This kids making my eyes cross!

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I know it's a small thing but sometimes the little things just drive you crazy the most haha. I have a 19 year old step son, one of his few jobs around the house is to take out the trash. Cliche I know, but there you have it. He will take the trash out and put it not IN the bin but right in front of it, so it makes our house look nice and trashy. The bin is not full he is just lazy. Husband had a talk yesterday about it, this morning I go to my car and what do I see on the ground outside the trash bin, TRASH! I pick it up put it in a half full bin. The next thing going in that bin is HIM. Was it on purpose or does he have the memory of a dog, I don't know but it's time for a come to Jesus meeting!

What do your kids do that just doesn't make sense or that drives you nuts! (It'll make me feel like i'm not alone lol)

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I was pretty lucky. Had three daughters. I can't recall ever having a problem with them doing their chores. They all seemed to do pretty well chipping in and doing their share.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you have old-style metal or plastic trash cans, then I kind of sympathize with your stepson. I definitely remember hating that chore with a violent passion, and I'm sure there were times when I just gave up wrestling with the fricking lid in the cold/heat/rain and just left the bag on the ground. The handle is always gross, it reeks especially if there are babies or pets in the house, and those lids just suck to get off and on.

Ever since I got good a sturdy rolling plastic bins with a hinged lid, taking out the trash stopped being a much-loathed pain in the *kitten* and became no big deal.

For the sake of family peace and everyone's convenience, consider something like this: http://tinyurl.com/gmvmaks
  • Grimmerick
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lol thanks, no it is a very easy to open lid and the trash was less than half full, I sometimes have to take it out because he forgets and it's not gross or anything, I quite literally picked it up from five inches in front of the trash can and put it in in 3.0 seconds. His reason was that his dad talked to him about a bag of trash not a box( the box was very small just had to toss it in), and very sarcastically said that "I'm so sorry it was freezing outside and I didn't take five extra seconds to throw it in the trash can" I quoted because that was his exact response. Lol I know teens can be nuts and I am sure I was too, but man I just don't get the logic there. The being freezing outside would have meant more if he didn't do it in the spring summer and fall as well.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If he can't do that easy of a chore, then give him another one. If he doesn't do them right, ground him. Can't take out the trash the right way? Bye cell phone. Can't do the dishes? Bye computer. Can't pick up your room? Bye TV. Give him a new chore for every time he doesn't do the first chore right, along with a punishment. Kids need punishment more now-a-days. If he starts doing the chores the right way, give him the TV back. He keeps doing it right, take away a chore. Keeps doing it right, give him the computer back, etc.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Its all about picking your battles. Does he take drugs? Bring hookers home? Drink till drunk and stay out late? Skip school or work? None of the above? Please consider just passing on the garbage thing. We are all just human, but it does feel good to vent every once in awhile!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Thanks! I actually only posted this to get funny stories from others and vent a little, but It didn't work out that way.