Cycling

Options
theedgecoach521
theedgecoach521 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking for other cyclists all levels. Been teaching and riding since 85. I also coach but I'm just looking for like minded folks, that are on here and want to train and get fit together. Group would be great, to keep each other held accountable, strava would be a Hugh plus

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There are several groups and challenges going. Just search the groups.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am just curious what does the "starvation" in your sentence "Group would be great, to keep each other held accountable, starvation would be a Hugh plus mean?

Not a cyclist, but just saw it and was wondering... LOL
  • theedgecoach521
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am just curious what does the "starvation" in your sentence "Group would be great, to keep each other held accountable, starvation would be a Hugh plus mean?

Was a joke, cyclists after a ride of long distance like I do burn 3-5 thousand calories, Just in one ride. In a normal ride for myself of 4 hours with some climbing, I burn 4k. It's after words that you feel like your starving, even during said ride that's when you crave everything.
  • theedgecoach521
    Options

Was a joke, cyclists after a ride of long distance like I do burn 3-5 thousand calories, Just in one ride. In a normal ride for myself of 4 hours with some climbing, I burn 4k. It's after words that you feel like your starving, even during said ride that's when you crave everything.
    Ty for pointing that out, doing of my phone while planning it this afternoons ride of 40.

My auto correct didn't recognize the word I really wanted also, which was supposed to be strava a cycling app.
  • theedgecoach521
    Options
    There are several groups and challenges going. Just search the groups.

I looked ty finally found a few, moat came up with the word cycling as in rotation of , not the actual sport. Ty though think it worked
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

4000 calories in 4 hours. That would mean you are putting out an average power of 277 watts for 4 whole hours. Consider me highly skeptical. You are talking about power levels that pro tour riders maintain for that amount of time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride sometimes (road, mtb, cruising around the neighborhood).

My Strava
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/3937713
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist, and have been since ... oh ... about 1973. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    If you're interested, you might join the Bicycle Challenge (Challenges Forum)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305026/january-2016-bike-bicycle-cycling-challenge#latest
  • theedgecoach521
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

4000 calories in 4 hours. That would mean you are putting out an average power of 277 watts for 4 whole hours. Consider me highly skeptical. You are talking about power levels that pro tour riders maintain for that amount of time.

Glen obviously you seem to know what your talking about, but there are many factors your not considering. Having worked with multiple pros and semi pros and consulted many on the burning of calories you are are correct about some of it, Please note: I have not coached these people that I talked to, they are friends and over the years I have tried to learn as much as possible. I also have the book "Training and racing with a Power Meter" so I am familiar with what your stating. Please know that I do agree with you but here are some areas that your missing, As you know there are multi stages of activities that you run thru while training. During these stages one burns different rates of calories, now know that during this there are factors of weight, in shape, out of shape, vo2, diet, how you work out.
    Like you spoke of how you train can be via a power meter which I do have and do use but do not train by at least not during the dieting preseason.
    But for weight loss I use and get vo2 tested every six months and have my Garmin's adjusted to rate my different phases of Cardio training. IE: Normal rate, Aerobic, metabolic, and anaerobic thresholds. Well as you prob know that each level of HR training provides the most at a certain level. and a MTH, is where I train during my preseason this is when and the level of HR that I stay between to burn the most calories.
    IE:
    Normal rate is 63 to 77
    aerobic- IE warming up 78 to 119
    Meta- 119 to 143-
    AT- obviously above 143.
    Now know though my levels change as the better in shape I get.
    This can be proven via numbers I have on Strava and Garmin. When I am riding I almost always average over long distance a HR of 154, Though when I am climbing ( which is my worst ) I average about 166. During this time I can monitor and see my a calories click off via Garmin-(910 along with a G-500), Because I am going metabolic I keep my HR between 140 to 150 during this time my calories burned are higher. Now for some reason when I elevate my HR above 155 my Calories burned slow down, From what I am told is because now I am going into Cardio training. Now I am not a scientist I am only going off what I have learned been taught and thru some culinary background. I have spoken to several nutritionists, Via Training Peaks, Generation Ucan, and The main Coach For Ironman- Lifetime- Troy Jacobson. Please know I am not saying right or wrong only what I have seen thru clients and other athletes that train by HR.
    I have been told it basically boils down to everybody burns differently, I also know this that, when I go back thru my Strava and Garmin accounts I average almost a 1k calories burned and hour when I keep my HR in my meta burning phase. I do not need to have massive amounts of power as you state to burn this.
    Think this way as most trainers state the elevation of the heart rate above normal for 20 minutes burns more calories over that period of time then most people burn all day that remain in a non-elevated state. I hope this cleared some up. I do apologize if confusing but also know I know you are correct but that you understand where I am coming from also. TY for you input
  • LargeFoot
    LargeFoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ride
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Odd, why are you using HR when you have a power meter? It measures the work done and it's basic physics (definition of the unit of measurement) on the conversion. An average of 277 watts is roughly 1,000 Calories at 25% efficiency. 25% efficiency is also the upper range and reflect conditioning of elite athletes. HR doesn't hold up especially when you are talking about 4+ hours of activity (drift). It's indirect at ideal conditions. HR has some use but for determining work done and hence energy expended, it's garbage when one has a power meter. You can use it for... I ditched mine after a week of picking up a PM. I'm sentimental that way. So...

