Couch to 5k : how to log exercise?

Options
kf1834
kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've started using the Couch to 5k app, which starts with alternating periods of walking and jogging until after 9 weeks you get to a sustained running of - you guessed it - a 5k.
If you have done this before or are doing it now or any other program of walking and running, how do you log the exercise in MFP? I don't have a Fitbit or other device.
Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    At least one of the C25K apps (rundouble) clocks the calories too. Or use MapMyRun alongside what you have now.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Distance divided by time and find the calorie burn for that pace.
    If you averaged 15 minutes a mile (4 mph), log it as a walk at that pace.
    12 minutes a mile (5 mph)? It's a run at that pace.
    They are averages and estimates. Plug in the best numbers you have.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Do you do it on a treadmill? I just use my calories from that although I know it's not always the most accurate. If I do it outside, I track my time and distance to figure out my mph rate and put that into my fitness pal. So yesterday I did 4 mph for 30 mins even though I technically didn't do 4 mph the whole time.

Maybe not the most accurate way to do it though so maybe others have a better way.
  • kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    on the mfp app there is a bit where you can look for apps which work with mfp, including two c25k programmes and yes they are free, one is blue and ones is orange
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Either pondee629's or samchez0's method are fine.

Or you could just not worry about it unless you feel extra peckish and aren't okay eating within your set calorie goal.

I have a Vivofit connected that does a little bit of an adjustment (which I mostly ignore), but it is only tracking steps, not walking vs. running, and no idea if it is accurate for things like the elliptical or rowing machine. It may also track steps for random movement that isnt' really a step at all.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    C25K connects to the MFP app. Make sure the two apps are connected, then after your workout on C25K, when it asks you if you want to share, you can click on the MFP icon at the top of the screen and it will sync your workout to MFP.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    which c25k connects with mfp? i have an android
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    which c25k connects with mfp? i have an android

These apps work with MFP:

C25K by Zen Labs
    or
    RunDouble C25K

I used the Zen Labs app, and it's a great program.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.c25k&hl=en