Ok I'll bite - is "cooking and food prep" really exercise?

Options

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Or, you know... if this is your kitchen: 12-e-69-st-kitchen-2-nyc.jpg

Or if you are this guy:
    tcnljghdmnyu.jpg

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    a lot of these people are disabled or chronically ill. I'm often bed bound so if I manage a small walk, I do log it, even if it is 5 minutes. Some of my friends on here have similar illnesses or physical challenges, a bit of cleaning or whatever is movement or activity that they can't usually manage
    It might seem " pathetic" to you, but if that is a small achievement for someone who is normally too unwell to manage it, then yes they'll log it

I thought it always came down to, is it something you do everyday as part of life, or is it out of the ordinary? For these kinds of people, it may very well be above and beyond what they're able to do on a regular basis. But I imagine their calorie recommendation, even at sedentary, is based on the assumption they are doing these things already, so I wouldn't think it would be wise to count on a calorie boost from it. They may want to log it as a means of tracking their own personal activity/improvement however.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    a lot of these people are disabled or chronically ill. I'm often bed bound so if I manage a small walk, I do log it, even if it is 5 minutes. Some of my friends on here have similar illnesses or physical challenges, a bit of cleaning or whatever is movement or activity that they can't usually manage
    It might seem " pathetic" to you, but if that is a small achievement for someone who is normally too unwell to manage it, then yes they'll log it

It really is a matter of individual circumstances. I am a reasonable healthy adult so I only log purposeful exercise. I do have an activity tracker and get extra calories for steps so my cooking and house cleaning will fall into that scenario but log them, no. It is part of my daily activity.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

I did not use the word "pathetic"! I think every person on my feed is fantastic, and I would never criticize someone who had difficulty with "ordinary" things like cooking and cleaning. I myself rarely do it, as I live with my family and just don't have those responsibilities too often.

This is totally a valid point that I didn't think of. I've seen people log it daily. If it was say 10 calories burned for 20 minutes of cooking/cleaning, it would seem reasonable and I'd think nothing of it, I might have done it myself. But I see hundreds of calories logged, something like 200 for an hour, and it seemed off to me. I wondered what people's perception of it was, so I posted to the forum here.

I suppose, from people's responses, either it takes an extraordinary amount of energy for a person to cook/clean (as in the situation you describe), or they live in a setting where it would be difficult to cook/clean (eg. w/o electricity), or they are simply searching for some extra calories (as other people posted).
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

I think the issue is with the calories burned! If it is a disabled or chronically ill person you wouldn't be logging it for the burn but more for the fact that you were actually able to do it and so you can see that you achieved it. Others do it to try and manipulate calories or make excuses to eat more then complain they aren't losing weight!
  • summerkissed
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I see it all over my feed, people burning hundreds of calories by cooking! I wear a step counter, and I spent 2h cooking today, and my step counter told me I have burned no calories. Is this real?

Haha I think you will find its a bit of a joke.....I logged 3hr of sunbaking the other day just being silly :sunglasses:

I think they are deadly serious and seriously grasping at straws... I often wonder if they do jazzercise or cartwheel back and forth in their kitchen when they're cooking :huh:

Hehe I seen a girl log dog washing lol because she had to hold the dog with her legs so she must have been able to burn cals through that!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I see it all over my feed, people burning hundreds of calories by cooking! I wear a step counter, and I spent 2h cooking today, and my step counter told me I have burned no calories. Is this real?

It's not exercise, it is general activity...even a sedentary activity level is going to include up to 5,000 steps, so I'd think it would cover most cooking and general cleaning and other daily type activities.

• summerkissed
    Options
    I also seen one when a girl missed the bus and window shopped till the next bus so she wanted to know how to log 30min of window shopping
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I don't count any calories I burned that I don't "exert."
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I saw people log " pushing a grocery cart for 10 mins " as exercise.

For me, cooking and shopping is not a workout. Its part of my daily life.

I've also seen people log sex. That's tmi and doesn't burn as much as one might think anyway.

For someone who is basically bed ridden then maybe it counts as a workout for them. But it doesn't for me. I only log what I do at the gym.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Thanks, I didn't know that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm chronically ill and wouldn't put cooking as exercise or the 30+ times a day during a bad flare running to the bathroom. It's just a part of life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know, when I cook I take steps so I do end up exercising a little, lol. Thanks, Fitbit.

