Gastric Band

Options
Hi I started another thread recently about considering a gastric band and was shocked when most people replied they are not that good and do not result in that much weight loss. I wondered if anyone here had gotten a gastric band and what effect it had on them.

Replies

• wandawesthaver5
    Options
    I didn't have Gastric Band but I had the Verticle Sleeve Gastrectomy on May 6/13 and am down 45 lbs to date. There was another lady there getting the sleeve done as well that had the band and it was not successful for her.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Is it life or death? I hope you don't think I'm being sarcastic or rude, as I'm not trying to, but couldn't you set yourself a target of say 2/3 years to get the weight down? Needless to say I know nothing about you I'm just looking in from the outside so to speak.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So you started a thread and didn't get the answer you wanted so you started another. Do you think the facts are now going to change with a different thread? Surgery should be a last resort not a first resort, Try eating more fiber, up your protein, cut carbs slightly, exercise more. Create a deficit and you will lose weight. That can be done without invasive surgery that is riddled with complications up to and including death.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry - your ticket says you have 19 kg to lose. Why would you be considering surgery? That's a pretty drastic measure. I'm not saying that 19 kg is EASY but it's certainly doable.
  • Stacebob85
    Stacebob85 Posts: 95
    Options
    Aside from the act that, from your ticker, it seems that surgery would be unneccassary, the biggest issue here is whether you'd be mentally prepared for surgery. You need to address your eating habits and behaviours first to ensure that, once surgery has taken place, you won't just continue to live as you do now and regain any weight you initially use. This actually happens to a surprising number of surgery patients, and it's recommended that anyone considering surgery tries to lose weight and maintain that loss for 3-6 months before surgery, almost as proof that you can cope with eating sensibly and making good choices.
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i had it done 8 months ago down from 236 to 174 and still going it was an easy fix at first but after the first two stone i needed to watch everything. if i dont calorie count i dont lose i would be at a loss without myfitnesspal im an emotional eater and it stops me from that you can cheat yes crisps chocolate etc but my health was more important to me it works if you follow the rules. if you wanna talk to me about it feel free to add me
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My sister had it done and had a lot of complications afterwards, and possibly will the rest of her life because of it. In my personal opinion, for the cost and it being a surgery and what she went thru afterwards, I don't think it was worth it and neither does she. For what it's worth, I've lost more weight this past year just from making better food choices than she has from surgery, and you still have to put in the work after. This is also just one case, but after seeing her experience it was enough to freak me out, just make sure to do research and make sure it's the right choice for you.