Cheat day

Options
I had a planned cheat day scheduled yesterday. My wife and I had a short date planned for that afternoon. We went to one of the local Italian bistros in town for our lunch. I went in fully intending on having one of the fresh brick oven pizzas. However, when I scanned the menu I read "bistro burger" under the sandwich portion. I changed my order to try this. It was a double meat cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and a pickle. I thought this was the best meal I had ever had. Of course, it could have just been my body remembering what sinfully good food tastes like. A campaign for me to vote for it to go back to heart attack bordering good food. Has anyone else experienced that euphoric feeling on a cheat day/meal?

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've just posted about this, yes! Chocolate, roast potatoes, cream and butter all taste better than they did when I ate them all of the time.

I used to eat a lot of rubbish alone or wolf it at my desk, and I enjoy food more if I've taken time out to sit and eat properly with someone. Perhaps it's not a sign that you want to go back to the way you used to ate, it's just that fat tastes good, especially when it's in a well cooked meal (rather than a packet of instant noodles).

I try not to think of any food as a 'treat' or conversely, something to feel guilty about.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the "cheat" food brings euphoria. It's like I can FEEL a switch in my brain flip as I bite into and chew the high calorie item, especially if it is greasy. Unfortunately, I usually get a stomach ache later if I eat what I used to consider a "normal" amount. I have learned to be satisfied with just a few bites.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I had a small pizza from Dominos a couple of weeks ago with low fat cheese, olives and and spinach, but it still gave me heartburn and a stomach ache for several hours.

But I especially find this with the amount of food. I still go to the chip shop (obviously I'm British) and I can't finish a pudding and small chips. I used to get a large chips, pudding, peas, gravy, potato fritter, a can of Coke and often eat white bread and butter with it :embarassed:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Saturday is normally my cheat day but I tend to have little treats over the space of a week as long as it fits into my calorie budget.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced that euphoric feeling on a cheat day/meal?

Yes!!!

But then the guilt becomes overpowering.

I 'want" to love my high-caloric favorites less, and start a "new affair" with fresh vegetables, etc., but the mojo is all wrong when I'm basking in the afterglow.

Unfortunately, I end up doing the walk of shame...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I just try to avoid feeling bad about what I eat. Until last year, I had been in a diet-binge-diet cycle for many years and worried about what I ate constantly.

Now, if I have a bad day, I move on to tomorrow without thinking I must get back 'on track'. In the past, I would carry on eating and I'd think 'I'll start again next week' and then proceed to have a blow out in preparation for the lettuce weeks.

It took a long time for me to get to a UK size 24 and it will take almost as long to lose the weight, I simply can't avoid roast potatoes or cheese for that long!

I exercise 5 times a week, I don't eat very much meat and now dislike white rice/pasta/bread. So I figure the odd bit of baked camembert won't kill me and I find dark chocolate and a banana the best pick me up in the afternoon at work (though I buy individual small bars as I'm still not capable of eating just a small bit if there is a lot there :( )
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just try to avoid feeling bad about what I eat. Until last year, I had been in a diet-binge-diet cycle for many years and worried about what I ate constantly.

Now, if I have a bad day, I move on to tomorrow without thinking I must get back 'on track'. In the past, I would carry on eating and I'd think 'I'll start again next week' and then proceed to have a blow out in preparation for the lettuce weeks.

It took a long time for me to get to a UK size 24 and it will take almost as long to lose the weight, I simply can't avoid roast potatoes or cheese for that long!

I exercise 5 times a week, I don't eat very much meat and now dislike white rice/pasta/bread. So I figure the odd bit of baked camembert won't kill me and I find dark chocolate and a banana the best pick me up in the afternoon at work (though I buy individual small bars as I'm still not capable of eating just a small bit if there is a lot there :( )

^^ This for sure. I don't call it a "cheat" day...because cheat=guilty...I call it a "spike" day. I can't avoid certain foods forever (and don't want to!), so I figured out how to fit them in my plan.
    Wishing everyone great success!
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thursday is my 'non diet day' ( as it's the start of the weekend here). I can't bring myself to call it a cheat day lol.
    Having said that, last week, despite telling myself all day I can eat what I like, I went for dinner, ate a club sandwich with salad, no fries and only had 2 small glasses of wine, was still under my calorie goal.
    I think it's good to have days where you eat what you want, every diet I've done where I've deprived myself of food that is really bad for me ends up with making me feel miserable and irritable, so I think a non diet day once a week/fortnight/month, whatever works for you, is good.