As you do doing everything else in life, like walking to the bathroom. Thus: lifestyle.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Depends on the prep. Cooking a normal from scratch meal at home? No.

Volunteering for a homeless meal at church where I'm on the go for 4 straight hours in a panicked rush going back and forth for supplies, hauling out garbage, shifting around Nesco roasters, chopping, mixing, serving, wiping down tables, mopping floors, washing dishes, drying, and stacking dishes and working up a sweat the whole time? Yes.

Until you've cooked in the latter situation, I can totally see the doubt. But do that once, and you'll know why it's logged! (Not saying that some people won't cheat, but seriously, that only hurts their weight loss, but for those that do, it's nice to have!)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Some people's cooking is more physically strenuous than other people's cooking. If you were carrying large heavy bags of rice, moving heavy pots of water, peeling and chopping, kneading dough by hand, climbing step ladders or bending to get things out of cupboards repeatedly, walking back and forth across a large kitchen, etc that is different activity and would burn more calories than taking few steps in a small kitchen, cutting a few things and stirring a pot.
    I don't usually log it because cooking is normal everyday activity for me.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I did not use the word "pathetic"! I think every person on my feed is fantastic, and I would never criticize someone who had difficulty with "ordinary" things like cooking and cleaning. I myself rarely do it, as I live with my family and just don't have those responsibilities too often.

This is totally a valid point that I didn't think of. I've seen people log it daily. If it was say 10 calories burned for 20 minutes of cooking/cleaning, it would seem reasonable and I'd think nothing of it, I might have done it myself. But I see hundreds of calories logged, something like 200 for an hour, and it seemed off to me. I wondered what people's perception of it was, so I posted to the forum here.

I suppose, from people's responses, either it takes an extraordinary amount of energy for a person to cook/clean (as in the situation you describe), or they live in a setting where it would be difficult to cook/clean (eg. w/o electricity), or they are simply searching for some extra calories (as other people posted).

No you're right I'm sorry I should have made it clearer that it wasn't you that said pathetic.
    If I sounded grumpy it wasn't at you personally, as I understand that it is a strange thing for an able bodied person to wonder about. I can be bed bound for days on end therefore I guess I'm literally the most sedentary a person can be and at tdee. So when I have a day when I'm up and moving it isn't the norm for me, so I would then log things that might seem very small or for the average person a normal part of their day. Hope that makes sense :)
    pathetic

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no. not for the average person.

neither is cleaning your house, taking out the trash or washing dishes.

now for my ex, who is disabled and partially paralyzed.... yes.doing those types or normal activities takes a HUGE amount of effort for him, and really isn't possible many times.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Depends on the prep. Cooking a normal from scratch meal at home? No.

Volunteering for a homeless meal at church where I'm on the go for 4 straight hours in a panicked rush going back and forth for supplies, hauling out garbage, shifting around Nesco roasters, chopping, mixing, serving, wiping down tables, mopping floors, washing dishes, drying, and stacking dishes and working up a sweat the whole time? Yes.

Until you've cooked in the latter situation, I can totally see the doubt. But do that once, and you'll know why it's logged! (Not saying that some people won't cheat, but seriously, that only hurts their weight loss, but for those that do, it's nice to have!)

Wow! When I've volunteered cooking for homeless people it was a looooot calmer. It was probably about 3h but you rotated through dif jobs (like I collected plates, washed dishes, and served eggs). But I wasn't in charge of anything, so making things run smoothly wasn't my job. But for sure if you're that busy I'd see it logged, but I'd also see a step counter probably catching that for you.
  • kiela64
    Options

No you're right I'm sorry I should have made it clearer that it wasn't you that said pathetic.
    If I sounded grumpy it wasn't at you personally, as I understand that it is a strange thing for an able bodied person to wonder about. I can be bed bound for days on end therefore I guess I'm literally the most sedentary a person can be and at tdee. So when I have a day when I'm up and moving it isn't the norm for me, so I would then log things that might seem very small or for the average person a normal part of their day. Hope that makes sense :)
    pathetic

Oh ok! Yes thank you, I hadn't seen that other post. And thank you for your input, I can definitely see the use of logging it now!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can I just say bravo to the lovely people volunteering with the homeless <3