Runners - race timing question

Options
3dogsrunning
3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
For those who do the smaller races, how is timing done, aside from hiring a chip timing service?
Does your local club have their own timing system (if you know, what type) or what other alternatives do they use?

Chip timing service here is pretty cost prohibitive and our races are getting larger. We are struggling to find a system that is efficient, managable and user friendly. Our club is looking at buying a chip timing system, but don't really know how user friendly its going to be either.

Replies

• rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Define small? Some areas small, are others area large... Generally the cheapest timing for truly small events (let’s say up 100-200 participants) would be your classic popsicle stick timing. Going more advanced from there and hosting a larger field would be tear off bibs, this does require a computer and someone knowledgeable with an applicable program. A good timer, using bib tear off can support up to and over 500 participants. Once the event gets too large for tear off, the only real way to go is RFID chip timing.... chip time is the most expensive as the equipment costs are REALLY high....
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Define small? Some areas small are others area large... General the cheapest timing for truly small events lets say up 100-200 participants would be your classic popscicle stick timing. Going more advance from there and hosting a larger field would be tear off bibs, does require computer and someone knowledgable with a applicable program. A good timers, using bib tear off can support up to and over 500 participants. Once th events gets too large for tears, the only real way to go if RFID chip timing.... chip time is the most expensive as the equiptment costs are REALLY high....

Our largest race (the one I am responsible for) was over 400 here. We tried the bib system with a timer app. Didn't go so well. Like, nightmare bad. Of course it was a huge learning curve for us. There are some improvements to be made but I still worry it is too large.
    We did one again today, 135, while not as bad as the other, we still had issues.
    The rest are under 150. We have used Popsicle sticks and still do for a lot.

Any suggestions on RFID systems, I believe that is what our club is looking at.

ETA - I guess I was also wondering if other places handle them the same way/ experience the same problems.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    We have always contracted with a timing company for our events. There are several in our area. They do a great job--they also help with registration and can perform other race management tasks as desired.

In the past we used a company that used the traditional chonomix system (bib tear off). That is more than sufficient for our race (400-450 runners) and even for races twice the size.

This year, in response to runner requests, I am using a chip timing company. Although I found out, it 's not really "chip timing" per se, since they are not putting mats on the start line. Now I know why the price was so reasonable.

We are handling the registrations on our own this year, but I can't imagine taking on the whole timing/results process as well. Not for a once/year event.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    We have always contracted with a timing company for our events. There are several in our area. They do a great job--they also help with registration and can perform other race management tasks as desired.

In the past we used a company that used the traditional chonomix system (bib tear off). That is more than sufficient for our race (400-450 runners) and even for races twice the size.

This year, in response to runner requests, I am using a chip timing company. Although I found out, it 's not really "chip timing" per se, since they are not putting mats on the start line. Now I know why the price was so reasonable.

We are handling the registrations on our own this year, but I can't imagine taking on the whole timing/results process as well. Not for a once/year event.

Thanks!
    We only have one option and they aren't even in the area, which also affects cost. I still wanted to hire them by I am on a committee who really don't want to (they haven't had to enter the results in a data sheet for 400 people, their times and age category like I did the year before last).
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a difference between true chip timed and computerized/chip finish. On races where the corals are not overly large, the gun start / chip finish is a great lower cost alternative.

We are fortunate to have a local timer who has 20+ years timing experience and does very well with bib tear off.

You need to push the committee to seek out donations to cover the cost of the chip timing. You will lose more participants and your event turnout will fail if you consistently have issues with timing. Nothing hacks a runner off more than either an incorrect distance course or messed up times…
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My office has contracted with local timers, but it sounds like that's not cost effective for you.

The local running club has been researching buying their own system, but I'm not sure where that stands at this point.

The local tri club bought chips and I wrote an application to handle the timing/math side of things. It worked really well except:
    1) chips had to be within 4-6 inches of the mat/sense, which made it hard to implement
    2) required a laptop be present. We were looking for a solution that could be left "unmanned" during training sessions and the need for a laptop prevented that.

Other than those 2 issues, it worked well. Find better chips/sensors/mats that have a bigger range and it should be fine for races (where it's ok ot have someone sit with the equipment).