Now how the body produces that 1,000 Calories is another matter. But while cycling 1,000 Calories per hour is roughly 277 watts @ 25% efficiency. Four hours at that intensity is pretty impressive. Actually very.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I estimate my calorie burn at 100 calories for every 5 kilometres. That seems to work well for me in my calculations of how much fuel I need to get through a long ride. :)
  • glevinso
    Options

Glen obviously you seem to know what your talking about, but there are many factors your not considering. Having worked with multiple pros and semi pros and consulted many on the burning of calories you are are correct about some of it, Please note: I have not coached these people that I talked to, they are friends and over the years I have tried to learn as much as possible. I also have the book "Training and racing with a Power Meter" so I am familiar with what your stating. Please know that I do agree with you but here are some areas that your missing, As you know there are multi stages of activities that you run thru while training. During these stages one burns different rates of calories, now know that during this there are factors of weight, in shape, out of shape, vo2, diet, how you work out.
    Like you spoke of how you train can be via a power meter which I do have and do use but do not train by at least not during the dieting preseason.
    But for weight loss I use and get vo2 tested every six months and have my Garmin's adjusted to rate my different phases of Cardio training. IE: Normal rate, Aerobic, metabolic, and anaerobic thresholds. Well as you prob know that each level of HR training provides the most at a certain level. and a MTH, is where I train during my preseason this is when and the level of HR that I stay between to burn the most calories.
    IE:
    Normal rate is 63 to 77
    aerobic- IE warming up 78 to 119
    Meta- 119 to 143-
    AT- obviously above 143.
    Now know though my levels change as the better in shape I get.
    This can be proven via numbers I have on Strava and Garmin. When I am riding I almost always average over long distance a HR of 154, Though when I am climbing ( which is my worst ) I average about 166. During this time I can monitor and see my a calories click off via Garmin-(910 along with a G-500), Because I am going metabolic I keep my HR between 140 to 150 during this time my calories burned are higher. Now for some reason when I elevate my HR above 155 my Calories burned slow down, From what I am told is because now I am going into Cardio training. Now I am not a scientist I am only going off what I have learned been taught and thru some culinary background. I have spoken to several nutritionists, Via Training Peaks, Generation Ucan, and The main Coach For Ironman- Lifetime- Troy Jacobson. Please know I am not saying right or wrong only what I have seen thru clients and other athletes that train by HR.
    I have been told it basically boils down to everybody burns differently, I also know this that, when I go back thru my Strava and Garmin accounts I average almost a 1k calories burned and hour when I keep my HR in my meta burning phase. I do not need to have massive amounts of power as you state to burn this.
    Think this way as most trainers state the elevation of the heart rate above normal for 20 minutes burns more calories over that period of time then most people burn all day that remain in a non-elevated state. I hope this cleared some up. I do apologize if confusing but also know I know you are correct but that you understand where I am coming from also. TY for you input

You are forgetting the simple physics of it. 4k calories in 4 hours is 277 watts sustained for 4 hours. It doesn't make any difference what your heart rate is, what "zone" you are in, what hills you climb, etc.

