Alternative to push-ups?

Options
Hey! I have tendonitis in my wrists that is flaring up more and more these days--I perform with an all-adult marching band colorguard and we are in training for this year's parades--and I need to work on my upper back, chest, and arm strength.

What kinds of exercises would be good to substitute for push ups? I can support myself on my fingers for only so long--planks are still doable so I'm doing those for my core regime.

I'm familiar with the standard dumbbell-behind-the-head move, but with an absence of large gym equipment I'm struggling to find creative alternatives. YouTube links to some things you guys recommend would be great! Thank you! Or, suggest the weight and reps I should aim for with Dumbbells? I'm trying to build some strength (easier to toss a rifle!) but also toning.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you used a pair of dumbbells as push up stands? You can keep the wrist totally neutral and might allow you to do them pain free.

The martial arts variation on this is to make fists and do them on your knuckles... same difference as above but no equipment needed and you toughen up the skin on your knuckles too...

Again achieving a neutral wrist position by any method will give you the best chance of doing them painfree. Using this method you can wrap your wrists like a boxer or a powerlifter and get some extra support.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Have you used a pair of dumbbells as push up stands? You can keep the wrist totally neutral and might allow you to do them pain free.

The martial arts variation on this is to make fists and do them on your knuckles... same difference as above but no equipment needed and you toughen up the skin on your knuckles too...

Again achieving a neutral wrist position by any method will give you the best chance of doing them painfree. Using this method you can wrap your wrists like a boxer or a powerlifter and get some extra support.

Neutral meaning straight and aligned with my arm versus 90 degrees (like in a regular push up)?

I hadn't thought about the using Dumbbells to change my support angles! Thanks!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Neutral meaning straight and aligned with my arm versus 90 degrees (like in a regular push up)?

I hadn't thought about the using Dumbbells to change my support angles! Thanks!

Yes, that's exactly it.

Imagine trying to punch something hard with your wrist bent at 90 degrees: ouch.

Now imagine a punch thrown properly with the wrist straight (and better yet, a wrapped wrist): much better!

Dumbbells are a great, free pair (if you have a pair laying around) of push up stands.