Always Hungry -- Not enough calories

Options
Howdy,in Dec 2012 I met with a nutritionist and by June 2013 I was just about at my goal weight. I went to the gym almost daily and ate lots of fruits, veggies and protein to get to that point. I was in college and for that semester I kind of kept to myself and pretty much locked myself in my room except when I had to go to class or the gym...

However, by the end of 2013 I had gained all the weight back and I am struggling to even maintain my weight. Not trying to "blame" anything but I was on co-op (fancy way of saying "interning") at the time and I just ended up being too tired/stressed to even care anymore...and stopped logging food because I was always over my calories anyway and I didn't see a point in logging.

Any advice? I find myself always hungry and anxious. I eat when anxious and bored...and also as just a habit. I feel like, when I lost all that weight, I was really just starving myself frankly...

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, chose foods that are more filling for less calories. Don't drink your calories. When I'm bored instead of eating I make tea. That will definitely make you less anxious as well
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating? What is your weight loss goal? How many pounds are you planning on losing every week?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Set a low deficit on MFP. This will give you the most calories while losing.
    Weigh and measure all solids and liquids.
    Pre log your food if it makes it easier, and leave calories for snacks.
    See if finding other things to do ( knit, chew gum, do crosswords, etc) will help with the anxiety and boredom snacking.

Cheers, h.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Start fresh! How you did it then is not how you should do it now.
    First, are you weighing your food and logging it?
    If I were to address the hunger and anxiety issues, I would start with some macro goals and some daily walking, especially in the morning! Set macros to track Protein Carbs Fat Fiber and Sugar. Eat plenty of protein (your LBM in grams of protein), fat and fiber(45g+) to keep full for longer.
    To correct an appetite that is too big, exclude fruit from your diet for a few days or a week (fructose stimulates your appetite), then reintroduce a small serving daily. Keep your sugar intake low.

If you have used herbs before, consider St Johns Wort for anxiety. Also Lemon Balm is soothing w/out causing drowsiness.

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Water. I noticed that I was often times mistaking thirst for hunger. Since I've increased my Water intake I've had a lot easier time staying within my calories
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's natural for people to mistake thirst for hunger. I like these ideas to help with that... https://www.missouriwestern.edu/hr/wp-content/uploads/sites/254/2013/12/BCBS-Newsletter-September-2014.pdf m0iw02w0m5zz.jpeg
    samchez0 wrote: »
    Water. I noticed that I was often times mistaking thirst for hunger. Since I've increased my Water intake I've had a lot easier time staying within my calories