soda

Options
im having the hardest time giving up sodas. I know they are empty calories and have no nutritional value, but still drink 3-4 a day. any suggestions on how to get rid of my habit? Thank you.

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Try Sparkling Ice.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Switch to a diet sparkling water -- then to a flavored still water -- then to lemon water -- then to water.
  • kristle_stewart
    kristle_stewart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try a caffeine pill. That way you don't get the withdrawal headaches and mood swings. I gave up my Dr. Pepper habit when I started taking a fat burning pill that contained caffeine. Make sure you don't take a pill too late it will keep you up.
  • mscott1781
    mscott1781 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't give up drinking pop cold turkey! I applaud those people that can do it but for me, the headaches and cravings were always too much. For me, the best way is to slowly wean myself off of them. If you normally have 3-4 a day cut back to 2-3 a day. Then, the next week or so cut back to 1-2 a day and so on. This way you're giving yourself time to get used to the idea. Plus, make sure to add more water to your daily routine!
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yeah I hear ya! If I don't buy it I am OK. But if I do buy a 12 pack it will be gone right away :/. I just started buying crystal lite packets and put them in water. There really isn't much you can do but avoid places that sell soda and drink a ton of water after 3 days you should be better off! GOOD LUCK! It is a tough one to overcome.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I struggled to quit it too, so one day I dropped it cold turkey and that was that. I never looked back! The first week was littered with awful migraines, but I figured I had suffered too much to give up and drink soda again. The second/third week I began feeling amazing, and that's when I knew I was glad I had just given it up. Oddly enough, I have a lot more energy now; I wake up happier in the mornings and fall asleep quicker at night; I sleep much, much better; and I no longer even want it.

There's plans for drinking a little less each day (I think you decrease your intake by 10% until you have no more left to drink), so I'd google that!

Edited to say that cold turkey is not the easiest way, but nothing else was working for me!
  • cathywvmonroe
    Options
    I cut back from 3 a day to 2 - in part because of the health research about how bad diet soda is for your kidneys, and to limit to 2/day.. When I do drink one, I try to leave part of it in the can. I do 1 caffeine (diet Dr. Pepper) per day, and 1 non-caffeine/day - and try also to substitute water for the non-caffeine at least twice a week. When I want another Dr. Pepper, I think about my kidneys - helps me.