Running Technology Suggestions?

Options
The bad news, I need a new watch. The good news, I get to get a new watch! Interested in running watches that track mileage, time,calories,and import to a system that will graph all of these things (along with other work outs). Does such a thing exist (for less than Garmin $$$)?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How much less that Garmin? Polar and Nike make similar watches but the cost is about the same.

Do you have a smart phone? There are many apps that will track everything you want.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do use my phone, but just wondered what other toys are out there, :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Look at dcrainmaker for reviews.

Personally I'd go Garmin. At the top end Garmin and Suunto are generally competing for top spot. Lower down the range it's generally Garmin.

Polar HR monitoring is good but their GPS is a bit mediocre. Fitbit GPS is dreadful. MIO is reasonable but nothing special.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I export my data to Strava for analysis
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I was using my Endomondo on my Android phone, Polar H7 HRM, Pebble watch, and BT earbuds. I used this combo for about a year then I replaced the whole mess with a Garmin Forerunner 630 (and HRM-4 strap). I was tired of keeping everything working together. The Forerunner "just works".

The 630 is on the higher end of the Garmin line and is not necessary unless you are a stats geek like me. The new 230 or 235 has almost all the features and they are not 'too expensive". IMO, it is worth the cost.

I may have to give Strava a try one of these days...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have a fit bit but use my phone to track my miles and speed/pace. It is also my music source with headphones on. Nice because I get to hear verbal stats on miles and pace. I did get a heart rate monitor (chest type) and it worked really well. It also reported and sync with Runtastic app. It is kind of a pain to put on so if a watch model worked well I may be interested but I don't really need a on the wrist GPS.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of options out there for all sorts of prices. i saw a garmin for 78, and one for 600. there are ironman watches that might serve you well. the apple watch thing.
    it really depends on what you are looking for
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Personally I'd go Garmin. At the top end Garmin and Suunto are generally competing for top spot. Lower down the range it's generally Garmin.

Polar HR monitoring is good but their GPS is a bit mediocre. Fitbit GPS is dreadful. MIO is reasonable but nothing special.

Agreed.

I've had better luck with Suunto in terms of reliability, but Garmin seems to be a bit better connected/integrated via Garmin Connect.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What's too expensive?

But to answer your question: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

What do you want to track? Time/speed/distance? A Garmin Forerunner 10 or a TomTom Runner fits the bill, they are $90.
    Want T/S/D + HR? Got to go up to the Forerunner 220/230/235, $175-$330. Or a TomTom for $120. Or a Polar M400 for $130.
    Want T/S/D/HR AND music? TomTom makes a watch that'll do it, $200-250. Yes, it's a watch with music on board that'll transmit to BT headphones.
    Want T/S/D/HR and VO2Max? Forerunner 230/235/620/630.
    If you want to make custom workouts - i.e. lets say 5:00 warmup at Z2 + 2 x (200m + rest + 400m + rest + 600m + rest + 800m + rest + 600m + rest + 400m + rest + 200m) - you need a garmin FR 220/230/235/620/630. None of the competitors will make fancy workouts like that.

Years ago, I survived on a $25 Timex watch and either google maps or a car odometer from the mid 90s till I bought a forerunner 405 in 2010. Put that in a spreadsheet.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    If you want to make custom workouts - i.e. lets say 5:00 warmup at Z2 + 2 x (200m + rest + 400m + rest + 600m + rest + 800m + rest + 600m + rest + 400m + rest + 200m) - you need a garmin FR 220/230/235/620/630. None of the competitors will make fancy workouts like that.

You can also create custom workouts in Polar flow and sync to either the M400 or V800. here is a link to one I made.

https://flow.polar.com/training/target/5821896
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Personally I export my data to Strava for analysis

I'm happy with my Fitbit Charge HR and sharing the data with Strava.

Thinking of signing up for premium with Strava to get running plans and set goals.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If Craigslist covers your area, look there for a used Garmin. I bought a Forerunner 305 for $40 and today am going to meet someone to buy a Forerunner 220 for $75. Prices fluctuate quite a bit but if you check every few days you'll get a sense when something is priced well and when it's a ripoff. I've been watching for 220's and have seen them anywhere from $75 to $200.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That is a really good idea!
  • rlovell456
    rlovell456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you want to spend but Garmin is phasing out the Forerunner 225 and there are new ones out there for under $200.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made a list of what I wanted in a watch. For me, I wanted GPS so I could share to my husband when I'm out running, the ability to see my text and incoming phone calls, controlling my music, seeing splits, and knowing when I have sat for too long during the day. For me, that meant spending some major bucks on a Garmin Vivoactive. I just got it last week, and I really like it. It was worth the cost for me. So, I would go through and make your list of what you are looking for first before shopping.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin 230. That said I just got the hubby the new garmin 25. It tracks steps and you are able to get text messages on the watch. So far he is pretty happy with it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    This is making me want to dig out my old Garmin Forerunner 205 and see if it still works. Used to love that thing.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    What's too expensive?

But to answer your question: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

What do you want to track? Time/speed/distance? A Garmin Forerunner 10 or a TomTom Runner fits the bill, they are $90.
    Want T/S/D + HR? Got to go up to the Forerunner 220/230/235, $175-$330. Or a TomTom for $120. Or a Polar M400 for $130.
    Want T/S/D/HR AND music? TomTom makes a watch that'll do it, $200-250. Yes, it's a watch with music on board that'll transmit to BT headphones.
    Want T/S/D/HR and VO2Max? Forerunner 230/235/620/630.

Years ago, I survived on a $25 Timex watch and either google maps or a car odometer from the mid 90s till I bought a forerunner 405 in 2010. Put that in a spreadsheet.

Yes!! I remember driving my car using the trip feature to measure my distance!! I was a poor college kid doing that up until 2009 when Nike+ hit the scene. It's only gotten better from there.