Serving Sizes for Fruit and Vegetables

Options
ChristieisReady
ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Since I'm always wondering what a "serving size" of a vegetable actually is, I went and looked it up. And made a chart. And am sharing it here. Obviously, a serving size of apple is 1 apple, but what about apricots (it's 3). If you're ever in doubt, it looks like "1 cup" is a good rule of thumb, but here's the exact servings and their calorie contents. (Ok, not EXACT. Just, you know, more accurate.)

**note: this is for RAW produce unless otherwise noted, in which case it's STEAMED. Roasting, sauteeing, etc. add their own nutritional spin, so this is just the plants.8388jeabklei.jpg

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    These are good "rules of thumb" but they are loose.

For example a serving of apple is one medium apple. If the apple is large it could be more than one serving, if small it could be less than one. Medium can be pretty subjective if you are counting calories.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Medium can be pretty subjective if you are counting calories.
    Well, there's about a 15 calorie difference in between apple sizes. So, unless you are eating a LOT of apples, the delta isn't really a meaningful difference. You know when you're eating a medium apple (say, a pink lady) vs an extra small (like a crab apple). If you NEED to the gram measurements, well, then you'll need to use a scale and calculate to the gram. But for lifestyle use, a loose guideline is perfect. Having been counting calories on and off for 5 years, I can tell you that micromanaging 15 calories will make you crazy, and may cause stress eating.

Been there, done that.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Medium can be pretty subjective if you are counting calories.
    Well, there's about a 15 calorie difference in between apple sizes. So, unless you are eating a LOT of apples, the delta isn't really a meaningful difference. You know when you're eating a medium apple (say, a pink lady) vs an extra small (like a crab apple). If you NEED to the gram measurements, well, then you'll need to use a scale and calculate to the gram. But for lifestyle use, a loose guideline is perfect. Having been counting calories on and off for 5 years, I can tell you that micromanaging 15 calories will make you crazy, and may cause stress eating.

Been there, done that.

Which is about the same thing I just said (minus the personal stress eating problem). It is a good rule of thumb guide.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You cant measure accurately with cups... I dont like it lol, it should be by weight
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I've become so accustomed to weighing in grams. And I like to track fiber and carbs and sugar that they contain, so I weigh on a scale.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    To me, the only reason I look at the serving size is to calculate how many calories my portion has.

My portion is how much I feel like eating right now. That may be 2 servings or it may be 2/3s of a serving.

That's one reason why I love my food scale. I can eat exactly the amount I want to eat no matter what the government or manufacturer has chosen for their arbitrary serving size.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    To me, the only reason I look at the serving size is to calculate how many calories my portion has.

My portion is how much I feel like eating right now. That may be 2 servings or it may be 2/3s of a serving.

That's one reason why I love my food scale. I can eat exactly the amount I want to eat no matter what the government or manufacturer has chosen for their arbitrary serving size.

I feel the same. Serving size just gives calories based on a particular weight. I have never thought of them as a recommended serving to eat.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I try to be accurate with everything I eat. Yes, even fruit.
    Maybe a 15 calorie difference isn't a big deal, but say you eat 3 pieces of fruit a day, and you're under by 15 cals each, making that 45 calories per day, or 315 per week. It adds up quickly. Then you may be posting on the forums, "why am I not losing???" Or "I'm not losing enough but I'm doing everything right!!!"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sigh at cup units again...
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't weigh my food. I do know what a cup looks like. You have a WHOLE DATABASE on here for food by the gram. This is a quick takeaway for me to know that I'm getting at least 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I thought it might be useful to someone else.

I'm not saying this is all you need or that this tool is for everybody. I made it, it's useful to me, I'm sharing it.

If you're checking this out and pausing to say "I don't like what you've made here. It's accurate, but it's not exact and it's not what I want to use", well, this is why your friends don't like you.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    I had spent months weighing veggies, as I had a goal to eat 1lb of them daily. This was 150g at each of 3 meals, or some partition of 484g veggies. I can eyeball a "serving" of 150g pretty easily now, whether it's chopped greens, or a bowl of steamed squash and broccoli.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this chart! It's a great quick guideline! Personally, I usually eat 1-2 cups of veggies 1-2 times per day, totaling about 3-4 cups a day. My daily smoothies almost always have 1 cup of baby spinach in them! Every flavor except strawberry, the colors don't blend very well. LOL!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I don't weigh my food. I do know what a cup looks like. You have a WHOLE DATABASE on here for food by the gram. This is a quick takeaway for me to know that I'm getting at least 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I thought it might be useful to someone else.

I'm not saying this is all you need or that this tool is for everybody. I made it, it's useful to me, I'm sharing it.

If you're checking this out and pausing to say "I don't like what you've made here. It's accurate, but it's not exact and it's not what I want to use", well, this is why your friends don't like you.

Well it wasn't directed at you but at the author of the chart, but whatever...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Well it wasn't directed at you but at the author of the chart, but whatever...

Actually, she is the author of the chart...
    Since I'm always wondering what a "serving size" of a vegetable actually is, I went and looked it up. And made a chart. And am sharing it here.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making the chart. Its nice to have a guide for times when I'm away from my scale!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can't stand arbitrary serving sizes and cup as a measurement (sorry, op, no offence, they are good as guidelines, but we have to adjust for real life, right?). I try to be pragmatic. So I'm doing a mix of weighing and counting, it's close enough for maintanance, at least, and I value consistency over accuracy here. I aim to have vegetables for every meal and eat three different fruits every day.

For breakfast, lunch and supper, I divide vegetables into portions of as near 80 grams as possible. For dinner, as a side, 100 grams of peas or green beans, or around 120 grams of Brussel sprouts. These are frozen, so it's possible to portion like that. Roasted parsnip, I'll use one large. Artichoke, one large or two small. Salad greens, I fill a small bowl. Potatoes, I weigh before peeling, and select to 2-4 to get as close to 300 grams as possible. Sweet potato, I use one small, or split one large for two dinners. If I'm making a soup/casserole, I have to decide what will spoil after "opening" so that I either use all of it at once, or plan to use it in another dish, unless it can be eaten raw during the next few days.

When I buy fruit, I try to find items that have a nice size, but it's not always possible. I will eat one whole peach, pear, banana or apple, one or two passion fruits, tangerines or plums, two apricots, 6-8 litchis, one or a half orange. I portion out grapes, melons and pomegranate by weight divided by days before they spoil, pineapple by chunks, pomelo by sections. I also slice and freeze bananas for smoothies, and use 100 grams with 80 grams of strawberries or blueberries, also frozen.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    On "accuracy".... you DO realize that fruit can vary calorically from harvest, to harvest, right? Like, they're not IDENTICAL so you are never going to have absolutely accurate measurements unless you test the caloric values of everything you eat (and I promise no one in the world has time for that). It's a delta of 1-2 calories, but if you need every. single. calorie. - that's not happening. Ever.

So... remember that this isn't a lab experiment. You're not eating in a vacuum. Be a little flexible, it's good for you.

And, yes, as Alatariel75 noted, I *am* the author.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great tool for the tool box. Thanks for your time!

\m/
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    Thank you for making the chart. Its nice to have a guide for times when I'm away from my scale!

This! :)
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Disappointed at all the negative comments on this feed. That was really nice of you to share! <3