TACOS AND PIZZA

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love both. I eat both. I still lose or gain while eating both. And they are both are quite healthy. I'm magic. Or it's calories in calories out. Believe what you want.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I ate both tacos and pizza and have reached my goal weight while eating those things. You have to make them fit your calorie goals.Life's too short not eat pizza and tacos.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Mmm I crave those everyday
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This thread 'delivers.'
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I ate both tacos and pizza and have reached my goal weight while eating those things. You have to make them fit your calorie goals.Life's too short not eat pizza and tacos.

How rude....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

How rude....

That's the way I roll!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This thread made me so hungry I made a taco for supper tonight, and since I was cooking, I figured I should make one for lunch tomorrow. I didn't have everything I would have ideally wanted, so I had to use a tortilla wrap instead of a hard shell, which I prefer, and I didn't have any lettuce, so it was just beef, tomato, salsa and cheese, but with that wrap! I could stuff a whole lot in there. So full now.

Great thread, OP! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I'm not sure what you are considering unhealthy with pizza and tacos, maybe someone will have some more suggestions that you find appealing. Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Am I the only one who went straight to taco pizza?

When I was in middle school home ec we made Tortilla Pizzas. Flour tortilla, bake for 5 min till crispy, then add taco sauce, taco meat, pepperoni and mozzerella cheese. Bake another 5-10 min to melt the chEese. So delicious, I made them several times a week for my after school snack!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Buy one or two slices of pizza somewhere. If you want it that much, it's not that hard to fit a couple slices.

For tacos, I don't see the problem, honestly, they are usually pretty low calorie.

You sound rather rude to be honest. I didn't ask what I could do to fit it into my calorie goal.... Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one! I was asking for HEALTHIER versions of both foods, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they may currently be.

If we don't know how you currently make your tacos and pizza, how could we possibly offer you healthier versions? Also, what constitutes healthy in this case? Low cal?
  • jnewheiser
    jnewheiser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's easy to make low cal tacos - corn tortillas, steamed chicken, lots of spices, avocado, low fat sour cream, salsa, etc etc.
    I haven't yet figured out how to get pizza for low calories that I actually want to eat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well the subject line says it all! I'm dying for pizza and tacos. I'd like to try some healthy variations, anyone got some tried and true recipes?!

The subject line doesn't say it all. What are your goals when you say healthier? Do you mean lower calorie or actually increasing nutrients? What kind of pizza or tacos are you trying to make healthier?

Put more vegetables on them. I like spinach on pizza and tacos.
    Have a thinner crust pizza with less meat or cheese to cut calories.
    I like chicken, onion, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, olives, mozzarella and feta cheese with red pepper flakes on pizza.
    Have a taco salad.
    Mix your taco meat with beans or lentils or just replace the meat with beans or lentils to increase fiber.
    Watch your portion sizes and eat what you like best.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jnewheiser wrote: »
    It's easy to make low cal tacos - corn tortillas, steamed chicken, lots of spices, avocado, low fat sour cream, salsa, etc etc.
    I haven't yet figured out how to get pizza for low calories that I actually want to eat.

To be fair, she didn't actually ask for low calorie (heck, a single piece of Domino's is low calorie, but that's not what she wants to hear); she wanted healthy substitutions which is rather dependent on how you define healthy. So just say what you like in pizza :smiley:
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    someone shared this recipe with me last year. it is a meat crust pizza. i made it a few times. delish;-)

Cheesy Chicken and Herb Pizza

Crust:
    1 lb ground Chicken or Turkey (or other ground meat)
    1 TB Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt (I actually leave the salt out)
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
    1 egg white

Toppings:
    3/4 cup pizza or tomato sauce
    3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
    Optional Toppings: parmesan cheese and veggies (red onion, green peppers, olives, mushrooms, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick
    cooking spray or use parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the crust of the pizza.

Flatten crust out in a circular shape (or a rectangle) on the prepared baking pan. Crust should be about 1/8 inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven. Turn oven temperature up to 425 degrees.

Spread pizza saude over the crust and sprinkle with cheese over the top of sauce. Layer with additional toppings if desired. Place pizza back in the oven and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and toppings cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Cut pizza into 8 slices and enjoy!!

Makes 8 servings (1 slicer per serving)
    111 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1 g sugar, 17 g protein, 300 mg sodium

Recipe adapted from dashing dish

for tacos maybe go with veggie meat or shrimp and extra thin corn tortillas for fewer cals.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    add booze and I can be there soon
  • auddii
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Am I the only one who went straight to taco pizza?

