Is my addiction to diet soda keeping the scale from moving?

Options
2»

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It may not be the diet soda directly BUT... it could be a) you aren't drinking enough water and B) the aspartame in diet soda is making your brain thing it's consuming sugar but it's not getting the sugar high it expects, which causes sugar cravings. Do you find yourself eating sweets or LOTS of fruit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's not an addiction...it's a habit. Calling it an addiction is an insult to crack heads everywhere. And no...it's not the diet soda...it's your caloric intake...you are either underestimating intake and/or overestimating burn.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would consider it an addiction, just not a severe one. Caffeine is a drug and most diet sodas have TONS of it. When I go a day without caffeine, I get headaches, shaky, can't concentrate....Once, after a few days without caffeine, I started hallucinating. Cats everywhere!!!

I wouldn't stop diet soda cold turkey, but you should cut it out. Try substituting one diet soda with a flavoured water every day. And gradually wean yourself off.

It's definitely not the only reason the scale isn't moving though. UNLESS it is causing you to eat a lot of sugar. Every time you lose a bit of weight, you should reevaluate your caloric needs. And, if you're continuing the same workout after 12 weeks, you'll plateau. You probably need to change or intensify your workouts.