How would ovaltine rate compared to the shakeology fix everyone is doing?

Options
I have lost 27 pounds so far all with out using the shakeolgy but since I am aiming for a healthier me. I really don't have the money for shakeology stuff. I followed some fitness threads on my FB account and really liked it. However most are shake reps looking to get customers. I am unable to commit to buying since we a re a one income hh. I have been doing Greek yogurt, banana, flax seed and apple smoothies in the morning and that is about 500 calories. 'Today I did an oval-tine blend using skim milk, 50g blue berries, 60g strawberries 90g peeled banana and logged 264 calories. It was delicious!!

Any input or advice is appreciated!! :)

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    sounds like what you are doing is working. I believe ovaltine has vitamins in it too, I don't see why that would be any different then the shakology stuff and at a fraction of the price. You probably don't need the vitamins as it sounds like you are eating a balanced diet as is and are likely getting the macro and micros you need, but it can't hurt and if it tastes delicious stick with it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a pretty rare disease, you don't need shakeology or any type of shake to be healthy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You don't need shakeology. It's made with inferior protein sources and the "superfoods" are just advertising hype. There is no such thing as "superfoods". There's nothing magical in there. As you've found, the 'craze' about shakeology is nothing more than beachbody coaches trying to make money selling their products.
  • blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I purposely let myself get to the point of obesity and stayed there for a while. Not sure why I let my self go.( Maybe a touch bit of depression) It's kind of sad though! But I guess I needed to prove to myself and others around me that weight can come off by hard work and determination. Sure it's not as easy to get it off as it is to put it on. But hard work is what it takes to be where you want to be.

I have also come to realize that a lot of people want a quick fix or a sit on their butt diet plan. It's just not that easy. I have proved it to myself that it can be done with out all the fads and said to be quick fixes. I am working hard for a healthier me and trying to make sure I am making all the best decisions I can.

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad I decided to be healthy again it really does feel so good!! and I actually enjoy logging my foods it is a new found hobby of mine a good one at that!! :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

I have also come to realize that a lot of people want a quick fix or a sit on their butt diet plan. It's just not that easy. I have proved it to myself that it can be done with out all the fads and said to be quick fixes. I am working hard for a healthier me and trying to make sure I am making all the best decisions I can.

And there are even more people willing to take advantage of those looking for a quick fix by selling junk like Shakeology. Don't fall for it. Save your money and learn how to eat for life.

Good luck.
  • blue_eyes1978
    Options
    There is only one concern that I am possibly lacking nutrients or minerals my body needs. My thumb nails have been splitting for at least 4 years. It started after the birth of my last child and I have never seemed to get them to stop. Both thumbs do it and it drives me nuts. Un knotting kids shoes and any thing really just rips the nail off. It frustrated me and I have been trying to pin point what I need to give to my body to get rid of that brittleness in my finger nails.

No worries I am not falling for the shakeology stuff... lol I don't have the money and I enjoy finding yummy foods I enjoy eating and love the game of staying in my calorie zone for the day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Regarding the brittle nails, maybe try taking L-Lysine. It's a naturally occurring amino acid which is great for hair and nails as well as helping to prevent or shorten the life span of cold sores, if you ever get them. It's all of a few bucks for 50+ pills in the vitamin section.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If the brittle nails are a concern, maybe you could take a daily multivitamin for a while? Sometimes its a good idea while going on a very low calorie diet.
  • blue_eyes1978
    Options
    Regarding the brittle nails, maybe try taking L-Lysine. It's a naturally occurring amino acid which is great for hair and nails as well as helping to prevent or shorten the life span of cold sores, if you ever get them. It's all of a few bucks for 50+ pills in the vitamin section.

Luckily I have never suffered from cold cores!! I will check it out and give it some thought! Thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Ralphie loved Ovaltine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • blue_eyes1978
    Options
    If the brittle nails are a concern, maybe you could take a daily multivitamin for a while? Sometimes its a good idea while going on a very low calorie diet.

I have been working on getting my digestion cycle in order I will start taking my multivitamins. I just don't want it to mess with my going to the bathroom. In the past I related some of my "bm" issues to my multivitamin. ( May or may not have been related but I stopped taking them to get relief.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used to get heartburn from multivitamins until I switched to a plant based one vs synthetics (I buy Rainbow Light on Amazon where it is cheaper, but there are other brands). I also take Natures Bounty burp free fish oil (get on BOGO at CVS or Walgreens). I can tell a huge difference in my hair and nails when I take both.
  • blue_eyes1978
    Options
    Thank so much for all of this information! I Will be looking in to these and hope to see some improvements :)

Take Care!!

karahm78 wrote: »
    I used to get heartburn from multivitamins until I switched to a plant based one vs synthetics (I buy Rainbow Light on Amazon where it is cheaper, but there are other brands). I also take Natures Bounty burp free fish oil (get on BOGO at CVS or Walgreens). I can tell a huge difference in my hair and nails when I take both.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Isn't ovaltime choc-full of sugar?
  • blue_eyes1978
    edited January 2016
    Options
    9g sugar is all there is in just the ovaltine... 120 calories oval tine and skim .......then if I add banana and strawberries its like 230 calories total then 24 g total sugar with skim and all the fruit figured together. I really am seeing results going from maintenance mode to this for a week. I was doing the Greek yogurt and banana apple and flax and was seeing slow results.
  • skippygolunks2014
    skippygolunks2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does Ovaltine have added sugar? If it does I would skip it. If whey protein is not something you want to use make a shake of nonfat greek, banana or berries and one tablespoon of 100% dark cocoa. One T is only 30 calorie and it has lots of anti oxidents. You can add sweetener if you need it as well as spinach etc. You can find cocoa in the baking aisle at the market. I would steer clear of packaged drinks. I will bet there are a whole lot of things listed on the label that you can't even pronounce.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Does Ovaltine have added sugar? If it does I would skip it. If whey protein is not something you want to use make a shake of nonfat greek, banana or berries and one tablespoon of 100% dark cocoa. One T is only 30 calorie and it has lots of anti oxidents. You can add sweetener if you need it as well as spinach etc. You can find cocoa in the baking aisle at the market. I would steer clear of packaged drinks. I will bet there are a whole lot of things listed on the label that you can't even pronounce.

You mean like all these scary, unpronounceable things in a banana? Eek, and it has sugar too!

41je4npy0kue.jpg
  • Tnangaley
    Tnangaley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, all that matters for weight loss is calories, and you are already having success, so stick with it :)

Any protein shake plus a multivitamin will get you what you would get from Shakeology, for a lot less $$$, and there is no proof any of the other stuff in there is in enough quantity to make a difference, and even if it was if it would do anything.

Mmmm, Ovaltine. I haven't had that in ages. May have to stop by the grocery store on the way home :)
  • Gertie011
    Gertie011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've wondered just today, if its possible to use the 40 calorie choc drinks like hilights,let them cool and whizz up with a banana, not really as a meal replacement but just a treat?