Cholesterol

Options
I recently got blood work done and it showed my cholesterol was a bit high. I do eat pretty healthy but think that one reason may be that I do eat eggs every day for breakfast. Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively low breakfasts that are also lower cholesterol? I try to have my breakfasts be less than 200 calories as I can only eat 1200 calories a day and like to spend my calories at other times of the day.
thanks for the help!

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I believe the newest research says that up to seven eggs a week is fine. They do contain cholesterol, but it's now known that dietary cholesterol has a minimal effect on blood cholesterol. So in your shoes I'd go ahead and have my eggs a few times a week. My go to breakfast is a slice of Arnold country sourdough bread toasted, then popped in the microwave for a few seconds to melt a slice of deli cheddar cheese on top. That's right about 200 calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It is now becoming accepted that it is excessive carbohydrates that raises unhealthy cholesterol in some people. Triglycerides can go up, HDL can go down and LDL becomes the denser pattern B. Overall or total cholesterol might be lower but that is often because HDL is low.

For a minority, fats will raise cholesterol.

Do you know your actual numbers?

Anyways, people are able to lower cholesterol with a low carb high fat diet or a high carb low fat diet. Breakfast recommendations would need to reflect how you are eating for the rest of your day. Good luck. :)