Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie burn

I have a step meter on my phone that I use but don't trust it yesterday it said I walked 3.4 miles and burned 242 calories is that right? It seems like alot

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    It depends mostly on your BMR and speed, and to a lesser extent elevation change, but just ignore that for now.

Figure out your estimated BMR (basal metabolic rate) Calorie burn per minute using the MFP APPS > BMR calculator.
    For me (147lbs, 5'8", 54yo), BMR = (1483 Cals/day) / (1440 min / day) = 1.03 Cals/min

Determine your average speed from the total amount of time it took you to walk 3.4 miles.
    For now, assume you walked at 3.0 mph and it took 68 min.
    (3.4 miles) / (3.0 miles/hr) = 1.1333 hr x (60 min/hr) = 68 min

Use the EXERCISE > Exercise Diary > Cardiovascular > Add Exercise to select "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod pace."
    For me, at 3.0 mph for 68 min, this estimate gives me 250 Cals.

Subtract your BMR Cals for those minutes.
    For me, 68 min * (1.03 Cals/min) = 70 Cals

Estimated total Cals burned = 250 Cals - 70 Cals = 180 Cals.

I would then log 49 min at 3.0 mph, instead of 68 min at 3.0 mph, which would give me 180 Cals.

Note that the estimated Cals I would log, which subtracts my BMR Cals for that time period, is only 72% of the Calories MFP estimates, which is why many users only eat back between 50-75% of the total Calories MFP provides for most exercises.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    matt2238 wrote: »
    I have a step meter on my phone that I use but don't trust it yesterday it said I walked 3.4 miles and burned 242 calories is that right? It seems like alot

OK - the steps you took. Were those intentional steps? Above and beyond your normal routine?
    Does your phone sync to your MFP account?

The reason I ask, when you signed onto MFP as sedentary (or lightly active, whatever) MFP already gave you credit for some steps. If the phone is not synced to MFP then you risk double counting.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

If a certain level of steps is your norm - you could just up your activity level in MFP.