Bulking

Options
Hi guys I'm after any advise
I've been in the gym sold for 2 years and have always been quite lean. I'm assuming my diet is to blame. I've been reading posts about increasing calorie intake by 250-500g. How is the best way to figure out my calories for maintain. Any help would be appreciated cheers

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are numerous calculators, including this one that will calculate a reasonable estimate...from there, you log as accurately as possible and make adjustments as necessary.

Conversely, if you're currently maintaining just log everything you're eating every day. It won't be a fixed number, it will be a range.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Increase by 250kcal per day for a few weeks. If you gain, cut back. If you maintain, awesome. If you lose, increase.

Unfortunately, this number will not be hard and firm and will change based on your activity level. I tend to maintain between 2500-3000kcal/day depending on how often I lift that week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There are numerous calculators, including this one that will calculate a reasonable estimate...from there, you log as accurately as possible and make adjustments as necessary.

Conversely, if you're currently maintaining just log everything you're eating every day. It won't be a fixed number, it will be a range.

Pretty much this.

Even the best calculators can be off. Log your food for a 3 or 4 weeks and monitor weight trends. From there you can add more calories.
  • bennji1624
    bennji1624 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the info guys.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There is an online spreadsheet that requires you to log your weight and calories consumed every day to determine your ACTUAL TDEE, since all the online ones are just estimates. Personally I was just fine with the estimate +500 calories, as you can measure yourself weekly and see the general trend.

Note that skinny people overestimate how much they eat, so track your calories accurately, at least for the first 3 weeks so that you have a feel for it!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. specify Age, height, weight, percent body fat, current calorie intake, and goal/s.