Dropping two dress sizes in just under 6 months.... can it be done?

So I'm 27, 5"3 and currently weight 10st 11lbs. I fit into a size 12/14 depending where I shop.

I've decided this is the year I have to start making changes. I've manged to lose 7lbs in 2 weeks with a smoothie detox and I'm currently restricting my calorie intake at 1200 per day.

I've booked a holiday for July and I've got loads of size 8 and 10 clothes that I would love to wear. For a bit of motivation my partner has just brought me two playsuit that are a size 10.

I'm good for the diet side but what can I do to ensure I lose inches and drop dress sizes in terms of gym and exercise.

I want to comfortably fit into a size 10 by July if it is possible.

Also, what foods should I be eating. I've cut carbs except for fruit and veg carbs and I'm drinking two smoothies a day and one healthy meal (this works for me due to being a nurse, grab and go).

Exercise varies for me. Some days I can clock up to and over 10,000 steps on my fitbit. Somedays i only clock 1,000. So i would say my exercise level is sedentary due to night shifts being much quieter.
I was thinking about swimming every morning after my night shifts and then weight training at the 24hr gym on my breaks.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    If you plan to workout daily which i encourage you to do to lose inches, I would plan to eat more than the MFP standard setting of 1200.
  • camason1988
    camason1988 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    If you plan to workout daily which i encourage you to do to lose inches, I would plan to eat more than the MFP standard setting of 1200.
    Thank you for your reply. I've got a fit bit which works out how much more I need to eat according to how many steps I do. I'm also logging exercise manually which adds extra calories on. Like today I went for a 20 minute run so I have an extra 300 calories to eat. Problem is, I struggle to eat those 300 extra calories whilst maintaining healthy eating.

Any suggestions of higher calorie (200-300) foods or snacks I could have but are healthy and carb free if possible...

I'm determined to do this now. Since I was 20 I've been saying I'll tone up and now I'm 3 dress sizes larger.. lol.

Still a bit anxious about the strength training. I have little to no muscle and I know even the lightest weights are going to be difficult and with such a male dominated area, I'm feeling slightly nervous approaching those weights. I may just have to try ask them for tips, maybe that's the way to break the barrier.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    most people eat around half of their exercise calories back, as both MFP and fitbit can over-estimate the burn. But you will need more than 1200 calories for sure.

Weights are a great idea, best way to get in the weight room if to find a straightforward programme like Stronglifts 5X5, and then ask one of the gym employees to show you the necessary equipment you'll need. Ask them to show you how to use them for the lifts you need, but follow that up with Youtube videos!! You may need to find smaller than the olympic bar to start, as that on it's own weighs 20kg and I struggle on some lifts with that.

One other thing - I find swimming makes me RAVENOUS!!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I just read a blog about a guy who dropped from 290 to 178lbs in 10 months-- It can be done yes can you do it?? Its all you!!

I dare you to do it!!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Still a bit anxious about the strength training. I have little to no muscle and I know even the lightest weights are going to be difficult and with such a male dominated area, I'm feeling slightly nervous approaching those weights. I may just have to try ask them for tips, maybe that's the way to break the barrier.

I would absolutely encourage you to start lifting weights - I've been having trouble losing weight, only 8 pounds down, BUT since I started lifting weights two months ago I've lost an inch off my thighs, and two inches from hips and waist. Strength training doesn't even have to be at the gym - I'm mostly lifting free weights at the gym, and lifting as heavy as I can, but a few of my exercises only use resistance bands or a yoga mat.

I think your goal is totally achievable - I figure 15-20 pounds per dress size for myself, and I'm trying to lose 50 total (8 down, 42 to go!) by July. Want to be accountability partners?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2016
    oh absolutely doable that you will fit into those clothes this summer :smile: eat at deficit and workout too, that helps big time. Every 10lbs approx you lose will be a dress size down :smile:

ps I'm similar height and went from 11st to 9 1/2 size 14 to 8-10 in a year but I chose to have less of a deficit and lose slowly cos that way I never felt I was on a diet. I lose 1/2lb a week eating 1800 cals a day.

Your Fitbit is a great guide to how much you should be eating, eat at deficit of the end of day total it gives you.

Plan to get around 7k-10k steps in a day, that will help with the weight loss.

All the best. :)
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Two sizes would be 20 lbs for me-
    very doable
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Very very doable. I wouldn't expect they same weight loss after the detox but honestly 5-8lbs a month will definitely, safely, and healthily get you there!