Medication makes me insanely hungry... advice?

Options
Hi all!

The past year and a bit I've been on and off badly ill, and for the past 7 weeks or so I've been on a new medication. Problem is, this past 2 weeks I've been ravenously hungry.

I had success with the 5:2 method of IF previously, losing around 20kg, which I have slowly put back on over the period of my illness, but when I tried to fast again last week, the hunger was genuinely painful.

While I will mention this to my doctor next time I see them, does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation in the meantime, or even just some advice? I really want to get back into managing my eating and the path I was on before.

I'm grateful for anything constructive; I will in no way be the only one who has experienced this, and I'm hoping some of you have had success, even with this sort of set back!

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    In the past I've been on medications that have the hungry side effect. It's difficult. Have you tried raising your calories a tad to see if just a little bit will curb the hunger?

This is a good thread to read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10279674/medical-conditions-which-affect-weight-separating-fact-from-fiction/p1
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link :) (I get a little notification in the corner... that's a new one!)

I haven't actually even tried logging calories at the moment with this going on. But I think trying to start logging at maintenance is a good idea, as then the level of hunger I feel (if any) would be the "natural" level rather than the "weight loss" level.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Years ago, at a time when life circumstances were crushing me (divorce involving small children, best friend dying of cancer, etc.) I was put on an antidepressant (Celexa) to get me functional. That it did, but within a week of starting it I could not stop eating. You may as well have asked me to stop breathing. I gained 13 pounds in a month. I've never felt so out of control in my life. The only thing that helped was getting me off the med. I wish I had some advice for you, but that's how it worked out for me. :(

I wish you good luck and good health. {hug}
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Easiest things to do are to increase your protein at meals and stock snacks that are either high protein, or low calorie density. More protein at meals is to improve satiation, and the calorie bargain snacks are to mow into when the high protein meal just doesn't get the job done. Not necessarily a formula for weight loss, but good for damage control at least.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had a bad time, Nadler - thank you very much for the advice and luck :)

Thanks Ilex. I had a look at what doctors recommend with this sort of medication and, against what I would've thought, it says to avoid protein as it can actually lower the effectiveness! I might alternate my meals and do high protein, high carbs (the macro they recommend to get the medication to work best) and see what happens.

I love my protein and would have no objection topping up on that all the while; so I will certainly have a go at protein packed meals and see what the results are between the two!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I took a medication that increased appetite. I take one now, but it isn't as bad. I was able to lose weight then by eating more protein. and walking more. and keeping the cookies out of the house.

I am here trying to lose weight again, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and honesty, Lorib!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    My brother takes mood stabilizers and anti psychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained and has maintained a healthy weight for 18 months.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm on predisnolone and those who have been on it will know that you literally feel (and look) like a cookie monster for a lot of the time. sudden attacks of omg, I will actually eat the chair type moments....

I can honestly say the only thing that helps me through this time (and yes there are times when I cannot help myself) is to be anal about my weighing, whether its a biscuit or a piece of cucumber, log it before I eat it and don't dare eat without seeing it on a screen. Its brutal and annoying (my 2 year old passes me my phone as Im plating supper!!!!) but that is only way I can convince myself not to eat more. The weight loss is slow and painful, but the scales are going down, which is great..... PM if you like...