Calories Earned with Exercise - What do you do?

Options
13»

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I eat back but only 50% due to the regular advice given that MFP overestimates the burns. So if I've eaten 1500 cals and burned 500 in exercise (according to MFP) to get a net cal total of 1000 ... really it's a net of 1250 cals. If that makes sense? ^^
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I ignore exercise calories. I know my TDEE and deficit so I just stay in that range. Gives me over 1600cals and a loss of a little over 1lb per week. On the days I lift I will eat a little over if I am hungry or for post workout protein. I have a Fitbit HR that I just got so I'm in watch and see mode ATM with calories earned.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ssmshastry wrote: »
    Will it accelerate weight loss if I do not eat those calories back? I am wondering

Yes, but that can lead to more muscle loss with too high a deficit
  • ssmshastry
    ssmshastry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you malibu927.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    No, I don't eat them all unless I am hungry or if I go out to eat and I want to enjoy something special. I always leave daily calories as a buffer for the weekends.

MFP is not accurate, neither are the machines at the gym, and I read that fitness trackers are not 100% accurate either; and on top of that we are not 100% bullet proof with the measuring and/or weighing of our food. So as long as I eat above my BMI and as long as I have enough calories and nutrients in my body to fuel my life and workouts I am good to go.

Just do what is best for you. Try and learn.

Correction because I just realized that I made a mistake. "As long as I eat above my BMR" (NOT BMI). Sorry about that.