my calories... It's soooo hard to eat enough calories- especially if I walk a couple miles on the treadmill... :( Most days, I'm lucky if I manage to clear 1000 calories... I'm starting to feel a bit better physically, with the increased calories, but I haven't lost any weight...
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you... I've been a chronic under-eater for most of my life- over 20 years... My acupuncturist recommended a 1500 calorie diet (pretty sure he thought I was eating too much without realizing it) because my health has been suffering & I had been gaining weight rapidly (in spite of living off of mostly veggies & a few fruits) for over a year... For a few months in the beginning of that year, I worked out like a maniac, but eventually I quit working out because I was getting seriously sick after each workout & in serious pain almost constantly... I started tracking my calories that same day (mid November)... Come to find out- I was only eating 800 calories on a "binge day"- about 400 calories on a normal day... It really confused me that I was eating so few calories & sick, in pain, & gaining weight, so I researched everything I could find... Found that an inactive person needs a minimum of 1200 calories per day for the body to perform it's natural functions properly... Chronically eating less than that eventually puts the body into starvation mode, where it hoards everything you consume... Plus, working out as a chronic under-eater puts a huge extra strain on the body... Who knew?! So, I started working on boosting my calories... It's soooo hard to eat enough calories- especially if I walk a couple miles on the treadmill... :( Most days, I'm lucky if I manage to clear 1000 calories... I'm starting to feel a bit better physically, with the increased calories, but I haven't lost any weight...

Have you seen a doctor? (Not an acupuncturist.) If you've been eating that little, it's dangerous. You could have a medical disorder, or an eating disorder, or something. Get checked out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cujodog wrote: »
    I'm with you ladymeldrum. So hard to eat over 1000 calories without binging on bad food

This is the fundamental issue

There is no such thing as bad food

There are bad diets .. and undereating is as much, if not more, of an issue as overeating

Do not eat low fat
    Do not limit portion sizes
    Reach for foods with a higher calorie density

You will, with long term low calorie input, affect your metabolism through adaptive thermogenisis .. you can fix it but it takes time .. and it takes support teams

this is not directed at OP - who seems as though she has identified an issue and will resolve it - this is directed at anybody who's attitude to food puts it in good and bad camps, who punishes themselves with their eating habits and who does not acheive their minimum nutritional requirements for health (which include minimum calories)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The day before sit down with your log and pre-plan what you'll eat. Fit food in that work in your calorie limit (which I assume is 1200 calories, and it probably should be higher IMO) and eat that. So you know you are getting the proper nutrition. You aren't not eating because you aren't hungry. You are not eating because your brain says "the less I eat the faster the weight comes off". It's all psychological. Allow yourself to eat the calories and trust the process.

Use this time to realize there are NO bad foods. Use this time to learn to learn a balance, because this isn't about losing weight. This is about figuring out how to live while keeping it off.
  • ladymeldrum82
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

Have you seen a doctor? (Not an acupuncturist.) If you've been eating that little, it's dangerous. You could have a medical disorder, or an eating disorder, or something. Get checked out.

I've seen several drs (none of which told me that I was still starving inspite of eating everyday & 1 of which told me I was at the max weight for my height at 141lbs- 29lbs ago)... Have been dealing with an eating disorder for 16 years- I thought I was doing ok making sure I was eating everyday... Apparently I wasn't doing as well as I thought... My body was really struggling to handle more calories, but I stumbled across a recommendation to increase intake by 100 calories per day, per week... I'm hoping that it helps to ease my body into handling more...
  • ladymeldrum82
    Options
    My metabolism has definitely decreased, but I'm hoping as I build up my intake, that I'll feel well enough to exercise more & increase my appetite through exercise... I used to be so active... Now I work, sleep, & relax most of the time in an effort to conserve energy... Last week I managed 3 miles on the treadmill, but not without feeling crummy after... Last night I pumped out 2 miles & feel fairly ok- chowed down a fish burrito from Los Betos afterward... I haven't been concerning myself with good or bad food in the last couple of months- just trying to get my calories wherever I can, but I have discovered that I can only physically handle limited sweets... My husband eats thousands of calories a day(tons of fast food) & is 6'6" & 200lbs, works a very physical job & is pretty healthy- it's pretty obvious that he's healthy because he eats enough calories to support his metabolism & makes up for what he burns at work...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Eat more and follow the MFP calorie goals. How did you become 30 pounds overweight if you can't eat? Doesn't compute.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I actually don't have trouble eating my calories...AT. ALL. That said, if I did my go to would be peanut butter: protein, fat, delicious.. :)
  • ladymeldrum82
    Options

Eat more and follow the MFP calorie goals. How did you become 30 pounds overweight if you can't eat? Doesn't compute.

