Bmi and how you choose your goal weight!

Do you guys choose your goal weight based on what your bmi says or base it on a place you were and want to get back to how do you choose your goal weight?

Replies

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I just picked a number that sounds good. I'm not super attached to a certain number but was required to put something in ;)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited January 2016
    I chose my goal weight with BMI, I'm 5'5" so I chose 140 has something squarely in the healthy range, but with a little wiggle room before getting to overweight. I'm at 220 or so right now. I'm flexible with my goal, when I was 17 I was 160 and rather happy with my body then, so it depends on how I feel and if I can get off of my blood pressure and diabetes drugs. (I've already dropped 80lbs and one blood pressure med!)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Don't choose a goal weight. Instead choose a percent of Body Fat Goal. Whenever you reach it, that is your goal weight, and you have achieved it!! :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I chose mine based on the healthy range of my height/BMI.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Don't trust myself to know what healthy looks like. So smack dab in the middle of BMI range at 22.something. Although it seems I am large frame so top of range would be better for me but it is too close to "overweight" for my comfort.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I chose my initial goal according to BMI. Specifically, my initial goal was the top number of the healthy range, per BMI, for my height.

My goal now is based on how many pounds I think it will take me losing in order to be rid of specific fatty areas.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    I wanted to get my bmi out of obese and into the healthy range. At first I randomly picked 145 as my goal because I think I look good at that weight. But after looking at the bmi charts the weight range for my height is 110 - 148. I decided that 145 was too close to 148 so I changed my goal to 135. My thinking is that as long as I'm between 135-142 then I will be ok with that number and if I start going above that I will go back to a deficit until I am back in my goal range. So far I am down 24 with 36 to go.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Initially it was just getting into a normal BMI range, for my stats. Achieved that. Over the moon! My goal now is reaching my happiest and most healthiest weight that I remember, assessing along the way in case that "happiest and healthiest" happens to be a number that I meet and greet on the way. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I was 135 in college and I would love to get back to that weight.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    My goal is around 140, which is the top of my healthy BMI. However, since it is at the very top, it makes me a bit nervous, so I may go down to 135. Or get to 135 then gain 5lb of muscle. I'm actually pretty happy with how I look right now with clothes on. Without clothes, however, is not a happy sight
  • kiran61012
    kiran61012 Posts: 22 Member
    I chose a mini goal of 10 stone and now that I have reached that I have a new goal
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I chose 60kg because then I'd have a BMI of just over 22. I think it's a bit low, but I want to have babies at some stage so I'd rather have them at a lower weight than at my current weight.
  • I sat with a registered dietician and she asked me when I felt healthy. That was at 160 and I wasn't stick thin then so I set my goal at between 150-155
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    i chose 130 cos thats where i used to be when i fit into my size 5 jeans.
    once i get there, ill keep going.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I chose according to BMI and what sounded good in my head. But as I've always been overweight or obese as an adult, I don't really know what will be right until I'm nearer my target. If I feel good with how I look at a higher than anticipated weight, great. If I get to the goal weight and want to lose more, then so be it. I think it's better to not stick to a number rigidly, but reevaluate when close to goal.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I'm 5'1, so I looked at what a healthy weight was for that and chose the higher range b/c being in the 90s-110s holds no appeal to me. I'd rather be in the mid to high 120s, so around 125-128. I'm also going by how I look. I don't want to lose so much weight that my head looks too big for my body.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    My heaviest point was at the top of "healthy" BMI and I looked visibly overweight, but when I got back to the middle I realized I was still carrying extra, so I went lower. I know I'm small-framed (ribcage/underbust measurement is 27", for example) so going lower makes sense.

I just lost until I started feeling less good around BMI 19 (cold, tired, periods getting messed up) and went up a bit from there. Trial and error seemed like the easiest way to figure it out, because if you go too low you can put it on again, you know?
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    I was 160-ish when my daughter was conceived. I chose 170 because I don't want to be too ambitious and I think that is a weight appropriate for my new lifestyle. However, my BMI numbers say I should be 159 or below, so I will probably keep going once I reach my initial goal.
  • AnkeH82
    AnkeH82 Posts: 10 Member
    I ignore the bmi, mine is currently around 22, but that's because I'm very small framed and carry all the weight in my belly. I just go by the weight I felt best at which leaves my bmi around 18.5-19.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    My initial goal is a number I havent been for over 10years. Its below where I usually give up as I really want to get past that point. Yes I probably need to lose another 10 kgs after that to get back to my healthy BMI but realistically if I can get to that first goal and stay there for a while I'll still be so much better off than I am now.