HCG - not all it's cracked up to be (my opinion)

Options
bdgfn
bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
I've seen a number of posts on here about the HCG diet plan, and I know that MFP does not endorse HCG, and in fact does not allow posts that support or encourage it. I am against using HCG, personally. This post is strictly my own experience, so keep that in mind.

First, there are actually two types of HCG plans. One is provided and monitored by a weight-loss professional, such as Metabolic Research Center. Their plan calls for a low calorie diet of natural foods, around 700-800 kcal per day, plus supplements (which, of course, they are more than happy to sell you). The other, by far more popular (in my experience) is the online/mail order plan. This plan normally calls for a very low calorie diet (500 kcal per day) and a ton of supplements, which, of course, they want to sell you. There are a number of companies that sell this product, and in my experience, the quality of the product varies.

I did the HCG diet several years ago. I wanted to lose a lot of weight...I weighed 285 at the time and wanted to get down to 225. And I did it, in 6 weeks of HCG. The first 10 pounds or so, of course, was water weight, and then some fat came off. But the body is a wonderful thing. When it senses that it is being starved, it goes into survival mode and does not burn the excess fat we want it to. No. It starts burning muscle mass. By the end of that six weeks, I was weak and had lost quite a bit of muscle. And then, within a couple of months, much of that weight had come back...but not in muscle. Nope. Additional fat. I tried it again, with similar results.

It is my opinion, based on my own experience, that the HCG plan should not be used, with the possible exception of someone who needs to lose a lot of weight in a very short time for medical reasons, for instance pre-surgery, and only then if it can be done under a doctor's supervision. However, I have not read of any reputable doctor who has endorsed HCG. That, IMHO, should say a lot.

So, bottom line, weight loss is a slower, more methodical process, and involves a change in lifestyle, mindset, and our relationship with food and exercise. There really is no magic potion that will get us the bodies we want in a short period of time with (virtually) no effort.

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Agreed but survival mode is bunk. With weight loss you will always lose some muscle and without a strength programme any gains afterwards are usually mostly body fat.

Personally I have nothing against short (stress- 'short') restrictive programmes as long as you know how to maintain afterwards. (I agree that 500 cals a day for 6 weeks is both ridiculous and dangerous).
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    OP, I am curious when you went off your 6 months what was your calorie intake, was it at a maintenance level based on BMR plus activity level?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    HCG diets are dangerous and not allowed on here according to the TOC. If you see one being promoted, report it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your correct that hcg isn't all its cracked up to be. Any diet plan that has people eating very low calories will result in weight loss. But like you said, much of that weight will be lost muscle mass. People have these delusions that they will start a vlcd ,quickly drop weight and look wonderful and fit. When really they end up looking saggy ,flabby and have also put themselves at a great risk. They usually gain the weight back fairly quickly.
    These diet pills and plans are not good for long term success . they are dangerous and teach nothing .
    Instead of a quick fix or looking for a magic pill ,its best to learn tools like portion control and moderation.
    There's an old saying " if you want something you will have to work for it!"
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What's the point of this thread? What is the actual agenda here?
  • bdgfn
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    OP, I am curious when you went off your 6 months what was your calorie intake, was it at a maintenance level based on BMR plus activity level?

It was 6 weeks, not 6 months. And I aimed for maintenance + activity level. But I strayed way off of that because for that 6 weeks I had denied myself any cravings rather than changed my views and lifestyle.
  • bdgfn
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Your correct that hcg isn't all its cracked up to be. Any diet plan that has people eating very low calories will result in weight loss. But like you said, much of that weight will be lost muscle mass. People have these delusions that they will start a vlcd ,quickly drop weight and look wonderful and fit. When really they end up looking saggy ,flabby and have also put themselves at a great risk. They usually gain the weight back fairly quickly.
    These diet pills and plans are not good for long term success . they are dangerous and teach nothing .
    Instead of a quick fix or looking for a magic pill ,its best to learn tools like portion control and moderation.
    There's an old saying " if you want something you will have to work for it!"

Exactly.
  • bdgfn
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    What's the point of this thread? What is the actual agenda here?

There is no agenda here. As I said, I have seen several threads about HCG and I just wanted to share my experience.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bdgfn wrote: »
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »

It was 6 weeks, not 6 months. And I aimed for maintenance + activity level. But I strayed way off of that because for that 6 weeks I had denied myself any cravings rather than changed my views and lifestyle.

So is it safe to say, you dropped a ton of weight (roughly 10 pounds a week) but did not change the lifestyle (portion control) and the diet caused you massive cravings.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm writing to let you know that our Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the creation of any forum posts, groups, or posts in groups that encourage the use of Very Low Calorie diets (including, but not limited to, VLCDs that use the HCG protocol).

MyFitnessPal has always promoted a healthy, sustainable, and gradual path to weight loss. But HCG products are typically promoted in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Research has demonstrated that calorie intake at these levels can lead to increased risk of gallstones, hair loss, constipation, an irregular heartbeat, and many other dangerous side-effects.

Moreover, numerous medical studies have shown that the results of HCG-use in combination with a very low calorie diet are indistinguishable from the results of the low calorie diet alone. In light of this research, the FDA has required the labeling and advertising of HCG products to state:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Our guidelines prohibit any use of Groups or the Public Forums to support the use of HCG. I am leaving this discussion open at this time since it is not encouraging the use of HCG. We reserve the right to close or delete it in the future.

Regards,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.