Did anyone watch the show Fit-To-Fat-To-Fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Stupid premise. Stupid show.

Well that's an in depth view. @snickerscharlie , why did you think both the premise and show were stupid? I'm just curious, as I thought it was interesting, but more on the level of the psychology aspect. The trainers would obviously (well hopefully!) have a much better information base, as well as the confidence and experience. But it was an attempt to get into the minds of the other person at least.

It's stupid from the premise of mindset. You cannot compare someone who has most likely been overweight all of their adult life and who has compulsive overeating at the core of their issue with some fabulously fit person who suddenly force-feeds themselves to gain weight for a stupid TV show.

They aren't comparable, so their experience - with the gaining or the losing aspect - won't be comparable.

I agree 100%. A person who has been sedentary and obese for most of their life likely knows virtually nothing whatsoever about nutrition or training. Eating at a deficit and structuring their diet is going to be something completely new (and probably very difficult) for them, and mustering up the discipline to overcome the initial hurdles to physical fitness (DOMS, exhaustion, lots of sweat, etc.) can be a huge obstacle. The trainer is presumably far more versed in nutrition and has a solid fitness base to work from, even if he lets himself go for a while. If he (the trainer) has run through a few bulk/cut cycles in his time, this is all old hat to him - been there, done that. Psychologically, he knows what it will take and is 100% confident that he can get the job done.

To the lifelong obese person, they're stepping onto new, unfamiliar and scary ground, often with no confidence that they can even actually do it (read the millions of "I can't do this!" threads here on MFP). The trainer isn't getting into the other person's mindset in any way - he's a fit person in a (newly) fat body. There's no psychological similarities whatsoever between the two, regardless of how much weight the trainer puts on.

It's another made-for-TV weight loss debacle with all the attendant drama, but like every other weight loss show it bears no resemblance to reality.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Because new and unfamiliar ground doesn't apply to a person who has been healthy, thin, and fit long term and is now 60 pounds heavier?

As for initial hurdles to fitness, the best way to overcome them is to do it. Huge numbers of people do it joining the military yearly, many who have done nothing in the way of fitness when they were young. The same would apply to anyone who finally loses weight, proving to themselves they can do it and that it can be done.

The primary difference in most cases is mindset IMO. One has already proven to themselves they can do it, the other has not and needs to see it proven. And then you have to huge numbers of people who know it can be done, yet don't do it. Cue the "weight loss is different for me" threads.

As for the psychology aspect, I think on all levels there is a huge difference between someone explaining it can be done, and having someone telling you it can be done while actually doing it and proving it can be done.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's another made-for-TV weight loss debacle with all the attendant drama, but like every other weight loss show it bears no resemblance to reality.
    I'm glad there are weight loss reality shows, unrealistic or not. They seem to be getting somewhat better. BL was the first and is the worst. I'm enjoying ABC's latest offering, though of course it could be better.

It's not like many people would watch a show that is just mildly overweight people losing slowly, through moderate diet and exercise. That's be as dull as watching an actual cop's, doctor's or lawyer's day instead of CSI, House or The Good Wife.

• jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Because new and unfamiliar ground doesn't apply to a person who has been healthy, thin, and fit long term and is now 60 pounds heavier?

As for initial hurdles to fitness, the best way to overcome them is to do it. Huge numbers of people do it joining the military yearly, many who have done nothing in the way of fitness when they were young. The same would apply to anyone who finally loses weight, proving to themselves they can do it and that it can be done.

The primary difference in most cases is mindset IMO. One has already proven to themselves they can do it, the other has not and needs to see it proven. And then you have to huge numbers of people who know it can be done, yet don't do it. Cue the "weight loss is different for me" threads.

As for the psychology aspect, I think on all levels there is a huge difference between someone explaining it can be done, and having someone telling you it can be done while actually doing it and proving it can be done.

Yeah but how big did the trainer really get? He didn't put on THAT much weight, I mean he looked a bit heavier. It isn't nearly the mental weight that a really overweight person carries. I mean, he did it for the show. He knew it was coming off. He was heavy but nothing like being really obese. It makes for good TV though and advertisers are the ones with the $$$. I am not saying that his effort wasn't in good will, I just don't think 4 months can compare with 10, 15+ years of the baggage heavy people endure. All IMO of course. But at least it raises awareness for health and weight loss.