Knees are a little achey today...

Options
Protranser
Protranser Posts: 517 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been walking or jogging 6-7 days a week for the last few months. Mostly on concrete. Today, my knees are a little achey. This is not something I've experienced to this intensity until today. On a scale of 1-10(1 being minor and 10 being intense) I'd say it's a low 3 right now. I've had 1s and 2s days.

I will probably see a doctor because I don't want to ignore aches and pains and have them become debilitating injuries...

Has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome? Has it been inconsequential to your current ability to exercise?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My gut reaction to your post is 'my legs would ache too if I ran every day for months on concrete'. I think it sounds like you need a rest first and foremost. Obviously go to the doctor if it worries you.

How far are your runs? Were you running much before this?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Likely overuse. Rest days have a purpose.

Other causes might be your gat, or your shoes are worn out or inappropriate.

• Protranser
    Options
    about 3-5 miles each way, twice in a day. so 6-10 miles total of either walking or jogging per day. I don't think I've ever been much into jogging since this year, actually. I did it a little in my 20's and experienced a lot of pain and discomfort and general disinterest in continuing. Now that I've become fairly active over the last 8 months or so, walking and/or jogging is a pretty comfortable routine.

Eh, I'll see what the doctors say, just to be sure. I should probably just stick to walking for a while. I am pretty sure I'm landing on my feet in a bad way which may be putting most of the impact on the knees.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider new and better quality shoes. Do walking instead of running or take a break from both.
    Buy gel packs in the pharmacy and put them in the freezer to "ice" your knees two or three times a day.
    Consider different exercises: swimming, upper body, abs. Get a referral to a physical therapist who will show you how to work the muscles around the knees.
    This youtube might help: "Knee Pain Exercises - Physical Therapy For Knee Pain"
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    about 3-5 miles each way, twice in a day. so 6-10 miles total of either walking or jogging per day.

Absolutely no doubt about it then. Overuse.

Take a break
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Runners knee. You should rest at least twice a week. Especially because of your running surface of choice
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have achey knees, one worse than the other, from years of overuse (& running in combat boots & bad sneakers years ago). I don't run much anymore, do loads of other stuff including Nordic walking, to take some of the impact off them, & Pilates reformer to help build strength to support my knees. I do take rest days. If you are pounding pavement often, that's gotta take a big toll...take rest days, & maybe move off the pavement sometimes to grass or another, more forgiving surface.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'll take it easier on the jogging. I appreciate all your advice
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Another option is changing venue off the concrete onto a different surface. School tracks are ideal, but back in my school days of running cross-country my knees/feet would ache after road runs, but be just fine after running on grass.

Depending how old you are, you may benefit from taking an OTC supplement. Glucosamine is the usual go-to for joint health, but I've had better results from taking flaxseed oil. It's available in gelcap form at most Wal-Marts in the vitamin aisle. My knees haven't felt this good in a decade.