When I was in middle school home ec we made Tortilla Pizzas. Flour tortilla, bake for 5 min till crispy, then add taco sauce, taco meat, pepperoni and mozzerella cheese. Bake another 5-10 min to melt the chEese. So delicious, I made them several times a week for my after school snack!

Ha, I was thinking of the rather nasty concoction from cici's.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Buy one or two slices of pizza somewhere. If you want it that much, it's not that hard to fit a couple slices.

For tacos, I don't see the problem, honestly, they are usually pretty low calorie.

You sound rather rude to be honest. I didn't ask what I could do to fit it into my calorie goal.... Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one! I was asking for HEALTHIER versions of both foods, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they may currently be.

If we don't know how you currently make your tacos and pizza, how could we possibly offer you healthier versions? Also, what constitutes healthy in this case? Low cal?

Exactly this, OP. I don't think pizza or tacos are particularly unhealthy (at least not the ones I get, don't know what yours might involve or how you define healthy), but they can be high cal. For ones that are lower cal, have better balanced macros, and lots of vegetables (what I usually want in a meal), I would make the following changes:

Pizza -- very thin crust (when I make it at home I like the way this tastes anyway), don't go overboard on the cheese or the olive oil, add some kind of lean meat instead of a higher fat option, include vegetables. Maybe eat with a side salad.

Taco -- figure out a tortilla that works for you from a calorie/taste perspective or make your own (I never make tacos at home for some reason, so have no recommendations here), careful about oil when cooking the tortilla, go light on the cheese if you decide to use it, same with any high cal sauce, add lots of veg, use a lean meat option for the filling and don't fry it or cook it in lots of oil before adding. You could also skip some of the high cal bits and make something like a burrito bowl if you love the mix of ingredients and hot/sauce or guac and don't care about the tortillas, but likely if you are craving tacos you mean with tortilla. Guac, btw, is a good example of why "healthy" can be confusing -- avocados are really good for you and you can make a healthy guac easily, but it's still going to be high cal, especially in larger quantities.

You can really figure out what works calorie-wise by creating a recipe in advance and remembering to add in all the extras like the cooking oil and sauces.

The most challenging thing to me about fitting pizza into a day (and this might be true with tacos too, I just don't eat them much) is that it tends to be low on protein vs. carbs and fat and may not have the amount of veg I like to eat. I mostly fix that by eating more protein vs. fat/carbs at my other meals that day, and either seek out an option with more veg or add a salad, as noted above.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    With tacos, I don't change anything except that I use low fat sour cream, reduced calorie shredded cheese and load it with extra vegetables. I have taco night a few times a month.

The key is just planning your day ahead so that you can enjoy what you like. Try pre-logging everything you want to eat at a meal a day ahead then you will know how many calories you have left for the rest of the day. If you pre-log and it is higher in calories than you thought it would be, swap out a few ingredients...thin crust for regular crust...canadian bacon for pepperoni...mushroom for olives, etc. until you have a pizza (or any other food you love and want to eat) that you will enjoy and will still fit into your overall diet plan.
  • auddii
    Options
    With tacos, I don't change anything except that I use low fat sour cream, reduced calorie shredded cheese and load it with extra vegetables. I have taco night a few times a month.

The key is just planning your day ahead so that you can enjoy what you like. Try pre-logging everything you want to eat at a meal a day ahead then you will know how many calories you have left for the rest of the day. If you pre-log and it is higher in calories than you thought it would be, swap out a few ingredients...thin crust for regular crust...canadian bacon for pepperoni...mushroom for olives, etc. until you have a pizza (or any other food you love and want to eat) that you will enjoy and will still fit into your overall diet plan.

I like using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream for the extra dose of protein.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I like using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream for the extra dose of protein.

I do that sometimes too. Plain Greek yogurt is a heavenly little item to keep in the fridge!
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We usually have tacos here once a week. We do ground turkey instead of ground beef, and I use corn tortillas instead of the huge flour ones that my husband likes. Tacos definitely aren't unhealthy unless you eat like 10 of them lol. As far as pizza goes, English muffins or flatbreads don't really do it for me, but I recently tried a cauliflower crust and it was delicious! Tasted just like a thin crust pizza! :) Here's the recipe if you want to try it!

http://www.eatagreatdeal.com/2015/01/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html