Your heart rate can only approximate caloric expenditure. Your power meter is ABSOLUTE. You are claiming to put down pro-tour-rider power levels. Now, honestly it doesn't make a bit of difference to me, but if you are attempting to lose weight by generating a caloric deficit on the bike, a difference of 20% can make or break any deficit.

Strava, Garmin, Training Peaks, etc are only guessing if you are using heart rate. You can go through all the testing you want, but it is still an approximation. What you cannot argue, though, is power applied to the pedals is a direct translation of metabolic expenditure.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Odd, why are you using HR when you have a power meter? It measures the work done and it's basic physics (definition of the unit of measurement) on the conversion. An average of 277 watts is roughly 1,000 Calories at 25% efficiency. 25% efficiency is also the upper range and reflect conditioning of elite athletes. HR doesn't hold up especially when you are talking about 4+ hours of activity (drift). It's indirect at ideal conditions. HR has some use but for determining work done and hence energy expended, it's garbage when one has a power meter. You can use it for... I ditched mine after a week of picking up a PM. I'm sentimental that way. So...

Now how the body produces that 1,000 Calories is another matter. But while cycling 1,000 Calories per hour is roughly 277 watts @ 25% efficiency. Four hours at that intensity is pretty impressive. Actually very.

This^
  • glevinso
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »

Yup. I still wear my HRM for all cycling and running. I never use it for pacing, or even look at it during a session. It is more for post-activity analysis to determine how I am feeling based on perceived effort (feel, HR) vs actual effort (power).

Just for reference I do my Ironman rides at ~200 watts, which usually nets me a 20-21mph average over 112 miles (so around 5-5.5 hrs). My measured Lactate Threshold is 280 watts. (I guess I should add that I am a fairly small guy at 5'7" 147lbs). If I didn't have to run a marathon after the ride (just doing a 112 mi time trial), I would probably attempt to sustain a little closer to my subLT range around 240 watts. It has taken me YEARS to build up to this level of ability.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Nice. I still keep track of my resting HR but PM for everything else. Haven't tested since last September but I think my FTP is at 260ish. Screw up the zero reset the last century on the 9th so it a stab; rest of the time been indoors. The best from last year was an average of 162w, 202w NP, & IF of 0.812 over 120.3 miles with FTP at 250 and s#@&ing a lot of wheels. The four rest breaks, one hour total duration, helped a lot. Hate running and sink like a rock.

One inch taller, 15 pounds heavier, and bad Cd = ~220-230w at 20-21 mph (one hour max). Was off the bike for 23 years but raced during college. Was a bit surprised reaching this level after only one year back on but expects a long slog ahead to regain my racing fitness (just don't want to be dropped on every group ride and per chance inflict some pain :smile: ).
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options

If you use strava's estimation of efficiency, and take 4 hours to be "somewhere in the 4 hour range", that could easily be a 200-240w average ride, which is very reasonable. 280w for 4 hours would be pretty damn good under most circumstances, but for all we know the guy could be 6'8" and 100kg, making that a pretty ordinary output.

Now if he is using HR to get his calorie data...well obviously that can be ALL over the map. Probably not even that much better than trying to calculate calories burned from average speed over a duration (unless it's all a decently sheltered climb, then it works okay to use speed)
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Done 5 hours controlled at 220w without much trouble, pushing it probably would be somewhere between 240-260w, so 4k calories in 4 hours would be possible but only in a idealized steady state, extremely taxing ride. A mountainous ride would actually decrease my odds of doing this, as you just lose too much to zero watt coasting to make back up climbing.

In my case FTP right now is somewhere between 295-300w, pretty happy with that as a fairly small guy (5'8" 65kg, looking for 60kg) at 7000' that's been riding for about a year and a half now.