It does compute to me... Prolonged starvation diet causes body to begin storing everything we consume for emergencies... The storing causes weight gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm with you ladymeldrum. So hard to eat over 1000 calories without binging on bad food

There are bad diets .. and undereating is as much, if not more, of an issue as overeating

Do not eat low fat

You will, with long term low calorie input, affect your metabolism through adaptive thermogenisis .. you can fix it but it takes time .. and it takes support teams

this is not directed at OP - who seems as though she has identified an issue and will resolve it - this is directed at anybody who's attitude to food puts it in good and bad camps, who punishes themselves with their eating habits and who does not acheive their minimum nutritional requirements for health (which include minimum calories)

Cosign on all the above.

A peanut butter & jelly sandwich is nearly 500 calories (or more, depending on how much peanut butter you put on it, what bread you use, etc.). A handful of peanuts (which would be about a 3 oz. serving) is around 450 calories. Half of a medium avocado is nearly 100 calories. There are plenty of calorie dense foods which can very quickly contribute a considerable portion of one's daily calories if they're struggling to get enough food down. While I wouldn't advocate subsisting entirely on the above foods, they can certainly be part of an overall well-rounded diet and when it comes to people who are chronically and massively undereating, almost anything is better than nothing.

It does compute to me... Prolonged starvation diet causes body to begin storing everything we consume for emergencies... The storing causes weight gain.

Widely believed, but completely untrue. "Starvation Mode" is a myth. If it was true, starving children in Africa would be roly poly little pudge balls instead of emaciated skeletons. You can not gain weight while starving yourself, it's physically not possible. Adaptive thermogenesis can certainly affect the rate of loss to some degree, but it can't contradict the laws of energy balance/thermodynamics.
  • ladymeldrum82
    Options
    I actually don't have trouble eating my calories...AT. ALL. That said, if I did my go to would be peanut butter: protein, fat, delicious.. :)

Lol, that's funny because if I need a quick calorie boost I eat peanut butter or avocados...
  • ladymeldrum82
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Do not eat low fat

Cosign on all the above.

A peanut butter & jelly sandwich is nearly 500 calories (or more, depending on how much peanut butter you put on it, what bread you use, etc.). A handful of peanuts (which would be about a 3 oz. serving) is around 450 calories. Half of a medium avocado is nearly 100 calories. There are plenty of calorie dense foods which can very quickly contribute a considerable portion of one's daily calories if they're struggling to get enough food down. While I wouldn't advocate subsisting entirely on the above foods, they can certainly be part of an overall well-rounded diet and when it comes to people who are chronically and massively undereating, almost anything is better than nothing.

Widely believed, but completely untrue. "Starvation Mode" is a myth. If it was true, starving children in Africa would be roly poly little pudge balls instead of emaciated skeletons. You can not gain weight while starving yourself, it's physically not possible. Adaptive thermogenesis can certainly affect the rate of loss to some degree, but it can't contradict the laws of energy balance/thermodynamics.

Actually, having been an emaciated skeleton myself (without realizing it until I saw pix later), the stage I've been in for the last year makes sense... My ENTIRE body has been deteriorating, until I began working to increase my intake... My cells have been overworked & underfueled for over 20 years.... It makes sense that abusing my body like this for so long would cause it to begin to break down like this & be thrown into survival mode- storing any fuel it acquires... At any rate, I have taken responsibility for my own health & well-being, & am actively working on showing my body love for getting me this far, despite what it has suffered thru... It is a challenge, but I'm up for it... I'm new to this journey, and am still seeking new ways to help myself more... I have to say, I love that there are people in this community who understand me, and that I can relate to... I'm hoping to figure out how to be well, so that my friends who are enduring the same struggle can look at my journey & find hope...
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladymeldrum,

Adaptive Thermogenesis (aka survival mode - but not really) does not quite work like that. Bodies have an energy requirement (which various depending upon activity etc.)- it needs a basic amount of energy to perform essential functions such as cell growth and repair, hormone function etc. and for movement. It needs this everyday and has to have it from somewhere- food or body tissue/ fat.

When you dip below the minimum amount of energy 'IN' (aka defecit) it will use the energy from tissue/ fat - hence losing weight. Additionally prolonged under-eating will cause a few things to happen- non-essential functions will slow- slower healing, slower hair and nail growth, drier skin and the brain will also slow down the amount of movement we make (and some people still exercise, even when feeling exhausted). Adaptive thermogenesis involved 'smartening up' of some essential chemical and physical processes in the body to save a few calories (estimates are between 50-100 calories a day, 200 in a couple of recorded cases) . This effect may last anything from 6 months to 2 years after eating normally again. (in one recorded case it lasted 7 years).

I understand your struggle on a personal level as I have been prone to over-restricting many times in my life and I also have a very small appetite. Hugs
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Do not eat low fat

Cosign on all the above.

