Being impatient wanting to lose weight faster

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Just be persistent and totally honest with yourself about your food intake.

When I started paying attention to my weight last November, it was slow and tough progress. Here's what helped me keep my head in the game :smile:

1. Giving up was not an option. I realized that my weight was significantly impacting my life in a negative way, and unchecked would destroy it.
    2. I didn't become 100 lbs overweight overnight. It took more than fifteen years. So expecting it to come off fast was unreasonable.
    3. I gave myself much credit for attaining deficit intake. Before I was eating much in excess of my needs, going to a 500 calorie deficit was a huge shock to my habits and to my hunger.
    4. Just not gaining was a victory in and of itself.
    5. I'm good at deferred reward. I went to graduate school... Twice. So I knew that if I hung in there, it's pay off in the long run. Compared to understanding quantum mechanics, calorie counting is a breeze.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    gfjay wrote: »

Because of that I've had to teach myself to not set goals related to the number on the scale, but instead create goals for actions I can take. So I have goals to eat vegetables with every meal, or work out 3-4 days per week, etc. If you look at my results, you'd think it was great (which it is) and it was non-stop success over 5 weeks. The reality is there were many days of feeling like you have been. And I know that a year or two from now, when I am down 100-200 pounds, I'll look back and be glad I didn't let those rough days slow me down or cause me to make bad decisions.

You can do this!

Well put. Good advice here.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    I've learnt it's not a race.... Doesn't matter how quickly you want to get there, getting there is the achievement!
    I started slow, I had 100lbs too lose. I'm about 20lbs off and it's taken just over 2yrs to get to this point.
    The first stone was the toughest! Kept checking my scales wishing the numbers to move daily!! They will move as long as your stay focused, keep logging & slowly you'll get there.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear. I sometimes go two weeks without losing a pound (or even gaining) and then BAM! in week 3 I'll drop 4 lbs.

I needed to read this this morning. Thank you.

This is what I found! Still the same now!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    nessssa36 wrote: »
    I've read great things, you guys are really helpful. I do want this to last forever and it's more of a lifestyle change for me. So I get it, patience, calorie deficit, and working out is even better. I guess I do need to remind myself that some weeks I might gain not lose but not to be discouraged.
    It's just I have 100 pounds to lose so it's just a little frustrating not seeing change fast.

I lost 100lbs in less than 8 months. Then I gained half of it back. I promise you the patience is key. I'm trying to be much more patient this time around and stop racing toward an imaginary finish line. There isn't an end, only a continuation. So this time I'm just living life. I'm not killing myself at the gym, I'm not starving, I am still over working myself just to avoid sitting bored at home but it's a little less intense this time round.

You don't lose 100lbs all at once, you lose 1 pound one hundred times. Try to break it up in your mind.
  • Jammin596
    Jammin596 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't forget "starvation mode". If your calories are too low, your body stops losing and starts storing. Your body must be consuming enough calories to encourage burning calories. Can be a bit tricky!!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in your impatience! I think it is perhaps the most difficult thing to accept mentally, when going on a diet, the sheer amount of time it will take - even when you put it into context.

It's took me 3 months to lose the first 10 pounds. It felt like forever. Especially in the first two months when my weight would fluctuate up and down due to water retention and ToM etc so that it sometimes felt like I'd lost barely nothing. But now I'm thinking, okay, if I continue at this rate then I will lose 40 pounds over a year. And actually, that sounds pretty good.

The best bit of motivational advice that I've read is that in a year's time you will be glad you started now. I'm holding onto that (with both hands).
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Jammin596 wrote: »
    Don't forget "starvation mode". If your calories are too low, your body stops losing and starts storing. Your body must be consuming enough calories to encourage burning calories. Can be a bit tricky!!
    Sorry but NO. No starvation mode. OP please ignore. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Be patient, expect the fluctuations, and be happy as your weight trends down.

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Great support for the OP here. I also remind her to take body measurements and photos. Sometimes when the scale is upsetting, having another metric to gauge progress is helpful. I did not, and am very regretful because I became quite obsessed with the scale for a while. I'm getting better, now.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Jammin596 wrote: »

Nope. Doesn't exist. Get the science correct.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't think about the 100 lbs, just take it one pound at a time. It isn't easy but it def can be done. 17 days is not a long time. I've been at it 19 months with lots of success (-128) but still have several months to goal. The rest of your life is a long time. That's how long we have to keep this up. But we only can do it one day at a time. Success always comes when you least expect it.
  • jaorti95
    jaorti95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    nessssa36 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced a steady weight loss of a pound or two a week and then boom! A month in the weight just starts falling off a few pounds or more a week. I'm on day 17 of calories in calories out and am looking for a little motivation to either keep doing
    Things how I have been or step up my exercise to see better results. Thanks! :)

If you want to lose more weight, you have to create a larger calorie deficit. 1-2lbs a week is very good process, you should just keep at it.

What do you mean?
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    burn more calories than you eat = calorie deficit