Soreness

Options
I've started recently trying to lose weight and get fit. The past few days I've been jogging. My legs are so sore now! How do you workout when Youre in pain? I was hurting so bad I didn't finish my run.

Replies

• jpsincere
    jpsincere Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alternate different types of cardio
  • SweetShannaBee
    SweetShannaBee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm so ashamed I don't know how to work out. I'd never had a weight problem until marriage and kids, lol. What types of cardio do you like/recommend?
  • jpsincere
    Options
    Row Machine, swimming, & HIIT
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Rest/recovery is just as important. If you are just starting, maybe try a program like""C25K" (couch to 5K).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    get a foam roller! and make sure you do dynamic warm ups before and stretch after you run/jog. also epsom salt baths can help.make sure you take a rest day and maybe just walk that day.
  • VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is inevitable when you start using your muscles in a new or more intense way. Make sure to stretch quads, hamstrings, inner & outer thighs, and calves after a run. Maybe take a rest day to allow muscle repair. A friend tells me that chocolate milk after a run prevents muscle soreness for her. Sore muscles are part of the fitness process and will lead to increased muscle strength. If you're experiencing joint pain...now that's not a good thing. Good luck and keep on keeping on!
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What jpsincere said. I personally go to the gym - so I switch up from the stairmaster, the elliptical, the elevated treadmill, the spinner .. I switch it up. If my legs are sore, I take advantage of the battling ropes at my gym. If you're not a gym member, try resting more. Rest is VERY important. Alternate your days of jogging with walking. Walk swiftly to raise your heartrate; but focus more on moving. Don't overdo the jogging, as it can make you very sore and discourage you from moving in the days following. The Couch to 5k program is great for building stamina.
  • jpsincere
    Options
    What jpsincere said. I personally go to the gym - so I switch up from the stairmaster, the elliptical, the elevated treadmill, the spinner .. I switch it up. If my legs are sore, I take advantage of the battling ropes at my gym. If you're not a gym member, try resting more. Rest is VERY important. Alternate your days of jogging with walking. Walk swiftly to raise your heartrate; but focus more on moving. Don't overdo the jogging, as it can make you very sore and discourage you from moving in the days following. The Couch to 5k program is great for building stamina.

Well said