Actually, having been an emaciated skeleton myself (without realizing it until I saw pix later), the stage I've been in for the last year makes sense... My ENTIRE body has been deteriorating, until I began working to increase my intake... My cells have been overworked & underfueled for over 20 years.... It makes sense that abusing my body like this for so long would cause it to begin to break down like this & be thrown into survival mode- storing any fuel it acquires... At any rate, I have taken responsibility for my own health & well-being, & am actively working on showing my body love for getting me this far, despite what it has suffered thru... It is a challenge, but I'm up for it... I'm new to this journey, and am still seeking new ways to help myself more... I have to say, I love that there are people in this community who understand me, and that I can relate to... I'm hoping to figure out how to be well, so that my friends who are enduring the same struggle can look at my journey & find hope...

It's good that your working towards better health and wanting to help others. Having a community helps people hold on to goals.

Now to warm you that you are going to get a lot of flak with your story. I know you believe it all to be true. I mean who knows better than you but you are perpetuating a very common myth. "Starvation mode". It misinformation that can hinder a person's weight goals. It also doesn't apply to the OP'S situation.

OP try eating good with higher caloric density like PB sanwiches. Or keep some ice cream around. I don't know your stats but for that kind of loss you probably are at a higher weight. It does seem silly to ear more while on a loss diet but keeping the weight at a 2# max per week will keep you healthy. Just be sure to log acuratly to not accidentally go back into over eating. The only way to slow the loss is eat more.

If you're having trouble with yo-yoing try to remember this isn't a diet it's a life change. Lose the weight by eating how you would while not losing just with portion control. If you eliminate food types and change habits that you don't plan on continuing it's leads to a higher chance of regaining the weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladymeldrum,

Adaptive Thermogenesis (aka survival mode - but not really) does not quite work like that. Bodies have an energy requirement (which various depending upon activity etc.)- it needs a basic amount of energy to perform essential functions such as cell growth and repair, hormone function etc. and for movement. It needs this everyday and has to have it from somewhere- food or body tissue/ fat.

When you dip below the minimum amount of energy 'IN' (aka defecit) it will use the energy from tissue/ fat - hence losing weight. Additionally prolonged under-eating will cause a few things to happen- non-essential functions will slow- slower healing, slower hair and nail growth, drier skin and the brain will also slow down the amount of movement we make (and some people still exercise, even when feeling exhausted). Adaptive thermogenesis involved 'smartening up' of some essential chemical and physical processes in the body to save a few calories (estimates are between 50-100 calories a day, 200 in a couple of recorded cases) . This effect may last anything from 6 months to 2 years after eating normally again. (in one recorded case it lasted 7 years).

I understand your struggle on a personal level as I have been prone to over-restricting many times in my life and I also have a very small appetite. Hugs

This is an excellent explanation

There is of course the reinforcement from that danged water weight - when you start to increase your calories you can get water weight fluctuations that make you think you can't eat over a certain amount - this is where patience (and possibly conviction and knowledge of how the body actually works) come in

Ride it out - for a few weeks - it will stabilise

Then increase calories again and do the same

Until you get to a point where for 6-8 weeks you are increasing weight - at that point, drop back to the previous calories for a few months .. then try to increase again
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tiffany. I love you. Because you're one of those actually sensible people, who said "Sure, I'm losing weight, but this isn't the right way.."
    I was doing this towards the end of last year. I'm on the 5:2, so I'd have 500 calories on my fast day. But then, on my normal days, I was barely hitting 1300 calories, because compared to fasting, I felt like my meal sizes were huge, and I get full easily. So I didn't mind for a while, and I was losing 3/4lb a week.. then realised that eating that little wasn't going to do me any good. And then, the moment I did actually eat 1600, I'd gain weight! I needed to remind my body that 1300 wasn't my maintenance level, that 1600 was my goal.
    So, you can do things like, if you have porridge, add flaxseed - pretty high in calories, but still good for you.
    Find little things that are healthy, that you can fit in to make sure you hit your goals. Salmon instead of chicken, etc.
    It sucks, as you might gain weight for a week, maybe two, but then your body will get used to your new/proper maintenance calories.
    If you know what you're going to eat for the whole day, add it all in the morning, and check to see if that hits your goal. If it doesn't think about what you can eat to make sure you do.
    Protein shakes are a good way of making sure you hit your goals too, especially as you can add lots of stuff in, like porridge oats, seeds, dates etc.
    Good luck!

Are you losing 3/4 or 3 to 4 lbs per week?

Either way, it would be mathematically impossible to gain weight on the 1600 calories the 5 days a week and 500 the other two days. With your previous plan ((1300*5 + 500*2)/7), your average intake was 1070, and based on your weight loss your maintenance with be either 1446 or 2571 depending on which one your meant. By eating 1600, it would be ((1600*5 + 500*2)/7) = 1285. So the fluctuations in weight were either due to additional water weight/glycogen, additional food in the GI track or natural fluctuations in weight. The only real way to know is to track trends over a 4-6 week timeframe to make a more solid assessment, allowing yourself to know the real average maintenance.

OP, there are plenty of calorie dense foods; avocado, eggs, cheese, full fat dairy, nuts, peanut/nut butters, milk, red meats, dark fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc..), high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes, etc..