Buy one get one free meat

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
never again...
I don't make a lot of money, so I though yay! a deal on meat. Parts of it turned to paste when I cooked it.

So now I am loath to throw away meat but I am also thinking about if it would be better to throw up.

Lentils and eggs. I am going to go back to lentils and eggs until I can afford proper meat that doesn't turn into paste when you cook it.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i buy meats on sale every week.

i freeze what im not going to use that day.

ive NEVER had an issue. other than sometimes leaving it in the freezer for WAY too long and having to toss it ;)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    i buy meats on sale every week.

i freeze what im not going to use that day.

ive NEVER had an issue. other than sometimes leaving it in the freezer for WAY too long and having to toss it ;)

Same, I always watch the sales. Usually at least once every 2 or 3 weeks, some grocery store will have a sale on boneless skinless chicken breast for around $1.70 a lb, and that's when I stock up and freeze them.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? I'm sure he'd like it! ;)

My boyfriend gets on me and calls me the discount meat queen, lol. I'm always buying the meat that's about to expire and freezing it. Chest freezer was an awesome investment, I got steaks for $3, pork chops all the time, and last week I got 3 bags of chicken breasts $5 off each. I paid like $2.50 each for them. I've never had a problem with any of the meat as long as it's a whole piece. Ground anything doesn't seem to work as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Be wary of the BOGO... A local store had chicken breasts on sale, but it's like $8 a pound, so even at BOGO it's still way more expensive than other stores...

Otherwise, I buy meat on sale all the time.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah I bought it with the intention of freezing it (which I did) but when i cooked it....it just disintegrated. This was steak at about $12/pound so I was excited because I don't get red meat a lot. Maybe I just got really unlucky.

No dog, and even if I did I wouldn't feed it to him.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Be wary of the BOGO... A local store had chicken breasts on sale, but it's like $8 a pound, so even at BOGO it's still way more expensive than other stores...

Otherwise, I buy meat on sale all the time.

I watched a person pay over 4x the cost for farm raised salmon as the wild salmon next to it. She got half "free" so it was only twice as expensive for a lesser fish.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Something is missing here. $12/lb? BOGO? If its BOGO it seems unlikely it was $12/lb.

Turns to paste? What exactly was this, and what did you do to it to turn it to "paste"?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Yeah I bought it with the intention of freezing it (which I did) but when i cooked it....it just disintegrated. This was steak at about $12/pound so I was excited because I don't get red meat a lot. Maybe I just got really unlucky.

No dog, and even if I did I wouldn't feed it to him.

I save my supermarket receipts so when I have quality issues I can get a refund.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    never again...
    I don't make a lot of money, so I though yay! a deal on meat. Parts of it turned to paste when I cooked it.

So now I am loath to throw away meat but I am also thinking about if it would be better to throw up.

Lentils and eggs. I am going to go back to lentils and eggs until I can afford proper meat that doesn't turn into paste when you cook it.

Go to your local butcher shop and invest in a good locker pack ;-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Something is missing here. $12/lb? BOGO? If its BOGO it seems unlikely it was $12/lb.

Turns to paste? What exactly was this, and what did you do to it to turn it to "paste"?

One of the stores I go to pretty much always has steaks BOGO free at $12.99 a pound. That's actually where I buy it because it's cheaper than other places, and the steaks taste better too. And often they have some with a $2 off sticker on too because they are close to the sell by date.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Almost all the meat that I buy is on sale in some manner. Just because it was bogo does not mean that is the reason it was bad.

You bought steak that turned to paste when you cooked it? Sorry but I really just don't understand. Was it possibly chop steak or some other type of steak that is actually ground beef?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not sure about the 'turn to paste'- how did you cook it? Bad meat is dark in color and smells bad. A bad cut of meat can have a lot of fat in it that 'marbles out' when cooked, leaving a mushy texture if it's not cooked right.

I hit meat sales all the time and have never had a problem. Sometimes Lucky's will try to hide some older meat in the sales packs, so you have to watch for darkening, but it's usually easy to spot.